Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla open up the SuC network [in UK]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, rather than the seamless Supercharger experience that we go on about the non-Tesla people are are going to think that Tesla charging is as much of a pain as all the others.
Well you say that but if anyone using them does get into difficulties with the app they will have the legendary Tesla customer service to fall back on........
So probably worse than others
Took me 20 minutes to speak to someone on the "roadside emergency" option. I can only imagine how long the wait will be on the "non Tesla charging" option. Assuming there even is one.

Moderator comment - similar thread merged from "Superchargers now open to non-Teslas (in NL)"

We knew it was coming but nevertheless I'm a little surprised.

Screenshot 2021-11-01 at 15.45.37.png

I should explain that my surprise is that this happening in a country where the charging infastructure is pretty well developed albeit a tad expensive.
It will be interesting to learn how much they charge.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not.
People have been talking about it here:
All day

Another issue I see coming - and I’m not saying Tesla owners maybe any better than others - are people using charging stations as convenient parking spots.

I was at RHS Wisley earlier in the year, where they had 8 charging points. All 8 were taken by EVs but only 2 cars were actually plugged in and one of those wasn’t drawing power. None were Teslas as it happens. These were closest parking spots after the disabled spaces.

It’s bad enough for ICE cars to take places but EV owners should know better.

I foresee the situation, on motorway services type SuC locations, where other EV owners try to plug-in and, if the cables don’t work for their car, just parking up while they visit the services.

How do people give feedback on this pilot? Do they tweet elon pictures of Taycan's across 3 parking bays, Ioniq's taking up 2 slots, photos of the nav screen showing 6 free chargers but none free as filled up with ID3's etc? If not.. perhaps they should...

If you want EVs to actually succeed, and speed up adoption this is the best thing Tesla could do to help.

Given the current focus on climate change am not sure moaning about other EV owners is really warranted?

it looks like people are already getting it wrong Twitter... to me he is parked in the wrong bay.
Not got my M3 yet but judging from what I can see on images of the superchargers, would someone (non-Tesla) parking in the wrong bay not mean 2 chargers are then out of use? (for Teslas anyway), that seems a big oversight on Teslas part for me, surely they need to start labelling the parking spaces for the relevant chargers?

If you want EVs to actually succeed, and speed up adoption this is the best thing Tesla could do to help.

Given the current focus on climate change am not sure moaning about other EV owners is really warranted?
Technically. I agree with you. However, to my mind, incorrect parking at a supercharger such that you are blocking another is exactly the same as say using 2 spaces at an instavolt, parking without charging or even ICE'ing. They all have the same result, one or more cars unable to charge and another excuse for not people using an EV in the first place.

Not got my M3 yet but judging from what I can see on images of the superchargers, would someone (non-Tesla) parking in the wrong bay not mean 2 chargers are then out of use? (for Teslas anyway), that seems a big oversight on Teslas part for me, surely they need to start labelling the parking spaces for the relevant chargers?
It worked fine for Tesla owners given there's really only one way to plug in. With CCS, the socket can be anywhere and you can see people parking in all sorts of ways to get cable to reach (it may even be necessary to park in the "wrong" spot to get it to work). It was one of the major problems pointed out in this plan, given Tesla made the supercharger cables just long enough to reach a Tesla port (while CCS chargers have longer cables to account for the fact the socket location is not standardized).

Last edited:
Reactions: DenkiJidousha
Technically. I agree with you. However, to my mind, incorrect parking at a supercharger such that you are blocking another is exactly the same as say using 2 spaces at an instavolt, parking without charging or even ICE'ing. They all have the same result, one or more cars unable to charge and another excuse for not people using an EV in the first place.
Problem is some cars won't be able to charge at all without doing this. Faced with not using the supercharger network, because they'd have to park sideways at all of them, or using it and pissing off some people.. I wonder what Taycan, e-Tron, etc owners are going to do......

If anything it's going to feel worse with Taycan drivers doing it, because it will appear to be "I can park my £100k+ car however I like" badge snobbery.