Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upper control arm bushings , tesla wont replace

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well this sucks. My 2021 has around 56k miles now. I guess I should be bracing for this. 😩
It seems like you will be bracing it almost every 2-3 years after the first replacement.

On my model S, I needed it replaced at about 100k miles....now, I'm getting it replaced almost every 1-2 years....thank goodness that ev garage warrantied the repair, so it was free.....that car is like 135k miles now.

Reactions: father_of_6
Did they do an alignment afterwards?
Alignment is not changed during an upper control arm replacement. The upper control arm mounts do not get moved, which is where your adjustment comes from. Tesla's service manual states no alignment required for just the control arms. Good chance none was performed.

Someone in another thread just confirmed that the 2024 Ys are using a new aluminum upper control arm, hopefully these start to get used as warranty replacements, assuming the ball joint is improved finally.

Reactions: amoney805 and Iron
Alignment is not changed during an upper control arm replacement. The upper control arm mounts do not get moved, which is where your adjustment comes from. Tesla's service manual states no alignment required for just the control arms. Good chance none was performed.

Someone in another thread just confirmed that the 2024 Ys are using a new aluminum upper control arm, hopefully these start to get used as warranty replacements, assuming the ball joint is improved finally.
Cool. I know on some past ICE cars I had, depending on badly the part was worn, alignment check was recommended so just thought I'd ask.

While on this topic, I work in a high rise with corkscrew ramps leading to the upper parking decks. When going down or up, I sometimes hear what I thought were suspension clunk noises as I exit the corkscrew. I'm not not 100% certain however, as it could be the washer fluid pent up from the g-forces sloshing back and slapping the tank. The only reason I haven't taken it for Tesla to check is that I don't seem to hear the noise anywhere else, which leads me to think it's indeed, the washer fluid. It is a very prominent sound in the front end and sometimes I can hear a liquid slapping but sometimes it sounds like a mechanical hard part issue. Just a strange phenomenon that I noticed with this car. I plan to let the washer fluid completely run out before the next refill, so I can test the theory.

Cool. I know on some past ICE cars I had, depending on badly the part was worn, alignment check was recommended so just thought I'd ask.

While on this topic, I work in a high rise with corkscrew ramps leading to the upper parking decks. When going down or up, I sometimes hear what I thought were suspension clunk noises as I exit the corkscrew. I'm not not 100% certain however, as it could be the washer fluid pent up from the g-forces sloshing back and slapping the tank. The only reason I haven't taken it for Tesla to check is that I don't seem to hear the noise anywhere else, which leads me to think it's indeed, the washer fluid. It is a very prominent sound in the front end and sometimes I can hear a liquid slapping but sometimes it sounds like a mechanical hard part issue. Just a strange phenomenon that I noticed with this car. I plan to let the washer fluid completely run out before the next refill, so I can test the theory.

It's definitely the suspension. Not the washer fluid. Metal contact vs plastic reservoir. Different noise. A clunk is metal noise. Over time, when you steer at low speed, you'll hear like it's clicking as well.

Meyle "HD" parts are junk in the European car world. They are not HD, it's just marketing. OEM BMW/Volvo/MB/etc. (Lemforder usually) are always better quality. I'm not sure how Tesla OEM control arms stack up, but time will tell if the Meyles last more than 30K.
We see Meyle all the time on the BMW side, it's OEM equivalent - nothing more, nothing less. Powerflex now offers replacement control arms with polyurethane bushings already pressed in:

IMHO, the MPP bushings pressed in your existing arms are really the way to go and overall less expensive in the end. We can press them in for the DIY guys if looking to save some $$.

I'm taking my car in for this issue next week. It seems to be only on the driver's side. Will they replace both? I'm at 47k, so warranty repair but would rather have both done....
They won't, though you can ask them to "check" the passenger side because you're "not sure." :) On mine, it wasn't making the noise at the time I went in, but they were able to wiggle the ball joints by hand and feel that they were toast. Maybe if you can convince them to check the passenger side, they might feel some crustiness that would warrant a replacement. Can't hurt, and it won't cost you anything.

Reactions: DanDi58
Dang man. Why do Tesla parts keep breaking!? I just don't get it.

I'm like, you. I think there should be insurance for suspension issues. Did you check with the service center if they warrantied the repair? They might be able to replace it free of charge.
I agree, if they were replaced once they should still have warranty. My SC is very reasonable, I was able to reason with them and they helped me out.

Reactions: cmaster
Dang man. Why do Tesla parts keep breaking!? I just don't get it.

I'm like, you. I think there should be insurance for suspension issues. Did you check with the service center if they warrantied the repair? They might be able to replace it free of charge.

Tesla.com does state that parts have a 12 month / 12.5k warranty, but the service center clarified that it only applies to paid parts, not parts provided for warranty service.

I'm not too concerned about the cost of replacing them, really just the idea that they lasted less than a year. If I have to have them replaced every 8 months I'm going to tell at the clouds.