Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 Update in Toronto without WIFI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone,
I live in Toronto and I learned recently through a Tesla Service Agent that they discontinued over the air update using the car data plan, which, event if it make sense financially for them, must sucks for a lot of people like me who do not have a house with a WIFI connection.

So I was wondering if anyone else had the same problem and figured out a spot or a good way to get these updated, I've tried to go close to coffee shop and such but the wifi signal was never strong enough or the authentication protocol that they were using wasn't supported by the car.

Thx in advance,
Cheers,
Kev

The most popular technique is to tether the car to a cell phone data plan. Updates are somewhere between a few hundred megabytes and 2GB. If there's an update available that your car is waiting for wifi to download, once you provide it wifi within the next 15 minutes you should see it slurp down the update in two big pieces and a brief pause in between, and then 5 minutes or so after that you'll get the yellow alarm clock. On most LTE services, if nothing happens within 15-20 minutes, that means you don't have an update and you can try again later.

You can also try to beg a service agent to push an update to you. If they initiate the update on their end, your car will download it even if you're not on wifi.

You can also go to the service center and hop on the Tesla Service WiFi, which usually reaches out into the parking lot. This will immediately push any available software updates to the car. This can take up to 15 minutes, so it's best to do it after hours when the service center isn't busy.

Hello everyone,
I live in Toronto and I learned recently through a Tesla Service Agent that they discontinued over the air update using the car data plan, which, event if it make sense financially for them, must sucks for a lot of people like me who do not have a house with a WIFI connection.

So I was wondering if anyone else had the same problem and figured out a spot or a good way to get these updated, I've tried to go close to coffee shop and such but the wifi signal was never strong enough or the authentication protocol that they were using wasn't supported by the car.

Thx in advance,
Cheers,

Kev

I have never received any update without using the wifi. I use my iPhone's hotspot and has worked fine so far.

My home WiFi isn't powerful enough to reach my car so I sometimes use the local library's. However, my car is still updating via 3G. Got an upload only last week via 3G.
If you did it’s likely because of the service center pushing an update to you for some reason. Remote diagnostics, etc.

The “download on LTE” date is set to like year 2030 or something on recent updates.