Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla moments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was interviewed by our local CBS affiliate in Burlington, Vermont last winter. As fate would have it, the reporter asked to have a look "under the hood." It was a perfect setup, and I obliged. Her reaction to seeing nothing under the hood is quite classic.

Behind the wheel of the top car of 2014 - WCAX.COM Local Vermont News, Weather and Sports-

Todd,
Well done interview. Very polished. You must be used to giving the "Tesla Talk"! I still have to tweak mine a little.
Andy

I was interviewed by our local CBS affiliate in Burlington, Vermont last winter. As fate would have it, the reporter asked to have a look "under the hood." It was a perfect setup, and I obliged. Her reaction to seeing nothing under the hood is quite classic.

Behind the wheel of the top car of 2014 - WCAX.COM Local Vermont News, Weather and Sports-
Nice representation of yourself and the car. You came across as very comfortable and (a compliment!) normal.

And I wondered if that had been staged. Apologies for my skepticism :)

You did well in the interview, thank you for representing Tesla and Model S owners so well.

LOVE this! Refreshing to see a segment where the reporter doesn't ask FUD questions. It was more like we were witnessing her conversion in real time! :D

ToddRLockwood - great job!

So my wife and I went picking blueberries in Maryland today. My wife stayed with the car because she recently had knee surgery and has to stay off her leg. The proprietor of the picking grounds walks by the car with a customer who needed directions to the rest room and on the way back she stops and talks to my wife saying what a nice car and that she was welcome to move the car closer to where I was picking. When my wife indicates that she can’t drive because of the surgery, the proprietor offers to drive the car for her, tongue-in-cheek. My wife laughs it off and thanks her.

Then the gentleman needing rest room directions walks back and talks to her, indicating that his bosses were interested in getting one for their business and asked him to research how easy it was to charge on the road. She gladly explains about the superchargers and in-home charging. In the mean time, I’m picking blueberries and missing Tesla time!

I get done and need to get my wallet from the car to pay for the day’s pickings, so instead of walking back and forth I drive the car up to their tent. The proprietor comes running back over and wants to see the engine under the hood, so I happily pop the frunk and she goes all googley-eyed and says “so it’s in the back then?” So I pop the trunk and she’s even further surprised and I explain that it’s just a small box between the rear wheels. She jumped in the drivers seat and took a look at the inside and is all oohs and aahs and asks her friend to snap a picture of her sitting in the car. Friend calls her shameless and takes the picture anyway.

We had a nice time and it was very special showing off the car to someone truly in the “green” sector. We’ll have to go back again before the end of the season in August because I’ll probably wind up sharing most of the day’s bounty with family so I’ll need another trip to restock. I’ll have to figure out how I can share Tesla time from the field:smile:

This is a bit delayed as I've been a bit busy lately.

I had a big truck catch up to me on the freeway the other day, an F-250... expecting the typical response, I was surprised to get a massive thumbs up and grin from the driver. Then as he pulled ahead, I noticed his license plate "KCELCTRC" or something like that. It's a local Electrician company.

Then, the other day, I was on my way to hockey in my Focus (My hockey gear isn't allowed to touch the Tesla under most circumstances). I saw a white model S pulling into the hotel next to the rink. Since it was coming the other way rather than from the superchargers, I decided I'd follow and say hi. He was on day 2 of ownership! Congrats to the new owner.

Todd, This story could not have been better. And you knowledge of the car help make it so. You probably just sold another 4 or 5 Model Ss in Vermont.

At car wash yesterday with my wife... guy chats me up in the waiting area, asking all the questions about range, charging, quickness, etc... I told him about the superchargers, which really impressed him. He was very impressed. He said he's thinking seriously about one.

It turns out his was the vehicle behind mine coming out of the wash: a lifted and tuned up Chevy Crew Cab Duramax Diesel full-size, truck, lol...

Todd: Great video segment! All we need is a Hookset supercharger and Vermont opens up for Tesla.

I totally agree!

- - - Updated - - -

And I wondered if that had been staged. Apologies for my skepticism :)

You did well in the interview, thank you for representing Tesla and Model S owners so well.

Nope. She walked right into that one!

- - - Updated - - -

That is great, Todd!
i have heard many numbers for the moving parts in drivetrain (being conservative I say "less than 30" because that is the highest I have heard), does anybody have an official verified number?

I don't recall what my source was for that number (6 moving parts). I think it's probably fairly accurate, not including the rear axles and U-joints.

I had a Chevy-something (angular and fast.. looking) try to pass me today; he kept downshifting to try to compensate and was laughing like crazy every time I matched his speed when he came alongside. Fun was had by all, though he was making enough sound for any three other cars by the time he made his last attempt.

Two quickies:

Road trip inbound to Hagerstown, MD Supercharger (maybe 50 miles out) from Pittsburgh. Black Dodge Avenger comes up from behind, respectful distance, as I'm passing a line of slower traffic. Pass complete, I move right and he pulls alongside. Driver (white guy/ballcap/beard) does a series of friendly honks and a huge across the car emphatic thumbs up. I return my usual mahalo and he pulls on away.

------

Waiting at traffic light to get on my usual on-ramp towards Pittsburgh, older silver Pontiac Grand Am pulls up behind me. Middle aged (?) couple (?) inside with man driving. Watching my mirror, I see woman holding bright red-cased cellphone very obviously up to windshield... for a long time. Not sure if she's taking a whole portfolio of pictures or video! It's a long light so after a minute or so the driver apparently decides he'd like to take pictures too. So he produces a full-on SLR and starts snapping away at the same time. Family is with me and we're all laughing-- then the woman takes the man's camera away (clearly he's not the photographer in this relationship) and now she's taking pictures with it. Light goes green and we whoosh away and merge towards the city.

A few miles down the road the stalking continues. Grand Am is riding in that 7 o'clock shadow position with cameras still going. Quite amusing to us as Pittsburgh isn't the desert of Teslas it once was-- but still rare enough, I guess! They finally pass by us slowly, still taking pictures/video and smile and wave. We follow them for a while then they move over and appear to slow down. Okay... So we pull beside them. I tell my wife to give them a countdown with her fingers: 3.....

Then I floor the throttle and we warp decisively into the distance, grinning all the way, with my daughter's arms over her head in full "roller coaster" mode!

You can't see much of this from the dashcam... but it's there (the launch is the slight downward lurch of the frame):

Last edited by a moderator:
I really wish we had a mechanism to report "7 o'clock shadow" as it's illegal to use the passing lane in this fashion.

The "5 o'clock shadow" isn't explicitly illegal, though it's definitely unsafe.

Todd, I seriously consider TM should send you a surprise gift (a tesla sports jacket or something like that) for being such a proper Tesla Ambassador. The interview came out great. Can you upload the interview to YouTube?

The love we have for our cars (their technology, how much fun it is to drive them and their environmental statement for the future) is making many of us true Tesla Motors Ambassadors.

I was showing my local small banker today the car after we jumped though lots of hoops to finance their first Tesla; while as I am showing it to her another bank customer walks up and I restart the spiel about how great the Tesla is, his next question to her is; "Can I get an auto loan?" to which I add "She worked miracles for me!!!"...