Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla most unreliable car manufacturer ever ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The point is that consumer reports surveys enough people that individual anecdotal experiences are averaged out. Your single experience is far less representative of actual reality.
On the subject of Consumer reports, Tesla is not anywhere near the most unreliable:
The last brand on the list was Fiat with a -177 percent score. The unloved Fiat 500L is “the worst car in our survey,” according to automotive testing director Jake Fisher. Jeep was second worst behind the Fiat brand, in 27th place (-97 percent). Trailing Fiat is Ram (-95 percent) at 26th, Cadillac (-91 percent) at 25th, and Infiniti (-55 percent) at 24th.
Lexus, Toyota, Audi, Mazda Top Consumer Reports Reliability Survey

Consumer reports did say sample size of 1400 Tesla owners was too small to give an overall rating:
CR did not receive sufficient data from its readers on Jaguar, Land Rover, Mitsubishi, Scion, Smart, or Tesla to include their scores, though a special measure of the Tesla Model S based on 1,400 reader responses lowered its rating from “average” last year to “below average.”

However, we do know the Model S score among hybrids and EVs is -45 percent:
Consumer Reports Says Tesla Model S "Not Recommended" on Reliability

Reactions: JimmyAZ
since we are posting our anecdotal experiences I disagree with this comment. I've owned 4 MBs, still have one and 2 Model S, my first model s85 had numerous minor issues, needed a 12v battery fix and also needed a DU swap, I've never had such issues in any of my MBs, my current s90d has seen minor AP and software issues that have not warranted a SC visit and has performed just about flawlessly with over 6500 miles on it which include a 4k+ mile road trip.
I am glad you have had better experience with your latest S. So have I. But saying MBs have issues is known. Look at the reliability polls that Consumer Reports does. MB is often quite a ways down the list. It is not anecdotal.

And, again, MB has been building their cars for years, while Tesla is a startup. There is a difference.

I'm just gonna throw this out here:

image.jpeg

I can tell you from my personal experience that tesla builds the most reliable cars I have ever driven (coming from Audi, Mercedes, BMW and Lexus).

I got one of the last roadsters built and there few issues.

I got a 2013 model s (VIN 18xxx) and shortly after that a 2014 model s (VIN 29xxx). Compare the two and it was easy to grasp the vast improvement in build quality in the 6 months between them. Looking at new model s there has been further improvement till today I would say it is now technically mature.

But even the few issues I had were taken care of by tesla in a wonderful way. It was always an excellent experience with the service people. And while the car was in the service center I was able to try out the latest/greatest loaner.

I have over 60,000 km on my roadster and have put over 140,000 km on my model s. Both are better than new because of the updates.

Expect model 3 to be the same.

About Model X, these are its early days. This production batch is first mass produced batch. Just like any new product, the early batch has some problems.
Yet in its first model year, this brand new car earned: Consumer Reports says Prius C most reliable 2012 vehicle. Keep in mind this is a car that Consumer Reports doesn't like, didn't recommend then and still doesn't recommend because it scores too low in their road tests.
Those with complaints naturally migrate towards owner forums. As many have said before, you're getting a skewed perspective here.
Hang out on mynissanleaf.com or Priuschat for a few months or longer. For vehicles of similar age and mileage (and even going back to the oldest Leafs), you'll find a FAR lower volume and frequency of problem reports, esp. serious ones or that would require a very expensive repair, if out of warranty.
Five MS over three years and I've had far fewer problems than with any previous BMW or MB. Go figure.
Except BMW and Mercedes aren't known for good reliability...
How can this be possible, with a car that is 100k $ or more to come out of the factory with so so many problems/issues ?
Price has nothing to do w/reliability.
I am hoping for Tesla's own fate that they will start making more reliable cars ASAP!
Ditto. Once Teslas become much more mass market, many of the buyers/lessee will not be Tesla fanboys and there will be potentially greater attention from the media if there are common or widespread serious issues.

That said, from Consumer Reports data, so far, Tesla is not the most unreliable car manufacturer.

Last edited:
I can tell you from my personal experience that tesla builds the most reliable cars I have ever driven (coming from Audi, Mercedes, BMW and Lexus).

I got one of the last roadsters built and there few issues.

I got a 2013 model s (VIN 18xxx) and shortly after that a 2014 model s (VIN 29xxx). Compare the two and it was easy to grasp the vast improvement in build quality in the 6 months between them. Looking at new model s there has been further improvement till today I would say it is now technically mature.

But even the few issues I had were taken care of by tesla in a wonderful way. It was always an excellent experience with the service people. And while the car was in the service center I was able to try out the latest/greatest loaner.

I have over 60,000 km on my roadster and have put over 140,000 km on my model s. Both are better than new because of the updates.

Expect model 3 to be the same.

I like to hear such user experiences from Tesla owners, really

Why am I a troll ? As a potential Tesla Model 3 customer, I'm starting to get worried when I see so many people posting big issues with their Tesla's.
If someone says something negative about Tesla is automatically a troll on this forum or what ?
I am trying to get more info here
There is a world of difference between making a negative statement about Tesla and making a blanket statement like "Tesla has proven to be the most unreliable car manufacturer out there" as if it were fact when actually it is not "proven" in any manner. Your choice of words is what has engendered the strong disagreement in this thread.

Your statement is unsupported by any data other than anecdotal reports. Of course some owners have had problems. The perfect car with no problems does not exist. Read the Consumer Reports articles about Tesla and then compare them to articles about other car manufacturers. Tesla is better in some respects and worse in others.

Reactions: JimmyAZ