Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla needs to refresh the Model S, asap.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AMPd

Nov 27, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
Although the drop in model S/X demand can be attributed to buyers opting for the model 3. I think it’s buyers who are waiting for a refresh.
Besides the front fascia update and slight rear bumper difference along with seat changes, the model s is very much like the 2012 model

I think there are many people waiting for a new model s, a redisigned S.
It’s been over 6 years!

X with a 3rd row that can comfortably seat adults. 2nd row with all 3 seats independently foldable.
I agree that Tesla could have taken the seat flexibility to a whole new level in the X, where all 5, 6, or 7 seats
could be removed or added independently,
each seat should slide forward/ backward independently in addition to being foldable.
I have a 2018 MX 5 seater, anyone knows if the 2 additional seats could be added to the last row? I saw MS trunk seats for sale on craigslist.

It is not unprecedented for a car model to be in production for a long time. The Tacoma, Beetle, New Beetle and XC90 weren't refreshed for ten years. I would not expect a new generation until at least 2020 or maybe 2022. For sure Tesla will have to upgrade the Model S with the new cell, beef up the cooling system for better performance and tune the suspension.

Reactions: GSP and UncaNed
I certainly agree that they need to.

I imagine we'll see a significant interior update this year.

But, I don't expect to see any major exterior redesign as Tesla has too many other things on their plate.

Plus I'm concerned that there just won't be demand for a car.

When the Model S was the only one available we had a lot of people getting it even if it wasn't an exact fit for what they wanted. But, now there are a lot more options (Model X, Model S, Wait for the Y, Audi vehicles, etc).

What don't we have? Anything capable of hauling things or going off-road. Audi/Porsche/VW doesn't look like they'll have anything so if it was me I'd put priority on the making the Y a bit more rugged than the 3, and a lot of emphasis on the development of the pickup.

Although the drop in model S/X demand can be attributed to buyers opting for the model 3. I think it’s buyers who are waiting for a refresh.
Besides the front fascia update and slight rear bumper difference along with seat changes, the model s is very much like the 2012 model

I think there are many people waiting for a new model s, a redisigned S.
It’s been over 6 years!

You have a point, as if I were planning to buy a Model S, I would not be buying one until the expected update is released.

Reactions: GSP