Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Motors HK - lack of communication?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you complain enough for a company to not want and sell you a $100k car, you were probably never going to be happy with it to begin with. Don't know if that story is true but hopefully that friend can wait until things smooth out with cars being delivered and try again if they want.

The Tesla Motors website was updated today, and thus offline for a while. When it came back, there were still only those 4 test drives at various locations in July in Japan - nothing else for Asia/Pacific for all of July.

According to rumours and what we heard of delivery dates, the first deliveries should be less than 2 weeks away.

Where is the announcement?

Will reservation holders be invited to the event?

Is it true that Elon Musk isn't coming to HK for this event?

Is the moon really made of cheddar cheese?

Upon aerial inspection, nothing unusual was noted at the "rumoured event location":

View attachment 53562

Taking a closer look, certain suspicious red items were just part of white-red plastic road block units:

View attachment 53563

Even the Tesla Motors Inc app, which you can find online on www in the iTunes store, still doesn't even show if you have a Hong Kong iTunes account with Apple:

View attachment 53564

Click the link, open in iTunes, and if you have a HK account, it will say "not found". Search for "Tesla Motors Inc" on your iPhone - and nothing shows (for a HK account). Change to a USA, Canadian or various European countries - if you have an account there - and you can get the app.

I know TM can still be considered a startup company if you stretch the term a bit, yet it seems a bit odd there is so little proper communication from TM, and when there is, it is conflicting, changing, unclear.

TM, you can do better than this!

Do we really need to get the information we desire, through rumours, guesswork and reverse engineering of VINs, RNs, sequence numbers and random emails from various TM employees?

Just tracking back things, DITB, you are an excellent spy, Tom Cruise-like! Though I would like to see a real zoomed-in of the red and white thing you were talking about.

Also, I think your photos should go under markwj's new thread or the latest news thread. I was trying to find your photo just now and it took me a long time just to find it under "Tesla Motors HK - lack of communication?"

Just tracking back things, DITB, you are an excellent spy, Tom Cruise-like! Though I would like to see a real zoomed-in of the red and white thing you were talking about.

Also, I think your photos should go under markwj's new thread or the latest news thread. I was trying to find your photo just now and it took me a long time just to find it under "Tesla Motors HK - lack of communication?"

I still haven't confirmed whether or not the moon is made of cheddar cheese though.

River Leung, I'd be very shocked if your friend's story is true! Though I'd take most online stories with a grain of salt, then again, there is no reason to make up such a story unless you work for one of their competitors... I've interacted with a broad range of Tesla employees incl junior and senior staff over the past few years. Lack of regular communication and organization which are reflective of a start up company, yes! But they are certainly not the type that can't take a complain in stride and they are a good bunch.

I'd turn down an order such as if someone orders a pink rolls royce so to speak, but not for complaining too much. I think in this case the complain is probably warranted, but would it be the trigger for an order cancellation, guess there could be another side to the story.

Though I gave up either complaining or demand a precise delivery date as far as 1 year ago!

Afterall tesla is still a startup and they need time to ramp up their operations. Lets be patient and wait for the great car :)

I am mainly concerned about potential customers lost, and a bad image for Tesla Motors - for an issue which is so easy to fix.

Why isn't there a mailing list for all reservation holders - with a monthly-ish newsletter, of course, not revealing any company secrets? Or something on the HK website, "news" section which is really relevant for Hong Kong, and for customers here. It's great to read about gigafactories, supercharger development and defamation of silly New York Times "journalists", yet some true local news and "official" updates would be highly appreciated.

I am not cancelling my order because of the lack of information. TM HK is the only way I can get a Tesla Model S in Hong Kong, so whatever they offer, I will accept it. The average Joe who doesn't care much about "the cause" however, he might be scared away from Tesla - that is the whole point here.

Tesla can sell cars to enthusiast today, and possibly also through 2015 - yet there will be a day where they will have to advertise and care about their image, PR, communication and so on - more than they do today.