Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S Plaid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Excaliber

Supporting Member
Jul 18, 2023
Buffalo
Hello fellow Tesla owners.
I have a BMW EV iX M60 and I'm buying a 2021 Model S Plaid
as a second fun car and I was wondering if it's possible to turn off the feet on pedal and brake chime..
I drive with 2 feet and it's kind of annoying.
I have no problems driving with 2 feet in my BMW EV M60 SUV.
Also is there settings for the regenerative braking like levels or to to turn it off ?

Thanks Dan

Hello fellow Tesla owners.
I have a BMW EV iX M60 and I'm buying a 2021 Model S Plaid
as a second fun car and I was wondering if it's possible to turn off the feet on pedal and brake chime..
I drive with 2 feet and it's kind of annoying.
I have no problems driving with 2 feet in my BMW EV M60 SUV.
Also is there settings for the regenerative braking like levels or to to turn it off ?

Thanks Dan
Good question. did You learn this on the race track?

I drive two footed all the time too. Especially when backing up a trailer. Chime drives me nuts on the Teslas.

Side note: I just had to put new rotors on my Volt that only had 19K miles because of one pedal driving and not enough wear and rusted up rotors badly on the inside.

So I try to keep rotors polished on both cars and sometimes after a rain storm or car wash I try to run them in while driving hard two footed.

Ding ding…. Ding ding ding.

Also my Tesla has no wiring for trailer so the ultra sonics alarms are going off at the same time as the two foot alarm when backing up up the trailer.

Oh, and I never drive with foot testing on the brake. It’s just certain situations work better working both feet tightly coordinated.

I’ve never use the track launch mode, but isn’t that by definition two footed. Both pedals down and you just let go of the brake.

I totally agree there should be a switch.

I think it would be very difficult to drive with two feet. The motor with huge torque is powering the car forward. Coasting is not a release of the accelerator, but a position on the accelerator just before acceleration. This could really mess up the automated safety features, such as emergency braking. The computer will not understand the command input to brake and accelerate at the same time. No way you could effectively modulate the accelerator accurately and use the brakes at the same time without very excessive brake wear and wear on other components. There used to be an option to limit regenerative braking, but Tesla removed it. I think this year I read where some cars got the opton back (maybe in another country?). As far as warning chimes, you might want to turn on "Joe mode" which limits audible warnings.

I think it would be very difficult to drive with two feet. The motor with huge torque is powering the car forward. Coasting is not a release of the accelerator, but a position on the accelerator just before acceleration. This could really mess up the automated safety features, such as emergency braking. The computer will not understand the command input to brake and accelerate at the same time. No way you could effectively modulate the accelerator accurately and use the brakes at the same time without very excessive brake wear and wear on other components. There used to be an option to limit regenerative braking, but Tesla removed it. I think this year I read where some cars got the opton back (maybe in another country?). As far as warning chimes, you might want to turn on "Joe mode" which limits audible warnings.
I do it all the time and just ignore the alarm.

The brakes are standard brakes. There is absolutely no reason it can’t allow it. If it defeats automatic systems (while two footed, so be it). I tend to do it in slow maneuvers. Except if I’m trying to run in the brakes.

In an ICE I can increase speed with the brake applied. On Tesla I can’t but I can still do mostly what I wish to do, two footed. And Tesla still does have some power with brake and throttle applied.

Also with a heavy trailer the car tends to roll towards gravity and another reason I drive two footed. It would roll to much going back and forth between accel and brake.

No it's still at Carmax.
They brought it in on a car carrier for me.
I only drove it around their parking lot.
I'm going to pick it up on Monday.
I have no problems driving with 2 feet.
If the chime can't be turned off then I like cranking up the tunes.
I added subs and tweeters with level controls to my BMW M60

Will add subs to the S

Here it is

I'll probably get the regular type steering wheel Tesla can install for $700.00

Also got some CF Sideskirts

No it's still at Carmax.

My Subs in my BMW
Subs.JPG
Subs Amps.JPG

Reactions: byeLT4
No it's still at Carmax.
He was asking why you want to drive with two feet.

May be quicker as long as you don't have a pedal misapplication in an emergency.
I've been driving with 2 feet for 45 years and have never hit the wrong pedal in an emergency application.
I'm so used to it that using 1 foot is awkward and unnatural for me.
I would have to try and train myself to use only 1 foot and I don't want to do that since I 2 foot drive all my other vehicles.
One foot driver old people sometimes push the accelerator instead of the brake.
That's why 7-11 has the metal concrete filled posts in front of the doors.
I don't know why they train people to use one foot for 2 pedals.
This chime thing kinda sucks.
Maybe I can add a return spring to the brake pedal so it doesn't engage unless I put some more pressure on the pedal.
There's a Tesla service center in Rochester 60 miles away from Buffalo.
Do you think they could turn this off or unplug the chime for me?

Last edited:
It takes instruction and practice. It is a racing technique