Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 Performance vs BMW M3 - The Mic Drop

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And looks like they are brave enough to add capacity warranty as well.
Why I'm saying brave is because the only way to test this is literally run an 8 year test. No one has time for that so they do predictions based on accelerated aging and projecting results into the future.

Perhaps not as "brave" as you suggest. Professor Dahn's research has resulted in fast testing protocols using very precise measurement capabilities which, when run on battery chemistries of known long-term performance, produced predictions that have correlated closely with real-world performance.

The mic dropped a little further yesterday with the $2900 price cut, improved acceleration, and increased top speed. Even if BMW M3 is a "better" car, is it $8500 (or $12250 with tax credit) better?

Screen Shot 2019-03-01 at 9.41.26 AM.png

The mic dropped a little further yesterday with the $2900 price cut, improved acceleration, and increased top speed. Even if BMW M3 is a "better" car, is it $8500 (or $12250 with tax credit) better?

View attachment 381929

I know Tesla takes heat for including fuel cost savings in their online configurator but if you are considering a car for a daily driver (which the Tesla can be) then it makes sense to me:

For instance vs BMW M3: At 58k base price now, the P3D is $12250 cheaper (base), has AWD vs RWD, does 0-60 in in .7s second faster and saves about $9000 over 5 years in fuel costs if you drive 15k miles per year. So given fuel and base price costs the P3D is $21250 cheaper to own over a 5 year period as a daily driver. That is a pretty stark difference.

vs the Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio the price difference is even more stark: About $30045 more to drive daily over 5 years of ownership.

This is also excluding maintenance costs, and depreciation, which we think will be another P3D advantage.

See BMW M3 2019 pricing/specs: 2019 BMW M3 Reviews | BMW M3 Price, Photos, and Specs | Car and Driver
See Quadrifoglio pricing/specs: 2019 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio Reviews | Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio Price, Photos, and Specs | Car and Driver

I really wish Tesla would take out some ads pointing out how bad they spank the sport sedan segment.

Reactions: gavine
Reactions: Nocturnal
Model 3P also has standard features that are extra on the BMW M3, including:

Carbon fiber spoiler $795
Parking distance sensors $750
Blind spot detection/warning $500
Driving assistance package $500
Metal pedals $275

Total $2820

So the difference compared to the base 3P is $11,320, before fuel savings, tax credit, etc.

Last edited:
Also to be fair AP isn't "free" it's been reduced from a $3000 option to a $2000 mandatory addition.

It's also probably not fair to have been listing the carbon fiber spoiler as "included" on the Tesla since most P buyers sure didn't get one included when they took delivery :)

Also to be fair AP isn't "free" it's been reduced from a $3000 option to a $2000 mandatory addition.

It's also probably not fair to have been listing the carbon fiber spoiler as "included" on the Tesla since most P buyers sure didn't get one included when they took delivery :)

Actually AP is free. Model 3 Performance pricing didn’t change when they removed SR and LR RWD from the website. Still $59,500.

Yeah, I should have put in parenthesis (available for install after delivery; though most haven’t received yet and those that did are waiting for a replacement cause the first batch was defective). ;)