Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla moments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've also been a lurker on this forum for over a year with the intent to buy a tesla in a couple of years as I can't afford one now without making serious lifestyle changes, but I love cars and technology. Some of us just like to accumulate a wealth of knowledge to defend ourselves against the haters.
But back to more stories from my favorite thread on TMC...let's hear those Tesla moments so we can live vicariously through you.

+1 :biggrin:

I've also been a lurker on this forum for over a year with the intent to buy a tesla in a couple of years as I can't afford one now without making serious lifestyle changes, but I love cars and technology. Some of us just like to accumulate a wealth of knowledge to defend ourselves against the haters.
But back to more stories from my favorite thread on TMC...let's hear those Tesla moments so we can live vicariously through you.

Well, it's called

Tesla Motors Club - Enthusiasts & Owners Forum

Just about every Tesla owner is also an enthusiast, but I'll bet there are tons of non-owning enthusiasts too. I was, before I became an owner. Welcome all enthusiasts!

Since august 2014 (in three months' time), my wife and I have driven more than 10.000km (> 6000 mi) with only a 13A 220V charger (the UMC) at home (+superchargers on the road). It has never been an issue for us. The 13km/h that it charges at means that overnight, I will charge much more than I need on a typical weekday.

Interesting that your UMC takes so long to charge your car. My UMC is on a 50 amp breaker, uses 40 amp at 220 volts, which is 8.8 kWh, which would fill your battery in about ten hours. Seems like you could up your circuit breaker or something. Then your car is full every morning, and there is no anxiety.

I would hate to try to recharge at the chargers that abide everywhere for Leafs and Volts. Some of them are 3.3 kWh, and that would take much longer.

To say this is just yet another 'automotive' site is a travesty. If someone thinks so, then they don't belong here.

Yes, TMC members and guests come in a variety of flavors:

- Tesla car owners and potential owners
- TSLA investors
- EV enthusiasts in general
- Folks interested in topics on Energy, Environment and Sustainable Transport
- Tesla employees / lurkers too :)

This is definitely one of my favorite threads as well. It's great to hear the tales of Tesla-induced thrills and joy over and over.

I recall an old "TMC moment", someone posted "is there anyone here that doesn't actually have a Tesla?"
a certain doug replied, "there's me". :smile: you'll have to go find it. Made me smile.

And, last Sunday . . . I was easily able and happy to steer the dinner conversation toward electric cars and the Supercharger network. Someone there was taken aback by the SCs placement in far off non-urban/small towns (around here anyway). The "almost everybody charges at night in their garage - those are for long distance" words put this look of realization on his face that I will long remember. Thanks Elon, now would you please make MY Tesla

Interesting that your UMC takes so long to charge your car. My UMC is on a 50 amp breaker, uses 40 amp at 220 volts, which is 8.8 kWh, which would fill your battery in about ten hours. Seems like you could up your circuit breaker or something.

Fortunately, that is true :). We are planning to do that in the very near future (our home is currently being renovated). After the upgrade, I will be able to charge single phase at 230V and 32A (7kW). Currently, we only have a "schuko" plug (the standard household plug where I live).

With the European UMC, the quickest possible charging rate is at 400V, 32A, three phase (22kW).

Driving home a Mercedes low slung coupe ( I am not good with identifying cars) suddenly pulls into traffic behind me and gets really close to my bumper. I thought I had cut her off her something until she raised her phone and very clearly starts snapping some pictures.

I picked up my car just over a week ago and only told a few people at work about it so I didn't look like a show off. I work in an office with about 1,000 people in it and we have an attached parking garage. I've got the only Tesla here.

Yesterday, I went out for lunch and shortly after getting back to my desk, the building receptionist sent an email out to the whole company: "White Tesla owner, you left your lights on...".

Apparently someone noticed the car while the lights were still on after I walked away and felt compelled - a nice gesture, sure, but how many newer cars have that feature? (plenty)

Of course I checked my mobile app and the car was locked and the lights off.

Needless to say, I was a bit embarrassed and now the "cat's out of the bag" about my fancy new car... I got plenty of jokers stopping by and emailing me about it.

Hope this is not off topic, kind of an anti-Tesla moment. I had to rent a Ford Explorer for a week and the 3rd evening having it we went out to dinner. Returning to the car, I found that I had never pushed the off button and it had been running the whole time. :( One dinner and my 11 months of Zero Emissions, turned into a gas wasting, idling nightmare! The car sure was warm, but so were my red cheeks, from embarrassment and fuel wasting guilt! I returned the Ford and am back to my wonderful Tesla Model S that needs no shut off button! Guilt free transportation is one huge reason to buy this car! :)

I have had several moments over the last 7 months... and they never get old.

However, yesterday, I had one I want to share.

I cross a busy intersection in Wake Forest, NC, and see a large passenger bus (like a party bus limo, etc - would hold 20ppl max) sitting at the intersection waiting to turn right.

I drive by, in front of it, as I have the green light. The bus driver is watching me so intently as I roll by him and through the intersection.

He makes the turn behind me.. and is now following me.

We approach the next light, and he changes lanes, pulls to my left, and starts talking, all animated, through his bus doors (which are closed) and I cannot hear him at all.

So, I roll my window down, he has to put his bus in park to open his doors, then the opens then and says "OMG! That is the most beautiful car I have ever seen! I wasn't sure what it was"

I said 'Thank you" and told him it was a Tesla and then the light changes to green and we have to move along.

I could tell that man was so excited.

He was prob late 50's to early 60's and was just like a kid.... Big-eyed and happy... and wow'd at the beauty of these cars.

It was a good day!

Hope this is not off topic, kind of an anti-Tesla moment. I had to rent a Ford Explorer for a week and the 3rd evening having it we went out to dinner. Returning to the car, I found that I had never pushed the off button and it had been running the whole time. :( One dinner and my 11 months of Zero Emissions, turned into a gas wasting, idling nightmare! The car sure was warm, but so were my red cheeks, from embarrassment and fuel wasting guilt! I returned the Ford and am back to my wonderful Tesla Model S that needs no shut off button! Guilt free transportation is one huge reason to buy this car! :)

Yeah, I've done that. Twice. Sigh.