Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TESLA MODEL 3 vs BMW I3 vs CHEVY BOLT - Comparison

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Yes, really:

When asked about an increasing number of plans from its larger peers to compete with its electric vehicles by building their own electric models, Musk said he was "glad."
"I hope they move even faster than they announce," Musk said.

And making fun of other cars helps

Yes, but only other ICE cars... sorry to hurt your feelings.... or rather an ICE car's feelings.... :rolleyes: ...this "EV-hole" doesn't really care. My concern is for my children's, and their children's, futures, rather than for thin-skinned ICE drivers.

I'm certain, too, that automobile drivers mocked those whose clung to the horse and buggy rather than changing with the times.

Without getting snarky there are a couple of interesting observations from this picture. First, while the M3 is obviously much longer than either of the others, judging from the size of the doors and the placement of the steering wheels there appears to be much more leg room in the M3, especially in the back seat. I guess that would be as expected. The less obvious thing that I noticed was that the other two models initially appear to be much taller than the M3, which they are, but if you look at the floor to roof height the M3 would appear to have more head room than either of the others as well due to it being much lower to the ground. Very interesting comparison I think.

Dan

I i3 looks so narrow on the road that I find that these sorts of comparisons can be deceiving. On an i3 site they like to post a pic of an i3 next to a model S. The i3 looks like a substantial car in that photo. Yet in "3D" the i3 is not remotely substantial.

So I wonder if the model 3 will feel as large as it looks in photos.

Am I right in saying that the actual cabin height (floor to roof) appears to be bigger in the Model 3 than the others?

Dan

All three cars have a thick battery pack in the floor. One reason that the i3 and Bolt need fairly tall roofs and the Model 3 has the glass no crossbar design in the rear. That makes it difficult to judge interior height. The longer Model 3 has a less upright seating posture, though.

I i3 looks so narrow on the road that I find that these sorts of comparisons can be deceiving. On an i3 site they like to post a pic of an i3 next to a model S. The i3 looks like a substantial car in that photo. Yet in "3D" the i3 is not remotely substantial.

So I wonder if the model 3 will feel as large as it looks in photos.

Judging by the Motor Trend specs the Model 3 will be wider than other cars of a similar length, so I imagine it will feel substantial. On the other hand I always feel the Model S doesn't look quite as large as it is.