Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla needs a supercar!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it'd be a brilliant business move to come out with a supercar to show how far the technology has come since the roadster!! If they build it after the Model X and before the Gen. 3, It will get people talking about Tesla again! Say they build it on the Model S platform and make like 200 a year and sell it for $250,000. It'll pay for itself in a year!! I'd call it the Speedster cause it's not a convertible.

Couldn't disagree with this thread more. Tesla already did a 1 trick pony super car in the roadster to break the pre-conceptions of what an electric car can be. Tesla then re-affirmed it 10 fold with the Model S. A super car would just be repetitive at this point and only sell in quantities in the hundreds per year (maybe low thousands).

Right now pretty much all manufactures have their pants down when it comes to EV's which leaves a narrow window for Tesla to take significant market share in product segments that sell in quantities. Of course this all depends on if Tesla can offer their product at a reasonable price (be at least even on cost (in fuel) in 3 years compared to an ICE).
It is time for "practical" ev's such as a gen 3, pickup, light duty work vehicle with 200+ mile ranges. To throw up another 100k + EV will re-enforce the market that EV's are expensive and will always remain so.

Couldn't disagree with this thread more. Tesla already did a 1 trick pony super car in the roadster to break the pre-conceptions of what an electric car can be. Tesla then re-affirmed it 10 fold with the Model S. A super car would just be repetitive at this point and only sell in quantities in the hundreds per year (maybe low thousands).

Right now pretty much all manufactures have their pants down when it comes to EV's which leaves a narrow window for Tesla to take significant market share in product segments that sell in quantities. Of course this all depends on if Tesla can offer their product at a reasonable price (be at least even on cost (in fuel) in 3 years compared to an ICE).
It is time for "practical" ev's such as a gen 3, pickup, light duty work vehicle with 200+ mile ranges. To throw up another 100k + EV will re-enforce the market that EV's are expensive and will always remain so.

You are right. But I think that the new Roadster will be produced after gen 3. I also agree that gen 3 should come first.

The Roadster is 2008 EV tech and it wasn't optimized to be an EV!! If they make another Roadster they could probably get the price down to $75,000 base (Battery and manufacture savings). What I'm talking about tho is an all out supercar to compete with Ferrari and Lamborghini. Put it at a $250,000 price point with maybe $100.000 profit margins!!! They make this car to show that Tesla has the intention of make a full line up of vehicles! (Model S/x, Gen. 3, and luxury sports cars)

Why:
-HUGE margins
-increases brand awareness. Its like free advertisement for EV's and Tesla powertrains!!
-The R&D needed to build a supercar will be a lot less then normal cause Tesla builds all their cars fast with great handling. (My guess is that most of the cost would be in tooling)

Tesla needs a car thats affordable, between 20 and 30k price range and must have about 150 mile range and that should be good enough for most people.i dont know anyone that does 150 miles comute to work on a daily.

Tesla needs a car thats affordable, between 20 and 30k price range and must have about 150 mile range and that should be good enough for most people.i dont know anyone that does 150 miles comute to work on a daily.

I know someone who does 180 miles round trip on his commute daily. In fact, I know four people who do, although two have now moved on and I don't know what their current commutes are.

I think it'd be a brilliant business move to come out with a supercar to show how far the technology has come since the roadster!! If they build it after the Model X and before the Gen. 3, It will get people talking about Tesla again! Say they build it on the Model S platform and make like 200 a year and sell it for $250,000. It'll pay for itself in a year!! I'd call it the Speedster cause it's not a convertible.

Disagree. Tesla will get far more people talking about the company when they announce Gen3 then a supercar. Sure a few will be interested in a supercar, but that is just the point, only a few.

Why not take it "old school" -- back to the future style -- with the ultimate throw-back, taking over this project which still hasn't come to fruition... re-tooling the Delorean into an EV... it's still in concept phase but it would be crazy to see the TM team make this thing really come to market at last:
http://delorean.com/content/news/electric/dmcevspec.pdf

... this would turn some heads if it had roadster supercar plus speed :biggrin:

Why not take it "old school" -- back to the future style -- with the ultimate throw-back, taking over this project which still hasn't come to fruition... re-tooling the Delorean into an EV... it's still in concept phase but it would be crazy to see the TM team make this thing really come to market at last:
http://delorean.com/content/news/electric/dmcevspec.pdf

... this would turn some heads if it had roadster supercar plus speed :biggrin:
Problem with the Delorean is the styling is dated and the aerodynamics aren't particularly good (.33-.34 Cd, CdA the same as a 1993 Saturn S-series wagon). Tesla is trying to establish their own brand and it doesn't make sense to use an existing design (it'll at least have to be redesigned extensively like the original Roadster vs the Elise), esp. now that they have their own in-house design team.

Problem with the Delorean is the styling is dated and the aerodynamics aren't particularly good (.33-.34 Cd, CdA the same as a 1993 Saturn S-series wagon). Tesla is trying to establish their own brand and it doesn't make sense to use an existing design (it'll at least have to be redesigned extensively like the original Roadster vs the Elise), esp. now that they have their own in-house design team.

Totally agree, but thinking just a one-off or limited edition few... could make for some extra buzz at next major car show ( i.e. Elon helping Boeing w/ batteries), this could be a classic car "redo" - Tesla helps electrify Delorean back-to-life for one lucky car collector...

Tesla claims the lowest cost battery per kwh, so I don't think that's a valid conclusion. LiFePO4 has higher C rates, longer cycle life, and less need for thermal management. They just don't have the energy storage density and low cost that LiCo has. Bottom line, you could build a faster car using LiFePO4 if you're willing to give up some range.

From a pure performance point of view, Tesla could certainly take a shot at Ferrari and Lamborghini, but in that rarefied market I believe customers would still prefer the sound of a high-revving gasoline engine. It is a large part of the driving experience in those cars. Tesla would be much smarter to concentrate on the middle of the car market.

From a pure performance point of view, Tesla could certainly take a shot at Ferrari and Lamborghini, but in that rarefied market I believe customers would still prefer the sound of a high-revving gasoline engine.....

I disagree. Many petrol heads have fallen in love with the turbine sound and intoxicating speed of the Tesla electric drive train.

Many who buy high performance cars like the attention they get (witness Lamo's not so subtle paintjobs). Having the latest and greatest is half the fun. Who cares what powers them.