Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S 2015 70D slow charging - CCS upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wrong. Like I thought I made pretty clear, I'm very happy with the car just frustrated that there's no reasonably priced option to add SuC. Like I said earlier, my 60kW battery meets my needs 95% of the time, and when I retire in a few years it'll meet my needs almost 100% of the time.

I do not value FUSC as I would never use it much. Sorry but I'm just not obsessed with FUSC. That's not because "I just don't understand the benefit" it's because I DO fully understand my driving patterns and needs 99% of the time and I really don't need FUSC. I need minimal SuC as a "safety net" against getting stuck at a L2 destination charger for hours if circumstances cause me to run my battery low despite my best effort to estimate my range need for any particular day. I'm not going to spend thousands and thousands of dollars to:
1) negotiate FUSC at a discounted cost of what, like $5-8K?
2) swap out the battery pack to get get longer range and maybe FUSC
3) selling this car and spending thousands and thousands of dollars more to get get longer range and maybe FUSC

MY Option - I'll do what I've already said I'll do, I'll drive the MS 60 90%+ of the time and on those rare occasions when I need longer range I'll drive my old car I already own. And if I get rid of it at some point, my wife works part time now (3 days a week) and is thinking of retiring, so I can either switch cars with her for the day and she'll drive the MS 60 that day, or I'll just drive her car while she stays home that day. None of that requires me to spend thousands of dollars more. That is money better spent on trips to Hawaii and Aggressor Fleet dive trips!
I know you're just trying to be helpful and provide me options, but they are way off base when you read my earlier posts and desire, or lack thereof, to "buy my way out of this". I will spend some money but if I do it will be directly in proportion to what I value SuC, which isn't much due to my estimated limited use I would have. I'm not going to spend thousands to just quickly and conveniently "top off" my battery to make it home on rare occasions.

Agree. I wouldn't bet that money on my theory either. Not worth that.

Well, you're couching this as petty and malicious. I think it's more about inexperienced. All of their cars for about the past 8 years have always included Supercharger ability, so I've seen plenty of reports here on the forum from employees in Tesla sales and service who had no clue that Tesla EVER sold any cars that COULDN'T Supercharge. So this is obscure edge cases for a lot of them where there is some lack of knowledge of what to do with them. And most of the people you are dealing with aren't authorized to just create a policy that they don't have.

Not really relevant or applicable because of this previous sentence:

It's not just because it's an older model. It's because there were hardly any buyers who chose to not buy the Supercharger option. There are very few cars in this situation. All of the 85 battery size cars included it, and that was the very large majority of the Teslas sold back then. And then of the small percentage that were 60 size ones, still most people bought the Supercharger option with it. So this is the small end of the tail of the distribution.

And so this doesn't really affect about ICE car buyers being scared away from EVs because DC fast charging has been (almost) standard and included on (almost) every EV that has been made for the past decade. This just doesn't come up because it's a vanishingly small percentage that almost no one runs into from a very long ago time period. Yes, it's frustrating for you, but is extremely rare.

Yeah, that might be the best option. It originally was about that price during original purchase configuration when placing an order. Maybe you can find a service manager at another service center who can find a way to work that out.

I already told you--the battery doesn't affect the Supercharging status.

Agree. I wouldn't bet that money on my theory either. Not worth that.

Well, you're couching this as petty and malicious. I think it's more about inexperienced. All of their cars for about the past 8 years have always included Supercharger ability, so I've seen plenty of reports here on the forum from employees in Tesla sales and service who had no clue that Tesla EVER sold any cars that COULDN'T Supercharge. So this is obscure edge cases for a lot of them where there is some lack of knowledge of what to do with them. And most of the people you are dealing with aren't authorized to just create a policy that they don't have.

Not really relevant or applicable because of this previous sentence:

It's not just because it's an older model. It's because there were hardly any buyers who chose to not buy the Supercharger option. There are very few cars in this situation. All of the 85 battery size cars included it, and that was the very large majority of the Teslas sold back then. And then of the small percentage that were 60 size ones, still most people bought the Supercharger option with it. So this is the small end of the tail of the distribution.

And so this doesn't really affect about ICE car buyers being scared away from EVs because DC fast charging has been (almost) standard and included on (almost) every EV that has been made for the past decade. This just doesn't come up because it's a vanishingly small percentage that almost no one runs into from a very long ago time period. Yes, it's frustrating for you, but is extremely rare.

Yeah, that might be the best option. It originally was about that price during original purchase configuration when placing an order. Maybe you can find a service manager at another service center who can find a way to work that out.

I already told you--the battery doesn't affect the Supercharging status.
Thanks Rocky. Yeah, I don't think Tesla is going out of their way to screw me over, just that they haven't handled this very well as a "customer sat" issue for me and others in my position, even if we are a very small minority of Tesla owners. It seems like they could solve this easily and make it go away. Ultimately, for me at least, this isn't a major issue as I don't often need longer range than I have now. A limited use type of SuC licensing, for the "right to use" as well as the actual SuC usage would be a big help.

To keep slow charging vehicles from tying up SuC stations, use could be limited to say 30 minutes. At 70kWh rate, that would add 35kW to my battery, or 58%. If my SOC was 10%, that would get me to 68%, or about 100 miles of range, but Id want to get home with say 10 miles so as to not run my battery down to zero.

90 miles would be sufficient to get back home from anywhere in the suburban Chicago area. At a L2 destination charger at 5-6kWh rate, that would take 6-7 hours instead of 30 minutes. If I was closer to home, I may only need 10-15 minutes to "top off" the battery to get home. Not tying up the SuC station for hours. That's the problem Id like to solve, w/o spending thousands! That doesn't sound unreasonable does it?

Reactions: Rocky_H