Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TESLA - MODEL S - Control arms bushing kit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Xenoilphobe

Jan 2, 2014
DC Swamp
Anyone tried these yet on a 2014 P85+ or any Model S? My handling is not a great as it used to be a close to 100K miles on my car... thought this might help or is it just cheaper to buy the four control arms and save the labor on pressing these in. $800 for the four control arms or $500 plus labor to put these on the car...thoughts?

Screen Shot 2020-03-01 at 2.44.21 PM.png

If the car feels sloppy due to age, replace suspension components until it feels right again. They're wear items & if they feel loose the next step is complete failure. Adding aftermarket components on top of this system will most likely further strain components that are already on their way out making things worse, not better. Once it's handling like it was engineered to handle you can consider modifications.

• Disagree
Reactions: NiallDarwin
If the car feels sloppy due to age, replace suspension components until it feels right again. They're wear items & if they feel loose the next step is complete failure. Adding aftermarket components on top of this system will most likely further strain components that are already on their way out making things worse, not better. Once it's handling like it was engineered to handle you can consider modifications.

do you even know what you are saying? you arent adding "on top of this system". this IS the replacement suspension component from the worn out control arms. The reason to get new control arms is to replace these worn out bushings.

do you even know what you are saying? you arent adding "on top of this system". this IS the replacement suspension component from the worn out control arms. The reason to get new control arms is to replace these worn out bushings.
There's no need for you to be condescending to everyone you address in every post you make. It's rude and uncalled for. My post was only trying to help the OP out and I wasn't rude or condescending so I don't understand why you feel the need to address others in such a manner in this forum.

Bushings aren't the only wear item of the suspension system. Simply replacing bushings will increase force upstream of that point. The sway-bar itself and control arms themselves take a lot of stress on these heavy vehicles so it's more important that you're sure this is ALL the vehicle needs before proceeding or you could be causing yourself bigger problems and/or higher repair bills that could leave you stranded on the side of the road. By the time he adds in labor it wouldn't be much less to just replace the control arms. There's a reason this is the route most people go. Personally, I would never spend $500 on a bushing kit so out of principal I'd replace the control arms.

There's no need for you to be condescending to everyone you address in every post you make. It's rude and uncalled for. My post was only trying to help the OP out and I wasn't rude or condescending so I don't understand why you feel the need to address others in such a manner in this forum.

Bushings aren't the only wear item of the suspension system. Simply replacing bushings will increase force upstream of that point. The sway-bar itself and control arms themselves take a lot of stress on these heavy vehicles so it's more important that you're sure this is ALL the vehicle needs before proceeding or you could be causing yourself bigger problems and/or higher repair bills that could leave you stranded on the side of the road. By the time he adds in labor it wouldn't be much less to just replace the control arms. There's a reason this is the route most people go. Personally, I would never spend $500 on a bushing kit so out of principal I'd replace the control arms.

I get what you are saying and agree with your point. Every car is different and every situation is different, but your point is conventionally accepted. Certain components and systems are like an old garden hose. You might have a leak at one section and repairing that weak point where the leak is will result in more pressure, consequently forming a new leak at the next weakest point. In that case replacing the whole hose is the way to go.

Most control arms are robust enough to last the life of the vehicle, but every so often they are crafted in a less than desirable form. I know the MKIV Golf/Jetta control arms were thin and hollow to save on weight. The bushings wouldn't last beyond 100K mile; replacing the bushing had a high rate of cracking the control arms so most folks replaced the entire control arms with the bushings pre-installed. I'm not sure how robust the Tesla Model S/X control arms are, but there appears to be a few folks who have had failures while parking.

I can see the pros and cons on this one. It's cheaper than buying new control arms, but involves much more labor.

If you're doing the bushing replacement yourself (press out / press in), this could save you a decent chunk of money. If you're planning to pay a shop to do this, you're probably better off just buying full replacement control arms and having them installed.

At some point, the cost of labor exceeds the savings from buying just the individual components.

the bushing kit is a good find, thanks for sharing with us. the kit does look more like solid metal bushings for track use, then the harder urethane bushings for sport use. back in the days I talked to a company call SuperPro at sema about mkiv supra parts they were able to offer the product we talked about at the show in very short time frame. i bet if someone call them up about tesla bushings they should be able to make one available in few months time. the track use metal bushings have a shorter lifespan then the street use counter parts. it is something that you might want to take into consideration

Anyone tried these yet on a 2014 P85+ or any Model S? My handling is not a great as it used to be a close to 100K miles on my car... thought this might help or is it just cheaper to buy the four control arms and save the labor on pressing these in. $800 for the four control arms or $500 plus labor to put these on the car...thoughts?

View attachment 516842

Don’t press bushings into old parts. P85 with 200k had a bent rear control arm and a front aft control arm with a warp or bend. I ended up buying all new parts and installing them over a 2 week period. I had to wait on parts to com in a few times. Car handled great after an alignment but now the slow speed clicking when I turn left. It never ends and pressing bushings won’t save time or money. Fatigue strength on aluminum parts smh

I broke rear arm . Took hour to change it. These cars are just like any other car. U just need a lot of metric tools. Size 21 and larger. I'm getting ready to change my rear axles when it hits 200k miles. SC guy told me trick to removing axle.
Replacing bushings is a real pain. Ive done it in my hot rods. Need high pressure press. I'd rather change arm than bushing. I wish we had polyurethane bushings.

Attachments

• IMG_20210331_094316_791.jpg
    IMG_20210331_094316_791.jpg
    654.1 KB · Views: 201
  • Informative
Reactions: Xenoilphobe