Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model X New Wheel Option - 20" Sonic Carbon -$3000

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pulled the trigger. My wheel guy got a can of genuine Tesla Sonic Carbon paint and sanded and repainted my 20" silver slipstreams. Voila! Now I have 20" Sonic Carbon wheels. $600 (plus $30 for new dark center caps and lugnut covers) instead of $3000.

View attachment 225531 View attachment 225532 View attachment 225533

Hello fellow Davisite! Your repainted wheels look great! What was the paint code and who did you use for the job? My X is slated for delivery in late Nov-early Dec and I'd love to get this done.

Five years later:

I've been thinking about building a (bargain) set of "Sonic Carbon" wheels for over a year, ever since I bought my early 2021 Model X. Then I discovered this Thread. I am apparently "re-inventing the wheel" (no pun intended) with regard to painting (i.e., powder-coating) silver Slipstream wheels, while coincidentally living in Davis, California.

Here is what I have, know, or am planning so far:
  • Set of undamaged stock 20-inch silver Slipstream (Model X) front and rear wheels.
  • Tesla-Continental OEM front and rear tires.
  • Tesla Model X dark lug-nut covers.
  • Tesla Model X dark TPMS sensors.
  • Tesla tire totes (covers) and Kurgo wheel felts (to prevent scratches) to safely store the original silver wheels and tires.
  • Plan to use Rim Pros of Sacramento (5859 Rosebud Lane; off Auburn Blvd. between Madison and Greenback south of I-80) to powder coat the wheels. Rim Pros is used by the Rocklin, CA, Tesla Service Center to repair damaged wheel finishes. I used them last year to repair a 22-inch Model X wheel, so I know they do a good job. The people there appear to know the correct paint necessary to duplicate the exact Tesla Sonic Carbon color and finish. And the price for four wheels is way less (by a factor of ten) than the ~$6,000 it was costing (in 2021) on the Tesla Shop site.
Some miscellaneous thoughts/questions I still have:
  • Is the stock factory Sonic Carbon finish a satin or a gloss finish? (I get the impression it is somewhere between the two.) I'll let Rim Pros educate me as to the stock Sonic Carbon finish.
  • What is the best way to store my stock silver wheel-set? I watch Formula 1 racing, and among other things many of the teams use small square hand carts (with upright handles) on which they can safely stack a set of four wheels/tires on top of each other. (The Amazon wheel pads should prevent rim-to-rim scratching.) So the length x width storage footprint is minimal (just a little wider than the height of a tire) and the wheel-set remains easily moveable in the garage. Unfortunately, I have not yet been able to find such a retail product. (Those on Amazon tend to now be made of plastic with lots of negative feedback.) Maybe the teams make their own? They are probably expensive.

F1 Tire Dolly - 4.jpg
    F1 Tire Dolly - 12.jpg

• Does powder-coating hold-up to the ravages of time? (To answer my own question, I get the impression that it is pretty durable.)
I like the looks of my car, but it is a white car with silver wheels--like tens of thousands of other Model X on the road. I just thought that the Sonic Carbon would be a little different and look good. (But I agree that $5,000-$6,000 is just too much to pay.) I'll just have to look out for the dreaded curb-rash.

Last edited: