Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Never Registered My Car (California)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been trying to search this issue up, but some of the threads are really dated. So long story short, I purchased a M3 back in Dec 2019. It has been almost a full year, and I can't reach out to anyone to assist with this issue.

So I never received my plates for the car, when I finally went to DMV after SIP was lifted they told me the dealer had never transferred the title over to us.

I've reached out to all the emails I've received from Tesla, and none of them could help me. I called the Fremont dealership where I picked up the car, and the best they could do was email the delivery team. So apparently only the delivery team is able to help me, but for the past 3 months I haven't been able to contact anyone in that department.

I've tried calling the delivery hub number countless times, and like most threads you can't reach them.

My temp plates have been expired since March, and I haven't been able to get new temp tags because no one at sales can assist.

Anyone other recommendation? Because I'm stumped, because I really don't want to have to deal with the issue of driving around a car with expired tags. Can I reasonably take this up with legal?

I do have a lender for this car, and they've been mailing me letters to resolve the registration asap. DMV is telling me I need to deal with Tesla, Tesla isn't responding. I have proof of purchase, and even a lender under this car, can I not make a claim that the vehicle is mines and the lenders' without authorization from Tesla or Tesla to file any of the paperwork?

A year?!

Anyhow. If you search these forums, there are a couple similar stories. I can't remember how they were resolved, sorry.

What I can say (and unfortunately isn't the best of ideas in 2020) is that you need to visit the delivery center in person to make any further progress. As you know, calls and emails are basically useless with Tesla. Good luck.

Reactions: Transformer
A year?!

Anyhow. If you search these forums, there are a couple similar stories. I can't remember how they were resolved, sorry.

What I can say (and unfortunately isn't the best of ideas in 2020) is that you need to visit the delivery center in person to make any further progress. As you know, calls and emails are basically useless with Tesla. Good luck.

Yep, not super thrilled about the situation. I found pretty much the same thing, but they're from like 2 years ago and none of them really had any follow up.

How are you able to have insurance on a car that’s not registered to you? I would have been sitting at the delivery center back in March or April until someone there helped me.

Covid has made some of this so difficult for people and March when your temp plates expired is when we in California went to SIP so thinking things got lost during that timeframe somewhere along the line. I know that when I bought my car in 9/2018 Tesla was using a license service to handle and register the cars. Not sure how things are being handled now.

What documents do you see on your purchase in your Tesla account? Do you have the title and I think registration form filled out in your account? If it were me I would go to the delivery center in Fremont during the week armed with all my paperwork on the purchase (at least with deliveries you know people will be there working) and from your lender, and insist on talking to a manager at the delivery center to resolve this. The fact that your purchase occurred a year ago hopefully won’t make it harder for them to access records and the registration paperwork. Maybe someone there can get you temp tags in the meantime.

Also if it were me I wouldn’t be risking driving around without valid plates and either use a second car if you have or maybe a family member can take you. Even getting a ride there is so much harder to do during covid. You do need to get this resolved now before things get more complicated with your lender and an even bigger headache.

How are you able to have insurance on a car that’s not registered to you? I would have been sitting at the delivery center back in March or April until someone there helped me.

Covid has made some of this so difficult for people and March when your temp plates expired is when we in California went to SIP so thinking things got lost during that timeframe somewhere along the line. I know that when I bought my car in 9/2018 Tesla was using a license service to handle and register the cars. Not sure how things are being handled now.

What documents do you see on your purchase in your Tesla account? Do you have the title and I think registration form filled out in your account? If it were me I would go to the delivery center in Fremont armed with all my paperwork on the purchase (at least with deliveries you know people will be there working) and from your lender, and insist on talking to a manager at the delivery center during the week. The fact that your purchase occurred a year ago hopefully won’t make it harder for them to access records and the registration paperwork. Maybe someone there can get you temp tags in the meantime.

