Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla moments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I was leaving a lot, a guy in a mini-van pulls up and gestures for me to roll down the window. I oblige, fully expecting Model S questions when he asks, "Would you like to take advantage of an ordering error?" "No," I say, and as my window is going back up he stutters, "don't you want to know what I have?"

Since this was obviously some variant of the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_van_speaker_scam ,I normally would have feigned interest to string-along the con artist, but I was caught off-guard by him not asking about the car.

I string them along, tell them I need to drive to an ATM to get cash, then while driving there call the police and have them meet me at the bank.

I string them along, tell them I need to drive to an ATM to get cash, then while driving there call the police and have them meet me at the bank.

The scam my friend fell for back in the 80's, was not technically illegal. They really did sell him speakers. They were junk, but they were real speakers.

It works, because people feel they are getting something at a super special "deal", probably too good to be true because they are stolen, etc. I don't actually have much sympathy for people who fall for it.

The scam my friend fell for back in the 80's, was not technically illegal. They really did sell him speakers. They were junk, but they were real speakers.

It works, because people feel they are getting something at a super special "deal", probably too good to be true because they are stolen, etc. I don't actually have much sympathy for people who fall for it.

A few years ago our local police asked to be contacted if you were approached by them. I was approached in a fast food parking lot, they got hit with a trespassing charge.

As I was leaving a lot, a guy in a mini-van pulls up and gestures for me to roll down the window. I oblige, fully expecting Model S questions when he asks, "Would you like to take advantage of an ordering error?" "No," I say, and as my window is going back up he stutters, "don't you want to know what I have?"

Since this was obviously some variant of the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_van_speaker_scam ,I normally would have feigned interest to string-along the con artist, but I was caught off-guard by him not asking about the car.

I think I just got propositioned by that same scam, but at my house and this time with steak delivery men. They had a white truck with a "___ steak delivery" sign taped or magneted to the side. They were "in the neighborhood" delivering a neighbor's steaks and offered to sell me some since they had extra in the truck. Too bad I told them we were vegetarian. No memorial day BBQ for us.

Ok, I've had my S85 for 5 months now, and since we're about to leave on a major road trip I thought I'd wax (or, polymer, whatever) it for the first time, and also use RainX on the windshield. The last time I did this was about 30 years ago in my early 20's, because I actually cared about the car I owned then (not that I hated all my other later ones... just different priorities). Man, I forgot how darned long it takes to wax a car! And how much of a workout it is. Where's Mr. Miyagi? And another thing, RainX is available everywhere now but when I first used it, I had to mail-order it from the factory as they didn't have any distributors in Canada (opportunity lost...).

So I get the wax coat on, and I'm starting to polish it off, and I notice there's slight streaks on the frunk, that don't seem to come out. So I'm a little bummed. Right then a guy walks by, stops, makes a nice comment about the car, and introduces himself. We chat a bit, and it turns out he works for a funeral home and is the guy who keeps all their limousines all clean and polished. So he shows me what to do about the slight streakiness. I showed him the rest of the car. We both went away happy!

EDIT: I again love my car, again! :)

Just curious- just exactly what did he show you? Thanks.
Yea, don't leave us hanging!
Well, it was embarrassingly simple, but remember I hadn't waxed a car for ... a little while. I had microfiber'd the glaze off, and polished some with the soft cloth, noticed the streaks, polished some more, didn't seem to do anything. But wait, ye of little faith! He just polished yet more (like, 30 seconds worth of good scrubbing in one spot), and it came up great. I was careful doing the rest of the frunk that I didn't put too much elbow grease into it, to avoid a frunk dent.

He also mentioned to wax only twice a year, and when you're ready to do the 3rd application take the car to a detailer and have them take the old wax off. Which I thought was a good idea, on a car like this. And then, he was so impressed with the car, he said when I'm ready to do the second waxing to bring it to his workplace and he'd do it for me, just so he could work on the car!

EDIT: for "wax", read "polymer" or whatever non-wax thing you're supposed to use that I only have the patience to read, understand and buy once, until the next time I have to buy a replacement. Zipper. Kleenex. Brodering. Language is fun.

Last edited:
Good times at the Memorial Day Parade and Carnival in Hillsborough, California yesterday.

Thanks to TMC member jonnaro and Jerome and Stephanie from Tesla Motors for providing cars to complete our red, white and blue trio.

I've posted some pics to our Local Group section.

Couldn't believe the amount of interest and "Tesla Time" existed in this highly saturated part of the Bay Area.

Marching.jpg

My Tesla moment consists only of the test drive I took last week. It was an absolutely incredible experience, and I can't wait to order (some day).

Similar here.

After reading everything possible about the Model S, a test car finally came to Australia. My Tesla moment was being in the car for the first time and the acceleration off the line. I realised that nothing you read could prepare you for how fun the real thing is, and that in the future Model S owners will be proud to be among the first to own a next generation vehicle and lifestyle.

I have a friend who is into fast cars. He posted on his Facebook about his latest car and I messaged him saying we should do a race and that I would sure beat him on the 1/4 mile. He replied he got a Nissar GTR, 0-60 in 2.7 seconds and the fastest lap ever at the Nuerburg Ring. Then he asked what I got. My only reply was: OK, you win. :eek: then I quickly changed the subject hahaha

We were in Idaho Falls, ID and had pulled over to the curb in a residential area. While getting out of our car, we see a gentleman get out of his BMW that had just pulled up behind us. (We had just given my wife's 93 year old uncle and his 86 year old cousin a ride.) The man says, "I was behind you and thought it was a Tesla but had to go around the block to make sure." He eagerly accepted an invitation to drive the car and drove it around the neighborhood with his daughters in the back seat. It seemed to confirm his interested in purchasing a Model X. We have provided many such test drives plus drives to our neighbors since receiving the car at the end of March.

I had a bunch of moments after I got my car in Dec 2012 with lots of folks asking about it, but I haven't had anyone ask about it in many months now. I guess there are enough in Portland, OR that anyone that cares already knows what they want to know.

Some of my favorite Tesla moments in Seattle:

1) An SUV pulled up next to me at the Supercharger, rolled down their windows, and took a photo of my car with me inside it! Then when they realized I was inside they got out and we talked Tesla for a while.

2) Dropped off the wife at the DOT this morning, and some guy randomly walked up my car looking inside... again with me in it! I rolled down the windows and ended up giving him a test ride.

3) A guy in a red truck (around my age, 26ish), rolled down his windows and yelled "F$^& you, you rich Cock###### Fag". I'm not rich, so I just smiled and gave him a thumbs up. Then I smoked him at the green light haha.

I have been driving for Uber/Lyft lately, and the response to the car is incredibly positive. I am sure I have sold at least two, and plenty of Gen 3's.