Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla moments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Went up to my 79 year old Mother's house this evening to move some stuff for her. She's not really a car person, but has indulged my love for my Model S. First question in the door... "Did you manage to reserve a Model 3? I've been hearing plenty about them". So I pulled up the Model 3 photos on the Tesla site for her on her computer and told her "No, I reserved 2 of them. One for (my wife) and..."

She interrupted, "The other one for me, right?"

Completely serious. She'll be in her eighties by the time it arrives. But she wants it. So I guess the second reservation is for her.

Buy her a wall connector and have it installed in her garage as an 80th birthday present.

Parked in a garage in NYC last week. The attendants were super excited. One of them drove it right out, reversed it, backed into a spot between a Porsche and S class and put two cones around it - the only car protected like that. When I went to pick it up, he was equally excited to get it back.. singing all the way to the car. He didn't even stick around for a tip - seemed happy to just zip it up and down the ramp.

2 fun moments...

One: My 8 year old, out of the blue, said, "It won't be long before people driving gas cars will be treated like smokers."

Two: Parked next to the umpire at my kid's baseball game. As I walked up to the car, the man said he and his wife were admiring it and asked what it was. I said it was a Tesla, an American car (he had a pickup truck so I wanted him to not get into the crazy ferriner stuff). He said, "Chrysler?" I said, "No, Tesla. Named after the guy who invented AC electricity. It's made in California." He said, "You mean a Chrysler?"
I should have realized. Not only are umps blind, but they're deaf too.

2 fun moments...

One: My 8 year old, out of the blue, said, "It won't be long before people driving gas cars will be treated like smokers."

Two: Parked next to the umpire at my kid's baseball game. As I walked up to the car, the man said he and his wife were admiring it and asked what it was. I said it was a Tesla, an American car (he had a pickup truck so I wanted him to not get into the crazy ferriner stuff). He said, "Chrysler?" I said, "No, Tesla. Named after the guy who invented AC electricity. It's made in California." He said, "You mean a Chrysler?"
I should have realized. Not only are umps blind, but they're deaf too.
1. Your 8-year-old is prescient!
2. And they're so used to hearing denials ("that was a BALL!" "I was SAFE!" "I didn't foul him!" "I didn't touch it!") they can't actually process when they hear the truth. disclosure: basketball & volleyball referee. And I'm kidding anyway. Referees aren't totally blind. They're only blind in one eye, and can't see out of the other.

I take my sister and her two kids out for breakfast and on the way the kids have a blast with endless requests for Katy Perry songs, and 'do the rollercoaster'. After breakfast their daddy arrives to pick them up in his Porsche Cayenne. His 6 yo has a major screaming tantrum in front of the waiting crowd and makes it ear piercingly clear that she wants the Tesla NOT the Porsche :D:p. Oh my ego...

We spent the weekend south of the border (that would be 'USA', not 'Mexico'!) and didn't have the luxury of a destination charger. So I scanned through Plugshare for something local and found that the nearby Nissan, Kia and Mitsubishi dealerships all had some facilities. The closest was a Nissan dealer and Plugshare indicated 'open to all cars'. So we headed on over with the trusty CHAdeMO adapter. But... 'open to all cars' evidently meant 'open to Nissan cars'. They turned us away quite bluntly. Needless to say, I edited the Plugshare entry appropriately...!

Next stop, another Nissan dealership. I called ahead and was told 'No problem! If you don't have a Chargepoint card, you can use ours!'. We arrived, I plugged in (using my card) and then spent the next hour talking to a steady stream of Nissan sales and service people, as well as a few customers waiting for repair work.

The best part of it was, they weren't shy about their feelings when it came to the Leaf. Yes, they're selling like crazy this spring, but the range is too short and they're just too darned ugly... No animosity towards the Tesla brand (just the opposite!) and full disclosure on what they're selling. They're hoping Nissan will up their game and give them something better to sell/service. They seemed to realize that the game had changed with the unveiling of the M-3.

I arrived, prepared to be grudgingly accepted, but just the opposite. Great bunch of people and the charge time flew by!

We spent the weekend south of the border (that would be 'USA', not 'Mexico'!) and didn't have the luxury of a destination charger. So I scanned through Plugshare for something local and found that the nearby Nissan, Kia and Mitsubishi dealerships all had some facilities. The closest was a Nissan dealer and Plugshare indicated 'open to all cars'. So we headed on over with the trusty CHAdeMO adapter. But... 'open to all cars' evidently meant 'open to Nissan cars'. They turned us away quite bluntly. Needless to say, I edited the Plugshare entry appropriately...!

Next stop, another Nissan dealership. I called ahead and was told 'No problem! If you don't have a Chargepoint card, you can use ours!'. We arrived, I plugged in (using my card) and then spent the next hour talking to a steady stream of Nissan sales and service people, as well as a few customers waiting for repair work.

The best part of it was, they weren't shy about their feelings when it came to the Leaf. Yes, they're selling like crazy this spring, but the range is too short and they're just too darned ugly... No animosity towards the Tesla brand (just the opposite!) and full disclosure on what they're selling. They're hoping Nissan will up their game and give them something better to sell/service. They seemed to realize that the game had changed with the unveiling of the M-3.

I arrived, prepared to be grudgingly accepted, but just the opposite. Great bunch of people and the charge time flew by!

When I had my MS inspected at the local Nissan dealership, I found much the same thing. They were quite friendly. I even gave a couple of the salesmen a ride around the block. They were thrilled.

Reactions: Andyw2100
Wait, what? Why would you have your MS inspected at a Nissan dealer?

Texas requires state inspections every year, even on brand new cars when they're delivered. There's a Nissan dealer near my house and three years ago, when we got our first MS, I figured their familiarity with the Leaf would mean that they'd be less confused than a random car repair place when inspecting the Model S, which was pretty rare around here at that time. Plus, dealers who inspect new cars can put a two-year sticker on the car when it's newly inspected and I was hoping that I might get a two-year sticker for that first inspection.

(BTW, our Dallas Tesla service center doesn't do state inspections because if they sign up with the state to do state inspections, they're required to inspect any vehicle that shows up wanting to be inspected. This means they'd be dealing with ICE vehicles. Those licensed to perform inspections in Texas must also be able to perform "minor repairs" that might be required to bring a car into compliance, making it even less likely that our Tesla service center would ever do state inspections.)

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy and Takumi
Texas requires state inspections every year, even on brand new cars when they're delivered. There's a Nissan dealer near my house and three years ago, when we got our first MS, I figured their familiarity with the Leaf would mean that they'd be less confused than a random car repair place when inspecting the Model S, which was pretty rare around here at that time. Plus, dealers who inspect new cars can put a two-year sticker on the car when it's newly inspected and I was hoping that I might get a two-year sticker for that first inspection.

(BTW, our Dallas Tesla service center doesn't do state inspections because if they sign up with the state to do state inspections, they're required to inspect any vehicle that shows up wanting to be inspected. This means they'd be dealing with ICE vehicles. Those licensed to perform inspections in Texas must also be able to perform "minor repairs" that might be required to bring a car into compliance, making it even less likely that our Tesla service center would ever do state inspections.)

Hopefully they just charged the $7 Safety Inspection Fee and waived the $25 Emissions/Safety Fee, since of course your car does not emit toxic fumes :)

Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Hopefully they just charged the $7 Safety Inspection Fee and waived the $25 Emissions/Safety Fee, since of course your car does not emit toxic fumes :)

It was pretty inexpensive, I don't recall the exact price. I was unhappy to later find, however, that they had entered the inspection into CarFax as having repaired my vehicle. It made me feel so dirty.

• Informative
Reactions: Takumi
My son and I were driving out this morning in my S, in full "Mario Kart" / autopilot mode with the recent 7.1(2.16.17) software. Within about a minute of getting on the freeway, we found ourselves driving along with two Xs (Sig P90DL and a 90D) and another S (P90DL). My son traded smiles with one of the X drivers. We really live in Tesla-land here in the SF Bay Area. :)

My son and I were driving out this morning in my S, in full "Mario Kart" / autopilot mode with the recent 7.1(2.16.17) software. Within about a minute of getting on the freeway, we found ourselves driving along with two Xs (Sig P90DL and a 90D) and another S (P90DL). My son traded smiles with one of the X drivers. We really live in Tesla-land here in the SF Bay Area. :)
You all have to learn the "Tesla Nod"

Reactions: Cyclone
We have state inspections in Virginia too. They're smart enough not to require the emissions part for an EV. I took my car to a local shop just out of convenience. The first time was a Tesla Moment, the mechanic was pretty excited, asked a lot of questions, thought the whole thing was really cool, etc. The second time was a Moment of the opposite kind, where a different mechanic initially refused to look at the car and took a lot of persuading. I thought it was pretty weird, since the only difference when inspecting an EV is that there's less stuff to check. He came around eventually and in the end he said something appreciative about how he got to learn something new, but maybe next year I'll try the Nissan dealership instead.

Thanks for posting. I had thought the only use for summon would be to pull the car out when some bozo had parked too close to my driver door leaving no room to get in, but this shows that the reverse situation is also useful.
Agreed. I parked my car in a relative's tiny garage this way. The embarrassing part was that my non-Tesla owning relative was the one that reminded me of the car's capability. It is a valuable autonomous driving feature.