Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla ModeModel 3 vs. Chevy Bolt

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We’ve had a Chevy Bolt for about a year, and have just added a Model 3. I wanted to share some impressions.

First, of course, the Model 3 is much the more capable and flexible car, but the Bolt is not without its strengths. The Bolt’s advantages largely are about local driving, especially in more crowded areas.

(Sorry - hit post too soon; am cleaning up.)

I still dont see the advantages of the Bolt over the model 3.
Price...I got a near 8K off retail without haggling,...so about 14K price delta between a loaded Bolt and the least expensive Model 3. Also...Bolt has Android Auto, Car Play and true one pedal driving....oh and heated steering wheel....gawd I love that heated steering wheel. Affordable EVs are good for everyone....Tesla ain't there yet.

Price...I got a near 8K off retail without haggling,...so about 14K price delta between a loaded Bolt and the least expensive Model 3. Also...Bolt has Android Auto, Car Play and true one pedal driving....oh and heated steering wheel....gawd I love that heated steering wheel. Affordable EVs are good for everyone....Tesla ain't there yet.

You ended up with a Bolt. Were you the one that was going to get an XC40? Maybe I’m thinking someone else. Did you get a 3 or go with Bolt instead?

The model 3 can do pretty close to one pedal driving if you can get away with California stops at stop signs lol.

Reactions: Pkmmte and KingTito
You ended up with a Bolt. Were you the one that was going to get an XC40? Maybe I’m thinking someone else. Did you get a 3 or go with Bolt instead?
That ain't me. Im a line waiter but I got a Bolt to scratch that EV itch....ain't willimg to pay 49k+ for a Tesla....but might be willing to pay 35k to scrtch that Tesla itch depending on how much tax credit is left.

For me, the big advantages of the Bolt are:
(1) True one-pedal driving (no break needed under 10mph).
(2) CarPlay and Android Auto with Waze and Spotify.
(3) Surround parking view.
Yeah....I love that surround view....no rash on my wheels. Also...I can come to a full stop at 50+mph in L mode and paddle.

I was offered a really nice price for a bolt earlier in the year, several months before I got my model 3. And it was tempting. I used to have a volt, and it made several (4) extended stays in the local chevy service center, and at one of those visits I was asking around, hence the nice offer. At the time my tesla was looking like it might be as much as a year away, and I wasn't sure the volt was going to make it. I had several serious issues with jumping on the bolt though:
1. No supercharging network. I do several regular day trips that work fine in the tesla, but would probably not quite work in a bolt. And I know from experience with the volt that finding working chargers in small towns can be a hit or miss experience. Maybe in a few years this situation will improve, but it's not there yet.
2. Interior space. I'm a cellist, and the difference between the bolt and the model 3 is night and day as far as fitting a cello in. The back seat is just too small in the key dimensions for a cello. While it can be made to work, it's just not a good fit.
3. Zip. The bolt just doesn't have it. Sure, it's better than a volt. But, my other car is a BMW 535. And my wife has an Audi A7. The bolt just doesn't measure up to those other cars. The model 3 does.
Sure, the bolt is a great car, and obviously works for lots of people - I see them all the time around here. But not for me.