Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 Rattle noise?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey, I recently took delivery on a 2022 Model 3 and much like everyone else I very much enjoy the car. Being this is my first Tesla and my first electric vehicle I have some questions on the different behavior this car has. I read a lot of forums asking what certain noises mean but I've had no luck finding exactly the same issue I'm having which is a rattling noise after opening my door. Ill try to attach a video file of the noise I heard and ill explain exactly what I did before I began recording in hopes that someone can relate or explain to me if this is normal.

The sequence of events...
It is currently 17 degrees in Chicago and the Tesla was delivered about 5 days ago, I've gotten used the whines is does whilst charging however this sound very much sounded like a fan of some kind banging. I had left my car charging over night and this morning I woke up and unplugged my charger but forgot to preheat the car before I got it so I unplugged the car and turned the cars climate on through the app. I stood outside next to the car to see what sounds it would make after turning the climate on from the app and sure enough the fans (or whatever it is) began spinning as normal. I went back inside and came back out once the app told me it was ready to go. I opened my door and the noise began to change into a rattle. The car was still stationary immediately after I opened the door the rattle began. Admittedly the video picks up the sound much louder than I heard it in person however it almost made it seem like it really had a combustion engine in it because the sound was so obnoxious. It slowly went away after about 30 seconds and confused I took the car to grab coffee and came back working perfectly fine and not showing any errors.

Below ill attach the video and hopefully someone can direct me to what I should do next is this a normal sound to hear. Again the video emphasizes the noise a little bit more than I personally heard it but this particular noise didn't sit right with me and would hate for it to happen again.

Attachments

• Tesla Model 3 Noise.mov.zip
    5.8 MB · Views: 330
Please upload the video to YouTube, and share the link...
Youtube link:

Quick update, I retraced my steps and did exactly as I did before that made the noise. Unplugged the car, turned the climate on from app, waited 5 minutes and opened the door. The fan began to stop with no rattling noise. My uneducated guess as to what this was is it could possible be build up of ice inside a component where a fan is spinning because yesterday it was 37 degrees and went to a touch-less car wash and overnight began to freeze. This morning the door handles had ice in between the door handles and the door panel. Im assuming something similar happened internally which led the the rattling after the fan began to shut off. Once again this is just my guess could totally be wrong still very much looking for an explaination.

Upvote 0
Unplugged the car, turned the climate on from app, waited 5 minutes and opened the door. The fan began to stop with no rattling noise. My uneducated guess as to what this was is it could possible be build up of ice inside a component where a fan is spinning because yesterday it was 37 degrees and went to a touch-less car wash and overnight began to freeze. This morning the door handles had ice in between the door handles and the door panel. Im assuming something similar happened internally which led the the rattling after the fan began to shut off. Once again this is just my guess could totally be wrong still very much looking for an explaination.

That sounds like a bad or dying pump or fan. Could be the coolant pump that circulates warmed coolant to the batteries/cabin, or could be air flow fan.
Either way, this definitely does NOT sound right.
Schedule a service appointment with Tesla SC via the app, and include the video clip as evidence.

Good luck!
a

Upvote 0
If the sound is gone after the ice has melted, this is likely ice buildup on the fan, which causes rattling due to it being unbalanced. This has been reported many times in the forum for those that live in climates that can have freezing temps. If the sound persists even after, then it is something else.

To be safe you can send the clip to service also, detailing the circumstances (including temperature). They may point out the same thing or they may check out the car.

Upvote 0
If the sound is gone after the ice has melted, this is likely ice buildup on the fan, which causes rattling due to it being unbalanced. This has been reported many times in the forum for those that live in climates that can have freezing temps. If the sound persists even after, then it is something else.

To be safe you can send the clip to service also, detailing the circumstances (including temperature). They may point out the same thing or they may check out the car.
Im starting to believe that it was ice, I ended up going to Tesla service the same day it happened to asked them about it and said it is indeed a sound that shouldn't happen and that they were almost 100% certain it was a fan. If it happens again, I'll schedule service. The touch-less carwash might've sprayed water into the fan then froze overnight. I find it interesting that it only started making that noise when the fan was turning off and not when it first started spinning.

Im a new owner so still learning the rights and wrongs, will no longer be washing the vehicle before a freezing night. Thank you for your guys help and very fast responses 👍👍

Upvote 0
Im starting to believe that it was ice, I ended up going to Tesla service the same day it happened to asked them about it and said it is indeed a sound that shouldn't happen and that they were almost 100% certain it was a fan. If it happens again, I'll schedule service. The touch-less carwash might've sprayed water into the fan then froze overnight. I find it interesting that it only started making that noise when the fan was turning off and not when it first started spinning.

Im a new owner so still learning the rights and wrongs, will no longer be washing the vehicle before a freezing night. Thank you for your guys help and very fast responses 👍👍
Fan imbalance vibration/rattle typically happens at a particular rpm and not necessarily throughout the whole rpm range. If it happens when fan was turning off, I'm guessing it's at the lower rpms where the fan may still be spinning from its own momentum.

Upvote 0
Youtube link:

Quick update, I retraced my steps and did exactly as I did before that made the noise. Unplugged the car, turned the climate on from app, waited 5 minutes and opened the door. The fan began to stop with no rattling noise. My uneducated guess as to what this was is it could possible be build up of ice inside a component where a fan is spinning because yesterday it was 37 degrees and went to a touch-less car wash and overnight began to freeze. This morning the door handles had ice in between the door handles and the door panel. Im assuming something similar happened internally which led the the rattling after the fan began to shut off. Once again this is just my guess could totally be wrong still very much looking for an explaination.
OMG that sounds horrific!

Upvote 0

Hi, I have started getting the same noise after the touchless car wash. How your issue was fixed ? Was it expensive to fix it?

Upvote 0