Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Tesla Offers Winter Wheel and Tire Package for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As severe winter weather descends on the U.S. causing many commuters to find snowy roads, Tesla has released a winter wheel and tire package for the Model 3.

Screen-Shot-2018-01-04-at-8.35.42-AM.png
The Model 3 launched with a standard 18-inch wheel package on Michelin Primacy MXM4 (235/45-18, 98W) tires. The company also offers an optional 19-inch wheel package on Continental ProContact RX (235/40-19, 96W) tires.

The Model 3 “18” Pinwheel and Winter Tire Package” is described on the Tesla website:

Model 3 18” Pinwheel and Pirelli winter tire package provides maximum safety and grip when driving in wet or dry conditions, and on icy or snow-covered roads. The winter package guarantees a high level of traction, stability, and braking efficiency under 45 ℉, which translates to excellent comfort while driving, so you can enjoy wherever you drive with confidence.

Includes:

4 x 18X8.5J PINWHEELS

4 x 235/45/18 – PIRELLI WINTER SOTTOZERO™ SERIE II

4 x tire pressure sensors

4 x Tesla logo Pinwheel caps

The price for the package is $1,700. Tesla also sells tire chains for both 18-inch and 19-inch tires for $115.

Photo: YouTube

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking at the tire pattern, it looks to be more performance car winter tire.
Not for extreme winter with lots of snow on road. I see very mediocre pattern for deep snow.
Rather some slush, lots of rain and cold temperatures. This will work well.
Much better than three-season tires, but not class leading winter tires.
Also, they are not unidirectional and not symmetrical. Therefore good rotation practise is not possible.
Looking at the slits these tires will be counted as "worn" way too early.

All those specs seem to be suitable for mild winter. Low mileage. For a vehicle with lots of power.

EU Tirelabel also gives mediocre ratings. Not noisy, not quiet. Not excellent in rain. Mediocre rolling resistance.
Winter_Sottozero_2_base.png

• Informative
Reactions: Marsnaut
Have any of the people lucky enough to get their model 3 had the chance/need to reset their TPMS? I'm waffling back and forth between just getting winter tires and taking them somewhere to have them swapped twice a year or getting tires and wheels and doing it myself. At about $80 per swap, even getting decent wheels would pay for itself in less than 4 years.

All of this is assuming that you can reset the TPMS through the UI like you can with the S and X.

Looking at the tire pattern, it looks to be more performance car winter tire.
Not for extreme winter with lots of snow on road. I see very mediocre pattern for deep snow.
Rather some slush, lots of rain and cold temperatures. This will work well.
Much better than three-season tires, but not class leading winter tires.
Also, they are not unidirectional and not symmetrical. Therefore good rotation practise is not possible.
Looking at the slits these tires will be counted as "worn" way too early.

All those specs seem to be suitable for mild winter. Low mileage. For a vehicle with lots of power.

EU Tirelabel also gives mediocre ratings. Not noisy, not quiet. Not excellent in rain. Mediocre rolling resistance.

Speaking from someone who had 2 sottozero sets on an 08 Miata PRHT, they are a fantastic winter tire. Deep snow, slush, 2ft of snow, it doesn't matter. The tire performed fantastically.
This is now the series 2. I have no doubt it'll outperform its predecessor.

I'm disappointed that they use 235, which are rather wide for snow tires. 225/45&50/18 and 225/40&45/19 fit nicely on 8.5" wide stock wheels.

you're stretching 225's a bit with a 8.5 inch wide wheel. Even on an 8 inch its still a bit stretched. Ideally you would want an 18x7.5 so you can run 225's comfortably.

Keep in mind, this comes directly from the manufacturer. So all they're doing is putting winter tires on the current 18" aero wheels. Saves them time and resources trying to make something fancy.

I thank Tesla for doing the homework on the tyres choice, but I'll be cheap and just buy steel rims and the tyres myself for a winter set I put on. Should save me $1000 or so

Here is some more information on this and tyres from the same line of different sizes.

Assuming you can get steel wheels that clear the brakes....

If 18s are the smallest that clear the calipers, the 1700 from them is very very fair... I ran a comparison with clearance alloys in the right bolt pattern with TPMS, and some xIce 3 tires and shipping and it came to over 1600 plus installation and minus the aero covers and attendant benefits.

Assuming you can get steel wheels that clear the brakes....

If 18s are the smallest that clear the calipers, the 1700 from them is very very fair... I ran a comparison with clearance alloys in the right bolt pattern with TPMS, and some xIce 3 tires and shipping and it came to over 1600 plus installation and minus the aero covers and attendant benefits.
I need some education here regarding clearance ...

Is it correct to say that a caliper requires both wheel diameter and sectional width minimums,
And the wheel + tyre has to fit within the space cut out for it in the car body ?

Any other size minimums to consider ?

As for prices ..
I was thinking of steel wheels, not alloys;
And tyres are on sale a couple times a year with ~ $30 a tyre off

You are right though. $200 for a good winter tyre or a good alloy wheel with included installation etc is a good price in general.

This website shows the following for the Model 3. Any errors or omissions ?
I'd appreciate an explanation of wheel offset

View attachment 270988
Wheel offset is +40. which is pretty low considering its a factory wheel. Most of the time (at least the wheels I'm use to dealing with) have an offset of 50-55 for most manufacturer wheels.

As long as you can find steelies in 18" possibly in 7.5-8inch widths so you can run 225's instead of the 235's (always better to get narrower tires for winter) with an offset of at least 38-40 positive offset, you shouldn't have an issue.

If I were doing this, I would turn the current wheels I would get with the 3 (which are the aero wheels) into my winter wheels. I'd try to find a lighter wheel for summer duty. Also, if you see the wheel sizes of the actual owners manual to the 3, you'll also see there's a setup for staggered wheels. Of course they post it in the 19inch size. But there shouldn't be an issue to run the same staggered size in 18" size.

I'll take a look at the manual again and see what the staggered size is they'll like to run again..

53821037-D805-4005-BC51-0888018C97E8.jpeg
AD2859AD-503C-4B68-BA12-8871A76463B3.jpeg
you're stretching 225's a bit with a 8.5 inch wide wheel. Even on an 8 inch its still a bit stretched. Ideally you would want an 18x7.5 so you can run 225's comfortably.

Keep in mind, this comes directly from the manufacturer. So all they're doing is putting winter tires on the current 18" aero wheels. Saves them time and resources trying to make something fancy.
225 snow tires don’t stretch on 8.5” wheel.

235/45/18 Pirelli WS Ser. 2 fits 8-9.5”
225/45/18 Pirelli WS Ser. 2 fits 7-8.5”

Here are my 225/45/18 Michelin X-Ice
No stretch.

Correction 225/50/18 will stretch beyond specs.

• Disagree
Reactions: Mikeysb
Compared to what?

I had Toyo GRX's (I think that's what they were called) before. Those were a disaster. Way too squishy for the Miata application. I couldn't imagine that tire on a heavy sedan. It was a mess on a lightweight sports car...

1st set of Sottozero's. Night and day difference when you pick up a proper performance tire. Cut through everything. Was so impressed, I went for another set.
Sadly, I got a puncture on 1 of the tires, and they weren't making the sottozero's anymore. So I had to resort to snowcontrol's from Pirelli for 2 of my tires. Not a good alternative. They don't hold up nowhere near as well as the sottozero's.
I'm very happy to see them introduce series 2 of the sottozero's. When I go through this set of winter tires, I'll probably pick up those ones if not their successors.
I usually get 2-3 seasons out of tires. I'm on the 2nd season for my current set.