Also if it were me I wouldn’t be risking driving around without valid plates and either use a second car if you have or maybe a family member can take you. Even getting a ride there is so much harder to do during covid.

Funny enough you can get a car insured even if it's not yours legally. Yeah I'm giving them some pass for COVID reasons, but still take that out and we're like 6 months into ownership without registration which would be beyond the temp tag anyways.

The problem is I haven't been able to contact anyone at the delivery center in Fremont, my next step is just to drive down there and pretty much mother f*** someone with all my paperwork. Right now I guess they're not really enforcing plate laws, but never know when they will again. Granted I don't want to deal with the issue of getting pulled over, but I spent $50k on it after taxes. I'll drive it however I like, as far as I'm concern it's paid for, and my loan is current (I only financed ~$20k to keep something on my credit report). If I get towed I'd probably take it up with legal at that point. CHP on field is somewhat reasonable in the Bay Area anyways, it's just a plate, not so much a safety issue.

The documents on my account. Order Agreement, MVPA, Proof of Insurance.

While I don’t think the Delivery personnel will be the ones to resolve this they do process the paperwork and believe it get sent to some other internal department. You probably can’t reach them directly but hopefully someone at the DC can. Given the time frame and driving without registration and plates this needs to be given priority in addressing on their end and make a point of being polite but clear on that. Whoever is at Delivery now wasn’t responsible for creating this so as upset about the mess you may find yourself in now just don’t take it out on someone who you need to help you, not that you would but just saying.

The least someone should be able to do for you at the moment while the registration paperwork is tracked down, if lost between Tesla and their registration handler (then recreating it), is to get you new temporary tags.

Well on the bright side, at least you won't get pulled over. Apparently license plate laws are simply not being enforced anymore, despite the introduction of temporary plates finally happening a year or two ago.
I mean I've done the no plate stuff for years before the temp plates. In my mind it's just a fix it ticket, CHP from my experience, and having friends at CHP, they're field guys are pretty rational...Bay Area anyways. It's just a plate and a clerical issue, not so much a life safety issue.

I mean I've done the no plate stuff for years before the temp plates. In my mind it's just a fix it ticket, CHP from my experience, and having friends at CHP, they're field guys are pretty rational...Bay Area anyways. It's just a plate and a clerical issue, not so much a life safety issue.

Can you ask your friends at CHP why the HOV lane on I-80 in the east bay is never enforced? :(

Also why they don't pull people over for driving with brights on, or no lights at all… So many easy education opportunities. Don't even have to give tickets, just be like "Hey, you're blinding everyone and you suck" or "Hey nobody can see you and you're an idiot"

While I don’t think the Delivery personnel will be the ones to resolve this they do process the paperwork and believe it get sent to some other internal department. You probably can’t reach them directly but hopefully someone at the DC can. Given the time frame and driving without registration and plates this needs to be given priority in addressing on their end and make a point of being polite but clear on that. Whoever is at Delivery now wasn’t responsible for creating this so as upset about the mess you may find yourself in now just don’t take it out on someone who you need to help you, not that you would but just saying.
So my experience over the last 3 months has been. "Oh let me contact the correct department, I'll make sure they get back to you". I thing is I'm pretty well aware that there's a good chance the person I'm talking to doesn't have the ability to help me from start to finish, they can only relay a message. I call every 3 days, and ask the same thing. Of course the response is always the same, but I haven't had anyone call me back yet.

I have a feeling that if anything they would rush to fill this out, once they find out they have to pay registration because it's still technically their car according to DMV.

I've been trying to search this issue up, but some of the threads are really dated. So long story short, I purchased a M3 back in Dec 2019. It has been almost a full year, and I can't reach out to anyone to assist with this issue.

So I never received my plates for the car, when I finally went to DMV after SIP was lifted they told me the dealer had never transferred the title over to us.

