Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model X Bio-Defense mode reduces PM25 density to 0.002 in Beijing Smog!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From a Chinese Model X forum. Bio-Defense mode cuts PM2.5 pollutants about 100 fold in Beijing Smog!

This thing will be the new status symbol in world's most polluted cities.

CmXVdD1VIAA__Ys.jpg

Last edited:
Great stuff. It's an important feature, no doubt. I'm wondering if Tesla choosing to focus on Bio Weapons when picking the name for it was the correct angle from a marketing perspective. Perhaps more focus on respiratory health would have been better? Something like "Extreme Air Filtering" or "Medical Grade Cabin Air Quality System - MGACQS" (great acronym, right?)

Addition: this is further proof to the (mine too) thesis that Model X has been designed primarily with China and Asia in mind.

Reactions: madodel
Reactions: Adm
Do you have a source/link to this story? This is the ultimate argument for people who claim Bio Defence Mode is just a gadget!
I always understood it that Bio Defense Mode is the overpressurization of the cabin with max fan speed not just the HEPA filter (which makes sense), so a image is nice, but I could not imagine driving around with this fan sound all the time.

Great stuff. It's an important feature, no doubt. I'm wondering if Tesla choosing to focus on Bio Weapons when picking the name for it was the correct angle from a marketing perspective. Perhaps more focus on respiratory health would have been better? Something like "Extreme Air Filtering" or "Medical Grade Cabin Air Quality System - MGACQS" (great acronym, right?)

Addition: this is further proof to the (mine too) thesis that Model X has been designed primarily with China and Asia in mind.
That wouldn't have gotten the publicity "bio-defence mode" did. It'd be received by the press with a <shrug> "Who cares? What's the point?"

I drove by a diesel truck or it could've been a gas truck with a blown engine that was spewing out an unbelievable amount of black smoke. The smell was terrible. When I turned on the bio depends the smell disappeared almost immediately. It was amazing
Can't wait to try it near the petrochemical plants in our city.

It's easy to imagine how irritating it would be driving with ventilation on full blast. It's not so easy to imagine what it's like to drive in trafic when you can't see the other side of the road because of the smog unless you've experienced it.
The question is if you lower the fan speed to normal levels how effective would the whole system still be? I wouldn't be surprised if it's still very good.

The question is if you lower the fan speed to normal levels how effective would the whole system still be? I wouldn't be surprised if it's still very good.

Once bio weapon defense mode filter out the PM2.5, I would assume u can switch back to normal air conditioning since that woul circulate the cabin air no?

Another way would be to turn bio hazard mode again if air gets back again at a later time

Reactions: Adm
Once bio weapon defense mode filter out the PM2.5, I would assume u can switch back to normal air conditioning since that woul circulate the cabin air no?

Another way would be to turn bio hazard mode again if air gets back again at a later time
The fan speed goes to 11 and switches to recirculation mode. If you manually lower the fan speed, bio defense turns off. ( the biodefence symbol turns back to normal) I noticed the fan will slow down on its own after a while and but the system stayed in biodefence mode

Last edited: