Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla moments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sitting in my car Supercharging when someone walks up to the driver side window. I rolled down the window thinking he's going to tell me 'cool car' or 'what is that?'. Instead he asked me if I have jumper cables. I told him sorry, I don't, and I couldn't jump his anyway with this car. Suggested he ask someone at hotel nearby. He sad thanks and walked off. Someone just got his car started so all is good.

Sitting in my car Supercharging when someone walks up to the driver side window. I rolled down the window thinking he's going to tell me 'cool car' or 'what is that?'. Instead he asked me if I have jumper cables. I told him sorry, I don't, and I couldn't jump his anyway with this car. Suggested he ask someone at hotel nearby. He sad thanks and walked off. Someone just got his car started so all is good.

That's great. Last summer, when I was washing the S, and the frunk and trunk were open, my neighbor came out of his house to go somewhere in his car and rolled down his window and asked if we needed a jump. And he was serious. He didn't know anything about tesla. Still don't think he does.

Apart from some occasional questions about 'how do you like your Tesla' there are no great Tesla Moments here. California has so many Teslas that people see them all the time and know about them. Many people are actually pretty informed about the Model S and just want to hear an opinion from a real owner.

I had my first Tesla moment last night. Was picking the car up from valet after dinner. As the valet handed me the fob back, he said, "I LOVE your car." This is the first time a valet has ever said that to me. I guess my previous Toyotas were not impressive. As we were pulling out, I also heard an impressed "sheeeeeeeeeit" from the security guard on the other side.

What was the most funny was that my husband said he's not usually the type to feel emasculated by stupid things like a woman having a better car than him, but when the valet gave me props for the car as I was getting into the driver's side, and then the other valet closed the passenger side door for him, he was a little embarrassed about it.

I had a cool Tesla moment recently upon dropping my in-laws to the airport here in Vegas. I pulled up to curbside check-in at LV airport, was a crazy busy day, super long line. As I pull up, two curbside attendants nudge each other. After I opened the trunk and removed their luggage for them, one attendant was moving his lips but not making any sound, motioning for me to open it. So I did, showed it to him for a minute, and he got my in-laws to skip the line. I think they were pleased it helped them. We've been out to dinner, etc. many times together and they just shake their heads whenever someone starts to talk about the car, they're so used to it. I've been trying to talk my mother in law in to one once her MB E Class lease expires in a few months.

So my wife and I stopped by the local sushi place with the Roadster. Beautiful day, had the top down. After our meal, we ran into a family in the parking lot, who were coming to the restaurant for mother's day. The mother was really excited to see a Tesla, so we showed her the car. I ended up taking her for a spin. She was so excited she gave me a hug afterwards. Smiles all around.

Then just as they were about to leave, a bird flew overhead and took a dump all over the car, and also hit my head. Luckily it missed everyone else.

Not sure how to take this one...

Then just as they were about to leave, a bird flew overhead and took a dump all over the car, and also hit my head. Luckily it missed everyone else.

Yuck. :-(

Coincidentally, a bird got my back seat last night. Pano roof was open, of course. Right between my kids, almost hit my son. And it happened while the car was moving!

Thankfully and also coincidentally, I had just searched TMC earlier yesterday for tips on cleaning the Model S leather seats, because they were getting dirty from the kids' sports (baseball & soccer). Also thankfully, everything came out with a damp cloth. Could've been much worse.

Had a cool moment this weekend at Hershey Park in PA.

Fun driving long distance using superchargers.

Plugged into charge point right in front of chocolate world. Left car for day. Started raining and getting cool. We returned to car to get jackets. Sat on bench to rest and wait off rain 20 feet from car.

7 out of every 10 people stopped and looked (touched) car. Didn't know I was the owner. Hearing the wows and some of the propaganda (mostly innacurate) was funny. My daughter was loving it.

The one thing I hated (besides the touchers) was that the charge point is 3 feet from the curb. Do you know how many kids/adults chose to Wal between the charge point and my bumper? Jeez. Cringed every time.

I watched for 15 minutes and saw enough attention to realize crazy stuff must have happened the other 9 hours we were there.

Coincidentally, a bird got my back seat last night. Pano roof was open, of course. Right between my kids, almost hit my son. And it happened while the car was moving!

Thankfully and also coincidentally, I had just searched TMC earlier yesterday for tips on cleaning the Model S leather seats, because they were getting dirty from the kids' sports (baseball & soccer). Also thankfully, everything came out with a damp cloth. Could've been much worse.

Yeah my wife had some travel wipes in her purse, so we used those to mop up as much as we could. Then I drove home and gave the car a good bath. Damp cloth on the interior did the job. Man you wouldn't believe how much some birds carry...

Not sure if you are really supposed to, or capable of, jumping a car using the 12v terminals. The 12v battery in the model is is rather anemic and probably not able of providing the amperage required to crank a hefty starter motor.
Maybe something like this would be worth carrying around: Amazon.com: PowerAll PBJS12000R Rosso Red/Black Portable Power Bank and Car Jump Starter: Automotive
You can also use it to charge your phone while you aren't jumping other people's cars.

I'm getting textile seats, which certainly won't clean as easily. Now bird poop will always be in the back of my mind when opening the pano. :scared: Thanks.

(LMB spouse)

@GasDoc - I used LMB's Model S to start our other car (Subaru wagon, never gets used) that died *at a gas station*. As I said, never gets used, so the battery runs down. Anyway, I used a 120 volt inverter plugged into the S to run a 6 amp battery charger attached to the Subaru battery. Took about 10 minutes, but worked fine.

It was a Sunday, no good samaritans at the station, and bitter cold, maybe 15F.

I used LMB's Model S to start our other car (Subaru wagon, never gets used) that died *at a gas station*. As I said, never gets used, so the battery runs down. Anyway, I used a 120 volt inverter plugged into the S to run a 6 amp battery charger attached to the Subaru battery. Took about 10 minutes, but worked fine.

Happy that it worked out for you. I'm not sure I would have been brave enough to try.

I had another Tesla Moment (tm) with my new mail carrier. I happened to be stepping out of the car when the carrier walked by and he handed me my mail. Then he did a double-take on the car.

Him: Wow, nice car! I thought it was a Honda Civic at first, but then looked again. It's a sports car, right?

Me: It's more like a sporty sedan.

Him: How much was it?

Me: It starts at 60, but this one is around 80 b/c of the battery.

Him: What?? Sixty thousand? It's very nice, but not a sport car?

Me: It's all electric.

Him: It uses some gas right? I just heard your car turn off.

Me: That's the fan for the battery b/c it's 100F out here.

Him: So...do you have to get gas?

Me: No, you just plug it in! (at this point, I had to show him the cable and the charge port to convince him)

Then we had a short conversation on range, etc. I guess he recently got a Honda CRV but now has a new car to lust after.