Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model X Aftermarket Wheels Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I couldn't find direct answers to these questions.

I purchased some lovely aftermarket wheels for my Model X. They are 22". I've not yet had them installed as I've got a few questions

1 - Should I have a shop familiar with working on Teslas do this work or is this a pretty standard service that can be done by any any good tire shop?

2 - After install will the car need to be updated so the speedometer is accurate? They have EOM tire pressure sensors already installed.

3 - Can the car graphic (avatar) on the dash and console screen be updated to look more like my new larger wheels?

Most reputable installers can do an X, but, you can usually ask them how they do it. For example, America's Tire (or Discount Tire in some parts) actually print out a step by step instruction sheet for the tech to follow in order to set the vehicle in the proper mode.

In your main screen, if you go to the vehicle's settings, the service option, I believe, has a"Wheel Configuration" sub setting. You can select your wheel size there and pick between the different stock Tesla wheels. It will reboot the X and update the calculations and the graphics shown.

1 - Should I have a shop familiar with working on Teslas do this work or is this a pretty standard service that can be done by any any good tire shop?
A shop that has experience with Tesla's yes. Such shops know that they must put the car in "jack mode" before lifting the car because if they don't, they can potentially ruin your air-suspension because the auto-levelling system gets confused. Take this seriously.
They also need to know the specific torque-value of your lug-nuts. If they don't and treat your car like any other, chances are you'll see your own wheel come loose and pass you by on the motorway...
These are "test" questions you can ask to test if they have any clue on how to work with Tesla's. If they don't know, drive away...

2 - After install will the car need to be updated so the speedometer is accurate? They have EOM tire pressure sensors already installed.
The tires that get mounted must match Tesla Specs for speed-rating, load-rating and rolling-circumference etc. If the latter is correct, and you (or they) choose 22" wheels while resetting the pressure-sensors, the speedo will auto-adapt and show the correct speeds (you should not mount larger or smaller tires in the first place. Stick to OEM tire-sizes and you'll be fine.

3 - Can the car graphic (avatar) on the dash and console screen be updated to look more like my new larger wheels?
You can only choose from Tesla's own product line-up (22" in your case). You cannot insert graphics of your own specific after-market wheels into the system.

Just had forged 22” wheels installed at America’s Tire.

Attachments

• 1F45FD72-4C5E-4BEE-B4F8-FE1184381FBD.jpeg
    1F45FD72-4C5E-4BEE-B4F8-FE1184381FBD.jpeg
    639 KB · Views: 743
  • A871150A-E607-4922-B8E2-CED11C5F5B4F.jpeg
    A871150A-E607-4922-B8E2-CED11C5F5B4F.jpeg
    558.5 KB · Views: 481
Reactions: wreighven