Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla most unreliable car manufacturer ever ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a big big Tesla fan, I am a tehnology freak and a cars freak as well, with Tesla having the most tehnologically cars on the road, they stole my heart instantly.Since I can not afford to buy an MS, not to say an MX, I was waiting for the Model 3.

Tesla is in the vision of many the ultimate dream car.An almost perfect car with the most advanced tehnology present on a production car.It has good looks, is one of the fastest cars out there, has very futuristic features like big central display, flusing door handles, falcon wing doors etc. etc.

But now, after reading users experience with Tesla MS and MX, I am a bit discouraged.Tesla has proven to be the most unreliable car manufacturer out there.
With the MS having those common problems with the drive unit, the central display, the door handles etc. etc.

And now the MX started coming out of production I can see Tesla hasn't improved their cars reliablity at all, in fact it is now even worse ! I can see MX owners complaning everywhere about front doors getting stuck, not opening or closing, the back Falcon wings are even worse, they are not closing/opening properly, lacking alignment, and this is not even all, there are also lots of other issues .Already, we have heard issues of faulty seat coverings, rattles, thumps, inoperable electronics, etc.
I can see owners that couldn't even enjoy their rides at all, most of the times their car is at Tesla SC getting "fixes"

I don't see myself buying a car that comes with so many issues right out of the factory.
For me, reliablity is a top priority when it comes to buying a car.

How can this be possible, with a car that is 100k $ or more to come out of the factory with so so many problems/issues ?
I am hoping for Tesla's own fate that they will start making more reliable cars ASAP!

What will happen when Model 3 comes out ?What if they will be so unreliable, as the MS and MX have proven to be ?

Related threads from the forum :

Horrible Horrible and Terrible Day!

Driver side window hitting the frame when closing

Model X - Flawed or Flawless?

To Buy & Sell, To Cancel or To Hope and Pray for the Best

Driver door won't open or close completely

I am not an owner, but I have read enough reviews from owners to tell you that you are making your opinion from skewed data. Please go to the S forums. Sure, if you try to search real hard you might find a small thread there talking about some problems but Model S has become more and more reliable with time.
About Model X, these are its early days. This production batch is first mass produced batch. Just like any new product, the early batch has some problems. And it's not like the cars are useless, the service center deals with problems as you might have read too.
I hope that you won't let this temporary growing pain phase of Model X to allow you to prevent reserving a Model 3 and missing out on what's probably will be another great car.

I think the Lada would have that distinction.

But it is surprising that with all the experience on the S, that the X has issues that seem to be basic car manufacturing (vs. say problems with the EV-uniqueness of a big battery)
Model X have many unique features. So, it can be said it's door don't latch but that would be incomplete data. It's doors are automatic and hence its far from a basic problem. Yes, painting mishaps are basic. Door alignment too. Tesla should look at why basic issues are reoccurring.

• Disagree
Reactions: Dr ValueSeeker
You cannot derive reliability data from internet forums:

1) Most members are enthusiasts, not average owners. This can color the data in either direction.
2) Few people post "My Car Ran Good Today". They post to get feedback when they have an issue.
3) People with a bad experience vanish. Why go to a Mercedes board when you are now in an Volvo?

Reactions: roblab
How can this be possible, with a car that is 100k $ or more to come out of the factory with so so many problems/issues ?

You need more experience with >$100,000 cars. They tend to have a lot of problems, and very expensive repairs. Don't buy a Ferrari if you are worried about reliability and repair costs.

The more complex a car is, the more chances for trouble.

Horsepower also comes into play. Notice people rave about Toyota Quality? It only applies to the weak models. The big SUVs and Pickups with big engines are average at best.

What will happen when Model 3 comes out ?What if they will be so unreliable, as the MS and MX have proven to be ?

You just threw a stone into a honeycomb! Be prepared to be swarmed now!
BTW, you missed this gem from a brand new P85D owner:
My 2 day old P85D suddenly died in the middle of an intersection

"Tesla is a mess. I think our "black-hole" P85Ds were cobbled together with any available parts and duct tape. They are all Frankenstein cars sold at full price. I really should have listened to my brain and cancelled both cars. I think people who will get March builds will be very happy. Expensive mistake.
I am sure our Frankenstein cars will eventually be fixed under warranty but it will not be fun getting tow truck rides every few weeks to the SC."

But give them some time. They only started , what, just 14 years ago. By 2030, Tesla CAN make ar eliable car like the Corolla. Remember what Ron Baron says? Tesla has very few moving parts. So their cars must be the most reliable :)

@vortexz, your statement "Tesla has proven to be the most unreliable car manufacturer out there" is not supported by the evidence is is frankly, absurd.

Go to any online car forum and you will find large numbers of complaints by owners about problems they are having with their cars. Owners with car problems are far more likely to post they owners without problems. Please keep that in mind.

If Tesla was the most unreliable ever owners would sell their cars and go somewhere else. Massive evidence says that is not the case, so whatever.

Where is "somewhere else"? There is nowhere to go, if you want to drive a long range capable electric car. Tesla is currently a monopolist.

But the Model 3 will have less problems. No fancy pants doors = less chance of door failure.

Most unreliable car manufacturer ever? Not by a long shot. The Model S is one of the best cars on the market in any category or class. There are lots of Model X's being delivered lately and relatively few reports of problems, most of which seem to show up here. Just like any other online forum. Tesla also has a history of taking care of their customers.

Five MS over three years and I've had far fewer problems than with any previous BMW or MB. Go figure.
Nitpicker's corner: This post made me read your signature. "P85+ upgraded to P85D" - In light of the product offerings such as "Ludicrous upgrade", you might want to use a different word than "upgrade". ;) Otherwise you'll start getting questions.... :p

Where is "somewhere else"? There is nowhere to go, if you want to drive a long range capable electric car. Tesla is currently a monopolist.
This is a fair point. I wouldn't use the word "monopolist" here, because I think of its meaning differently than you're using. I agree that there are no alternatives of interest for buyers like me (200+ miles, inter-state charging viable, compelling drive experience, not fugly).

I am a big big Tesla fan, I am a tehnology freak and a cars freak as well, with Tesla having the most tehnologically cars on the road, they stole my heart instantly.Since I can not afford to buy an MS, not to say an MX, I was waiting for the Model 3.

To Buy & Sell, To Cancel or To Hope and Pray for the Best

Driver door won't open or close completely

I think all new cars can have problems .

My i3 was for 1 week at the service after I drove 250km

@vortexz: if you want to have this new technology without potential problems , you have to wait 4-5 years.

Reactions: dwebb66