I've reached out to all the emails I've received from Tesla, and none of them could help me. I called the Fremont dealership where I picked up the car, and the best they could do was email the delivery team. So apparently only the delivery team is able to help me, but for the past 3 months I haven't been able to contact anyone in that department.

I've tried calling the delivery hub number countless times, and like most threads you can't reach them.

My temp plates have been expired since March, and I haven't been able to get new temp tags because no one at sales can assist.

Anyone other recommendation? Because I'm stumped, because I really don't want to have to deal with the issue of driving around a car with expired tags. Can I reasonably take this up with legal?

I do have a lender for this car, and they've been mailing me letters to resolve the registration asap. DMV is telling me I need to deal with Tesla, Tesla isn't responding. I have proof of purchase, and even a lender under this car, can I not make a claim that the vehicle is mines and the lenders' without authorization from Tesla or Tesla to file any of the paperwork?

Did you file a complaint?

File a Complaint and Report Issues - California DMV

If Tesla is operating as a dealer, there's a process they're expected to follow. This is the kind of procedural violation and lack of response that the complaints system should deal with.

Can you ask your friends at CHP why the HOV lane on I-80 in the east bay is never enforced? :(

Also why they don't pull people over for driving with brights on, or no lights at all… So many easy education opportunities. Don't even have to give tickets, just be like "Hey, you're blinding everyone and you suck" or "Hey nobody can see you and you're an idiot"

They do enforce the HOV right at Emeryville in the afternoon, they'll have one guide and one ticket writer. But yeah man I get you, I bitch to them about high beams and no lights during rain all the time. Like just the other day, it was pouring and I probably counted 20 cars without lights on in heavy rain.

So my experience over the last 3 months has been. "Oh let me contact the correct department, I'll make sure they get back to you". I thing is I'm pretty well aware that there's a good chance the person I'm talking to doesn't have the ability to help me from start to finish, they can only relay a message. I call every 3 days, and ask the same thing. Of course the response is always the same, but I haven't had anyone call me back yet.

I have a feeling that if anything they would rush to fill this out, once they find out they have to pay registration because it's still technically their car according to DMV.

Also what I was told was Delivery team handles registration as apparent the DMV squad is part of their internal department. I called multiple dealers and showroom for assistance as well, they said the best they could do was just relay the message to them. Seems like they also know the delivery hub numbers don't work as well. I literally had one guy go on the phone and say..."yeah they're not gonna pick up, I'll shoot them an email for you"

They do enforce the HOV right at Emeryville in the afternoon, they'll have one guide and one ticket writer. But yeah man I get you, I bitch to them about high beams and no lights during rain all the time. Like just the other day, it was pouring and I probably counted 20 cars without lights on in heavy rain.
Sorry - but my Model S is having electrical issues. If it was a dark blue P85+ my apologies.

• Funny
Reactions: smartypnz
Ok, so my friend is in the process of taking delivery of a Model Y, and just got a text from someone at the Fremont hub about delivery. I was able to relay my info to them, and they said they will have someone following up. Same message, but seems at least its another person that knows my issue.

Should've told my friend to threaten to back out if I don't get my registration.

• Funny
Reactions: JBT66

Ahhhh, tell 'em to come further north :D. The stretch between Richmond and Crockett is just a free-for-all for HOV lane use, drives me batty.

Ok, so my friend is in the process of taking delivery of a Model Y, and just got a text from someone at the Fremont hub about delivery. I was able to relay my info to them, and they said they will have someone following up. Same message, but seems at least its another person that knows my issue.

Should've told my friend to threaten to back out if I don't get my registration.

Why don’t you just register the car now (yourself)?

Meanwhile you continue the quest, but instead get refund for the amount you paid for registration a year ago....I have a feeling it will take another 3 months to get refunded vs longer for them to Register your year old car.

It took tesla 6 months to refund me the Vehicle License Fee (I was exempt) I paid at delivery.

GoodLuck

• Informative
Reactions: Lubestaff