Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S driver survives spectacular collision with 18 wheel truck in NJ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As reported by Electrek, another save for the 76 year old driver (who understandably had chest pains after the accident) after the truck driver ran a red light and hit the Tesla. The truck flipped over and nearly destroyed a nearby house. More evidence for Teslas being some of the safest cars around. And, no.. Autopilot was not turned on and the Tesla driver was not at fault for this accident.

Interesting that the ABC6 news video did not mention the car was a Tesla. I suppose that's good in the sense that they didn't try to sensationalize the report by playing the Tesla card. On the other hand, Tesla doesn't get "credit" for building an extremely safe car... to offset all the sensational reports of the fatality in Florida, also involving a tractor-trailer.

Interesting that the ABC6 news video did not mention the car was a Tesla. I suppose that's good in the sense that they didn't try to sensationalize the report by playing the Tesla card. On the other hand, Tesla doesn't get "credit" for building an extremely safe car... to offset all the sensational reports of the fatality in Florida, also involving a tractor-trailer.
An accident involving a Tesla NOT using AP?

"These aren't the droids you're looking for. "

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark
Tesla looks like this:

upload_2016-7-30_15-27-59.png

truck looks like this:

upload_2016-7-30_15-29-42.png

Both drivers hospitalized but not life threatening.

Nice juxtaposition of pictures with the semi on its side while the Tesla crumble zone and pax safety cage working as designed.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: krazineurons
I think it would be interesting to know if AEB triggered at all slowing the car down a little. If so, it probably made a big difference.

It sounded like a T-bone type accident. Tesla was in the intersection and the Semi ran a red light.

So AEB won't help if that was the case.

Edit: this article had that info: http://jalopnik.com/terrifying-tesla-vs-18-wheeler-crash-nearly-destroys-h-1784575735

The incident is still under investigation, and Master Corporal Gary Fournier told Jalopnikthat investigators believe the driver of the 18-wheeler fell asleep before colliding with the Model S. Fournier added that the truck driver ran a red light, and the wreck was at no fault of the Tesla or its driver.
The Model S was in the intersection at the time of the wreck, and Fournier said there is no current indication that the car’s Autopilot feature was enabled

Last edited:
It sounded like a T-bone type accident. Tesla was in the intersection and the Semi ran a red light.

So AEB won't help if that was the case.

From the pictures it appears that the truck essentially ran over the top of the frunk portion of the car. If the car had been going any faster, or the timing slightly different, it could have been much worse for the driver of the Tesla.

I agree it is highly unlikely that AEB did anything, as this is another case of a cross-traffic situation...

Tesla looks like this:

View attachment 187908

truck looks like this:

View attachment 187909

Nice juxtaposition of pictures with the semi on its side while the Tesla crumble zone and pax safety cage working as designed.
Looks like the Tesla fared better than the semi. That's not the outcome one usually expects in a car vs. tractor-trailer accident. It's a great visual testimonial for the Tesla's safety capabilities.

I wondered about AEB slowing me down in a similar crash two months ago. I asked Tesla for the log but they refused - only by court order. Another 6-7 feet into the intersection and the Yukon would have been in my lap or my passenger's lap. I have a dash cam ready to install in our MS when we get it back. I had a witness that stayed at the scene but without the witness the cop told me it would have been a he said, she said. The nutcase got the ticket; I just wish she had had enough insurance to fix my car.

Tesla looks like this:

View attachment 187908

truck looks like this:

View attachment 187909

By the looks of that first photo, it looks like all the airbags deployed successfully. Nice to know they work!