Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 will have the new Autopilot 2.0 with dual cameras

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@stopcrazypp "Actually more processing power would not solve the problem. "

The closer the two cameras are together the less diiferentiation so the computer would need to be able to make up the loss.
I guess you chose to completely ignore the part where I said the computer can't process something a sensor didn't detect. For example for the Subaru system, at the farthest reaches of the system, the difference detected between the two cameras may only be 1 pixel. If you decrease the separation distance that will shrink to a subpixel level (1/4.7 to be exact), where there is essentially no difference. You can throw a supercomputer at it and it won't be able to extract information that didn't exist. This is illustrated by the "enhance" parodies that are done:

@stopcrazypp "The computer can't process something the sensors didn't detect. Tesla would need to use two higher resolution sensors that is 4.7x the horizontal resolution of Subaru's (given sensors typically increase in both horizontal and vertical resolution at the same time, in practice, that might mean a sensor with 22x the MP). That's going to be very expensive."

Well...we wouldn't want a Tesla to get as expensivel as a Subaru.
This is in response to your suggestion that it saves money to go with a stereo camera system and also evaluating what makes sense in a stereo system: a wider housing to increase the separation distance vs two closely spaced sensors with 4.7x-22x the resolution (plus the required increase in processing power, lenses, and sensor size). The latter option would be multiple times more expensive and doesn't make sense from a business perspective (which is why Subaru chose the separation distance).

Keep in mind the option for Autopilot is only $2.5k (for the Model S, might be cheaper for the 3), plus Tesla is including the hardware in a 35k EV. It is far more useful to just use a mono system plus radar (supplemented by cameras of multiple fields of view) than to invest that money on a stereo system. That seems to be the path Tesla has chosen anyways, so this discussion is kind of moot anyways.

I guess you chose to completely ignore the part where I said the computer can't process something a sensor didn't detect.

I ignored your voluminous and repetitive bad tech (read up on latest camera tech) which said that stereo cameras three inches apart could not work as well as stereo cameras thirteen inches apart as long as one had the computer power to make up for the physical difference. The computing power would be trivial and likely already in the Tesla which does more with computers than does Subaru for its top rated stereo Eyesight system for dynamic cruise and auto braking.

That Tesla is adding the stereo cameras means they will add an Eyesight type camera system and likely augment it with the existing radar.

That's good for Tesla drivers as the camera based system such as Subaru's, has proven to be best and most economical.

I ignored your voluminous and repetitive bad tech (read up on latest camera tech) which said that stereo cameras three inches apart could not work as well as stereo cameras thirteen inches apart as long as one had the computer power to make up for the physical difference. The computing power would be trivial and likely already in the Tesla which does more with computers than does Subaru for its top rated stereo Eyesight system for dynamic cruise and auto braking.
You are saying a dual camera system with the same sensors 3 inches apart would be better than one 13 inches apart just increasing the computer processing power (especially in the context of detection range)? What kind of technical basis to you have to claim that? As for my "bad tech" you have posted nothing about the tech to support your arguments.

That Tesla is adding the stereo cameras means they will add an Eyesight type camera system and likely augment it with the existing radar.
That's good for Tesla drivers as the camera based system such as Subaru's, has proven to be best and most economical.
Tesla is adding extra cameras different fields of view, not a stereo camera (which have the same field of view, just in a different position). I even posted the block diagram!

Given the new announcement today, it is very clear there is no stereo camera in Tesla's next gen system. Rather there are triple forward cameras with three different fields of view (wide, main, and narrow). Exactly as I said it would be.

enhanced-autopilot-range-abilities.jpg

All Tesla Vehicles In Production Are Equipped With Self-Driving Hardware, Model 3 Will Be Too