Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Needs a Gasoline Vehicle to be Profitable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At this time, I don't think Tesla should invest any resources on a hybrid or extended-range electric vehicle. They first need to complete their Supercharger network, and get the Model X and Gen III out. If they can avoid a gasoline-powered vehicle/EREV altogether, that would be a huge accomplishment.

I smell burned short. For some reason (gee, I wonder what it could be) the author failed to mention that the Model S has already blown well past the panamera in sales. Here is a report saying that in Feb 2013 Porsche sold only about 400 panameras. Although Tesla releases only quarterly figures, a not unreasonable guess would peg the same Feb sales of the Model S at over 4x the panamera sales.

Porsches Sales up 41% in North America for the Month of March | @FlatSixes - the blog about Porsche

At this time, I don't think Tesla should invest any resources on a hybrid or extended-range electric vehicle. They first need to complete their Supercharger network, and get the Model X and Gen III out. If they can avoid a gasoline-powered vehicle/EREV altogether, that would be a huge accomplishment.

+1. This is not the ABA or the AFL. We don't need to merge.

I think this article is based on the old way of thinking, with EV's having low range and slow methods of charging. Tesla is working to change this paradigm, and I believe is doing so successfully. Given particular comments by the author, it seems that he had no clue about the culture changes Tesla has been creating. There is no mention of superchargers, battery swap, etc. He expresses concerns about range, with no mention of the drastic difference between Tesla and the competition.

The only valid point made in this article is the concerns over price/affordability.

Was this article put together by some madlib software?

• Elon Musk, the most handsome ... man in the world
    (reported by no one)
  • For Tesla to be successful (haven't they already been?)
  • A car industry research powerhouse released a piece of research in 2010 (3 years ago?)
  • Nine Cities Running Out of Water (huh?)
  • most people cannot afford a $85,00 Tesla (with all the options) (1. editorial forgot a zero 2. buying all the options is not required for "can afford" 3. $85k is too *low* for "all the options")
  • drivers would need to get over their worry about the range of electric cars and the period required to charge car batteries (If this is from the 2010 report it obviously has no incorporation of superchargers or swapping into the analysis)
  • If he is lucky, the company will sell 30,000 vehicles this year (wrong, bad numbers not matching Tesla's figures or any analyst; looks like a straw man argument for shorting them when they don't reach an imaginary, irrelevant projection)
  • Drawbacks include tight access and restricted visibility. (I have no idea what this is saying. Something about the windshield or pano roof being too small?)
  • Tesla needs something in the form of an engine that would sharply broaden its appeal. (Unfounded conclusion I deeply disagree with. The moment they talk about putting gasoline in their vehicles is when many of us start looking to liquidate our shares.)
  • The sports car has performance similar to a Tesla. (This says more about Porsche than it does about Tesla. A sports car having similar performance to a sedan. Sad for the sports car.)
  • If Musk wants to broaden the appeal of Tesla further (... he should once again laugh at this author and move along.)

Maybe this article was just written 3 years ago and they inserted some new data to make it sound current and grab some eyeballs. That's the only way I can read any sense into it.

The only gas engine I think would be suitable for a Tesla would be some kind of separate power source to run the HVAC systems in extreme heat or cold to conserve range.

I like how they used a study on sales data from 2010 to make their point. It's 20 friggin 13!!! Sheesh

​New Innovative vehicle to be built by Tesla motors before 2018:
The HyBIRD automobile, it's a hybrid vehicle meets horse and buggy with a twist. The HyBIRD vehicle looks similar to Tesla's Model S with a much deeper and extended "frunk" area housing Tesla's new HyBird propulsion engine. The Hybird propulsion engine consists of a traditional hybrid system along with a Biological fuel converting "people mover" that can be removed from the frunk and used much like a slow moving motorcycle for short jaunts, for instance getting an occupant from their car across a long parking lot to the front door of a mall or local grocery store. When not used as a people mover, the Biological fuel converter is stored in the frunk where it magically converts simple grains and water into fuel. Elon Musk, creator of the new HyBIRD system thought up the idea after taking a carriage ride along the countryside in Aruba where ostrich farms dot the landscape. "It is a natural fit" Elon Musk is quoted as saying, referring to the the ostrich stuffed in the frunk of his new HyBIRD vehicle. "Ostrich's are compact and yet able to carry the weight of a human, add to that, they produce fuel and we have this, well, perfect synergy"...

My strong suspicion is that this piece, along with any number of fully pro-Tesla articles I have seen around the internet - including in this forum - originates because some number of high school or college students have a writing assignment; they write about "new trends in the automotive industry" or under some such topic....and then post it on the internet. HOW it is these articles appear in Yahoo Finance or SA or DumbArticlesRUs.com I don't know.