Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla open up the SuC network [in UK]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here they are retrofitting the V3 (which have liquid cooled cables), so that may play a part also. The Magic Dock solution will just be less expensive and more universal.

I agree if they were to switch to CCS1 here in the USA, it would make more sense to have two cables, as it's a nonstarter to require older Tesla owners to use the app to start a session. But with the announcement of the NACS standard, I think it pretty clear Tesla has no plans to do so.
Yeah, it happened here due to standards from the EU, making all new cars use the CCS2 connector.

v2 SuperChargers got fitted with 2 cables, but for v3 they are CCS2 only. Older S and X can get a modification and an adapter to support CCS2, but all the new cars are CCS2 native.

Even prior to this we used a different connector for AC charging that isn't Tesla specific.

Any idea where? All I can find is some stuff in the states.
Mentioned quickly during the Q&A if I remember it correctly (the stream was 4h long).

Also, apologies if that was discussed in the thread, but is Tesla capping the number of non-Teslas at a given SC currently?
I'm guessing at peak times, they should still prioritise Teslas (using for instance number of people who have it as a destination with their ETA), and keep certain stalls exclusive?

Mentioned quickly during the Q&A if I remember it correctly (the stream was 4h long).

Also, apologies if that was discussed in the thread, but is Tesla capping the number of non-Teslas at a given SC currently?
I'm guessing at peak times, they should still prioritise Teslas (using for instance number of people who have it as a destination with their ETA), and keep certain stalls exclusive?
For the stations they are retrofitting, they converted all stalls, so there is no sign they are doing any capping at a per station level. They are doing a controlled rollout though, as the stations they chose are not busy. From what I can tell, they are doing the same in UK: not converting all of stations at once, especially not the super congested stations.

The public plans announced by Biden suggests Tesla plans to convert around 10-20% (3500) of their stalls to Magic Dock by end of 2024 (plan to double network by then which would put them around 34000 stalls, given they currently have around 17000 in the USA).

No, but they are only opening SuperChargers where there isn't typically congestion.

These other cars are paying their fair dues, more than Tesla's as our car purchase contributed, no reason that they should have lower priority.

No they don't *have* to.
You have PAYG rates with no monthly subscription at around +10p/kWh vs normal rates, and then, with a £9.99/mth sub, access to the same kWh tariffs as a Tesla owner.
So I wouldn't say that a non-Tesla driver pays more than a Tesla owner...
They either pay Normal rate+10p/kWh
or Normal Rate + £10.99 per month.

Both of which are more than Tesla owners pay.

Reactions: Adopado
They either pay Normal rate+10p/kWh
or Normal Rate + £10.99 per month.

Both of which are more than Tesla owners pay.
Well, depends if you consider the 10 quid a month is already included in the higher price you paid for your Tesla initially vs, say, an MG, a Nissan, or any other car brand that made zero investment in the UK charging network for the past decade and is just dumping models now…

Well, depends if you consider the 10 quid a month is already included in the higher price you paid for your Tesla initially vs, say, an MG, a Nissan, or any other car brand that made zero investment in the UK charging network for the past decade and is just dumping models now…
To be fair many manufacturers charge a similar amount up front to join their in-house discounted charging schemes. So it’s all in the ballpark I guess

Another forum is showing that Tesla have allowed a third party app
Yeah I just read the same over at SpeakEV.

Looks like they're still using the Tesla app to initiate charging etc, but settling via their roaming platform...

Screenshot 2023-03-07 at 18.24.04.png

Another forum is showing that Tesla have allowed a third party app to integrate with their charging infrastructure. It looks Chargemap in France is the first to go live. We could see Superchargers in the UK appearing in third party apps soon.

Tesla joins Gireve's platform to open its Superchargers - Gireve
Tesla Superchargers x Chargemap Pass
My understanding is that there's a bit of marketing in this. You still need to create a Tesla account and use the Tesla app to charge.
The only thing that does is that you can use your Chargemap account for billing, rather than specifying a credit card, in order to get a centralised invoicing experience.
But no UX / app integration at all so far...

Edit: beaten to it by @Sean. :D

Also, they are mentioning that "During a limited period, the Chargemap Pass charging rate will be identical to Tesla's."
To me, that implies that they are planning to charge a higher rate in the future compared to Tesla... so not sure what the benefit is for the end user...

Reactions: Sean.