Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Network - details of which will be released in 2017

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AnxietyRanger

Aug 22, 2014
EU
There hasn't been much talk of the Tesla Network recently. As there is still a bit of the year left, do you think we'll get the announced details on the network next week? Or has anyone registered details which could be considered as that release?

From October, 2016 AP2 announcement:

"Please note also that using a self-driving Tesla for car sharing and ride hailing for friends and family is fine, but doing so for revenue purposes will only be permissible on the Tesla Network, details of which will be released next year"

From July, 2016 Master Plan Deux:

"You will also be able to add your car to the Tesla shared fleet just by tapping a button on the Tesla phone app, and have it generate income for you while you’re at work or on vacation, significantly offsetting and at times potentially exceeding the monthly loan or lease cost."

I also wonder if the new Supercharging fair use policy prohibiting "any" commercial venture use is related to the efforts towards a Tesla Network:

New Supercharger Fair Use Policy

Tesla-full-self-driving-capability-upgrade.jpg

Anything we've heard that I'm missing?

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
It would make sense to start with a traditional rideshare type of service with drivers.

Positives of starting with drivers:
1. Gives current rideshare drivers and riders another premium option.
2. Encourages rideshare drivers to purchase a Tesla to be part of the network.
3. Gives Tesla real world experience in this industry.
4. Builds up the brand for when the self driving cars are available.
5. Free marketing and education as a lot of people have not been in a Tesla.

I could see the whole insurance and the "are drivers employees" questions being an issue. When I driver for the two big services Tesla gets brought with my passengers. They would prefer being in a Tesla and would pay a premium.

It would make sense to start with a traditional rideshare type of service with drivers.

Positives of starting with drivers:
1. Gives current rideshare drivers and riders another premium option.
2. Encourages rideshare drivers to purchase a Tesla to be part of the network.
3. Gives Tesla real world experience in this industry.
4. Builds up the brand for when the self driving cars are available.
5. Free marketing and education as a lot of people have not been in a Tesla.

I could see the whole insurance and the "are drivers employees" questions being an issue. When I driver for the two big services Tesla gets brought with my passengers. They would prefer being in a Tesla and would pay a premium.

For now that would seem to be a non-starter simply because the majority of current Tesla owners no doubt value their time and wear and tear on their (mostly) six-figure Model S or X at a much higher hourly rate than a glorified Uber driver will make. Might be good for Tesla, but not so attractive for most current Tesla owners. Once base spec model 3s are common that might make a little more sense.

That’s not what Tesla Network is! :)
Tesla Network is a future autonomous ride sharing service.

What exactly are you trying to do?
Connect your car to WiFi? Connect the car to a personal hotspot on your phone? Or just access the car from the Tesla app?
Or perhaps you are talking about connecting your phone to the Internet through the car? That’s not currently possible.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Cheburashka