Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla open up the SuC network [in UK]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The irony is if you already paid for FSD the last thing you want to do is buy another Tesla just as progress is really starting to happen.

If Tesla allowed transfer of FSD I would seriously consider ordering another X, but instead Tesla are happy to keep on updating the hardware in my car. I think camera upgrades are now coming.

It makes zero sense for a traditional company to keep on updating an older car when they can try and sell you a new one. But Elon Musk made his money in software not hardware, and clearly he believes the software costs of FSD is more valuable to Tesla than profits made on selling new hardware.

Are you paying for those hardware updates or are Tesla doing them for "free"?

If you're not paying now, then that would explain the high price of FSD and also why you don't get to transfer it.

It makes zero sense for a traditional company to keep on updating an older car when they can try and sell you a new one. But Elon Musk made his money in software not hardware, and clearly he believes the software costs of FSD is more valuable to Tesla than profits made on selling new hardware.
Traditional companies struggle to get people to throw money at them for a feature that is never going to work in the lifetime of any Tesla currently on the road in the UK. Seven Grand buys a lot of camera upgrades.

Traditional companies struggle to get people to throw money at them for a feature that is never going to work in the lifetime of any Tesla currently on the road in the UK. Seven Grand buys a lot of camera upgrades.
This is getting really off topic, but isn't the marginal costs £3,400 for FSD (given EAP is £3,400) and that includes the traffic light and stop sign control, so it's not like £6,800 goes to FSD Beta function. Here in US, it's the same deal, a nice chunk of the $10k is going toward existing functions, while only part of it goes toward possible FSD Beta access.

Can't find the FSD computer cost for UK, but infotainment upgrade appears to be £1,400 or £1,700 depending on your AP computer, so imagine that is the ballpark.
https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/support/infotainment

So the marginal cost of FSD would buy you about 2-3 computer upgrades and may not buy you camera upgrades (Tesla is doing some camera upgrades for AP 2 vehicles, but I don't believe they offer that for those without the FSD option).
Tesla Autopilot 2.0 owners need a camera upgrade before getting 'Full Self-Driving Beta'

Didn't Elon Musk sell his PayPal shares for around $100m? I think he's made a tad more on Tesla 'hardware'.

That said, I appreciate he's pushing the FSD software 'rental' now, so clearly a substantial potential future income stream.

Reactions: KennethS
This seems to imply that it may not be all sites. I wonder if they could prioritise based upon free capacity? That would keep Tesla owners happy but would also free up spare capacity for others to benefit from. Bit of a mare to manage though if planning a stop that is some distance away and the spare capacity changes and you can no longer charge a non Tesla EV.

1635767541478.png

This seems to imply that it may not be all sites. I wonder if they could prioritise based upon free capacity? That would keep Tesla owners happy but would also free up spare capacity for others to benefit from. Bit of a mare to manage though if planning a stop that is some distance away and the spare capacity changes and you can no longer charge a non Tesla EV.

View attachment 728015
They would have to write the code for this whether it is one charger or all of them. I have never subscribed to the view that they would open up all of them at once. Whether it will be a handful or many from day one I am less sure of.
Unless it is for a very limited range of cars there will have to be cable changes or it will be chaos

that was exactly my thought reading the code... looks promising from a Tesla owner perspective....but if it is based on capacity rather than fully blacklisted sites, then would be difficult for non Tesla cars to implement supercharger availability into their Sat Navs... as such they would likely turn up and block sites trying to charge anyhow...

I googled some of those locations in Holland. most are too new to be on Street view.
I did come across this one though. Maybe the opened up ones will be this style. It would be easier to get other makes to fit just by pulling the car forward or back without having to change the cable. Of course it would still be easy for people to park on the wrong side and Tesla is still building most new ones with the tombstones at the back as far as I can tell

1635772733884.png