Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Offer Model 3/Y Frunk Group Buy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK...I got a pick tool and still having a really rough time getting the strut off because of the really tight space on the driver side. Do you guys think it matters which direction the strut is oriented? Assuming I do proper cable management so it doesn't get pinched, that is.
Probably a question best answered by the folks at TO. But, as long as the control module detects the right position of the struts, should be just fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jmeitz
Probably a question best answered by the folks at TO. But, as long as the control module detects the right position of the struts, should be just fine.

Yup, got a message into TO. For now, I left the driver side strut upside down, finished the install, and tested and everything is working just fine. I made sure the wiring for the struts was well run and tied down so that there is no chance of pinching of the cable. I'll wait to hear from TO. If they say it absolutely needs to be swapped, I'm not sure what I'll do to be honest. Even with a curled pick tool, I was not able to remove the strut from the ball. The space is just so tight on the driver side. Maybe a proper mechanic could do it?

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, the strut blocks the bolt head so you can't get in there to loosen it. I'll give the wrench a try to leverage but those things seem to REALLY be on there.

Is there a technical reason they can't be upside down? Seems like a piston should work either way.
You connected the bottom to a bolt, or to the plate that comes with the kit and attaches to the frame? If it's the plate, can you unscrew that and pull the whole strut out?

You connected the bottom to a bolt, or to the plate that comes with the kit and attaches to the frame? If it's the plate, can you unscrew that and pull the whole strut out?

I had already attached the new plate and I connected the strut to the ball joint on the plate. The strut is upside down though with the wire coming out of the top. I noticed my mistake when I went to attach the top. The strut blocks the screw so the plate can't be removed without removing the strut. I can't manage to remove the strut because I can't seem to pry the locking band loose with a curved pick tool. The process is completely blind because of how tight the space is on the driver side.

In the end, I left it upside down and finished the install and everything seems to be fine. Waiting to hear from TO if it's OK to leave it as is.

I had already attached the new plate and I connected the strut to the ball joint on the plate. The strut is upside down though with the wire coming out of the top. I noticed my mistake when I went to attach the top. The strut blocks the screw so the plate can't be removed without removing the strut. I can't manage to remove the strut because I can't seem to pry the locking band loose with a curved pick tool. The process is completely blind because of how tight the space is on the driver side.

In the end, I left it upside down and finished the install and everything seems to be fine. Waiting to hear from TO if it's OK to leave it as is.
Got it, I wasn't clear if you'd swapped out the OEM bolt for the new plate.

I agree, it seems like a piston should work one way or the other, and the recommended install is to make sure the wires don't get caught by the frunk lid opening and closing.

I do think a mechanic may have better luck, or even an angled wrench which might be better suited for the space.

Reactions: jwalther420
Waiting on my kit excited. Goofy question... granted I don’t plan to store gold bricks in my frunk but for a thief to get in all the need to do is pull the tow cap off with their fingers and pull the cord or is there a safety of some kind?

Hi All - does anyone know where I can source these clips? I believe at least two fell out of my front underhood apron when removing it from the bay. Either that or both of them at the lower corners are missing. In addition, I believe I snapped off the catches on the side of the panel where they apron clips. I'm going to Tesla to see if they have any of those or can order them. Off to a great start. o_O

Attachments

• IMG_4001.jpg
    IMG_4001.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 74
According to the Tesla parts list for the Model Y, these are called "Apron Trim Clip 10X2.5." Just curious if this is a standard clip I could source online.
Unlike the door panel/interior trim clips, some of these are kinda unique to Teslas, especially the ones under the hood. You'd want exact replacements for these. You will have to visit your SC and place an order over the counter. They may even have some in stock.

Couple additional notes:
If after getting everything connected your Frunk lid doesn’t get pulled down and latched? Before you adjust the nuts on the motor cable, press the button on the control unit two times fast. This resets the latch. Then you need to re-initialize the system by pressing and holding the button one time long press. Then your hood should fully close/latch.

And yes, no way to test the emergency release wire. I was told that wire is only if there is a malfunction and you’ve first tried/pulled the stock release wires first.

Thanks Dave!

Ordered on Wednesday and arriving on Monday, which is way sooner than I was expecting because I selected the slow delivery option. Installing this myself because installer options are limited and expensive in the UK, but I don't have any concerns to be honest.