Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla open up the SuC network [in UK]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I googled some of those locations in Holland. most are too new to be on Street view.
I did come across this one though. Maybe the opened up ones will be this style. It would be easier to get other makes to fit just by pulling the car forward or back without having to change the cable. Of course it would still be easy for people to park on the wrong side and Tesla is still building most new ones with the tombstones at the back as far as I can tell

View attachment 728031
So if a non-T with the charge point on the "wrong side" eg an ID3 pulls into a lane and uses right hand charger that puts 2 lanes out of use!

Reactions: Jason71
Can we start arranging for them to be blocked in if that happens! :)
Idle fees IF occupancy above a certain % (double it if nearly full). If a Supercharger site is near empty, no effect on other (Tesla) drivers. As a site fills up, alert on the app, non-Tesla either decides to go or sucks up the fees. By that time, probably enough electricity charge to decide to go.

Edit: will need some cameras/software - many sites could do with better CCTV for assurance anyway (but I don't often check or even Supercharge in this country - I did it a week ago, last time 2 years ago!)

If you want EVs to actually succeed, and speed up adoption this is the best thing Tesla could do to help.

Given the current focus on climate change am not sure moaning about other EV owners is really warranted?
Whether you are in favour or not. Opening them up with a design that means they wont work fo rmany cars without parking in a way that will cause conflict with other users is just dumb and just adding a note to the instructions saying please don't does not absolve them of responsibility. Everyone saw this coming. Tesla should have done better

Problem is some cars won't be able to charge at all without doing this. Faced with not using the supercharger network, because they'd have to park sideways at all of them, or using it and pissing off some people.. I wonder what Taycan, e-Tron, etc owners are going to do......

If anything it's going to feel worse with Taycan drivers doing it, because it will appear to be "I can park my £100k+ car however I like" badge snobbery.
as both an owner and investor I have mixed feelings on this... I don't need to rely on superchargers a lot personally, but I won't lie that the safety net they present was part of the decision to buy a Tesla in the first place.

If the rollout increases, the sensible thing to do would only to allow the vehicles that can fit to charge for now (assuming they are able to restrict by vehicle model), and then as they expand/improve the network - change the tombstone/cable layout to accommodate others.

Whether you are in favour or not. Opening them up with a design that means they wont work fo rmany cars without parking in a way that will cause conflict with other users is just dumb and just adding a note to the instructions saying please don't does not absolve them of responsibility. Everyone saw this coming. Tesla should have done better
So much this..

I wonder if it's bluff on Tesla's part.. Look we tried to open up our network and it was a disaster. Sorry mr EU you'll have to wait for us to change everything or pass a regulation that says the charge point has to be where ours is ;)

On the other hand it could be a simple case of corporate hubris. Enough people buy our cars anyway, so what if some are pissed off some of the time..

Reactions: speedyranger74
A crude fix to the “wrong side” problem would be to setup some proportion of the stalls to be for cars with the port on the right and the rest for those on the left (like Tesla). There would be an empty bay in the middle, but assuming there was an empty space to the right, this would not stop all the stalls being used.

A crude fix to the “wrong side” problem would be to setup some proportion of the stalls to be for cars with the port on the right and the rest for those on the left (like Tesla). There would be an empty bay in the middle, but assuming there was an empty space to the right, this would not stop all the stalls being used.
Even if you had a tesla only stall that glowed red and sang "Elon is a very clever man" whenever a car came past someone would try and use it.

So much this..

I wonder if it's bluff on Tesla's part.. Look we tried to open up our network and it was a disaster. Sorry mr EU you'll have to wait for us to change everything or pass a regulation that says the charge point has to be where ours is ;)

On the other hand it could be a simple case of corporate hubris. Enough people buy our cars anyway, so what if some are pissed off some of the time..
it could be an excellent way of pushing for universal charge port locations!

or instead of all stalls next to each other, there should be a full sized space between each one, that way an ID3 etc wouldn't be blocking another stall

So much this..

It's hardly bluff on Tesla's part. It's bang in line with its stated mission, which is to drive adoption of EVs not Teslas only. A healthy charging network with loads of superchargers is good for everyone. Of course there'll be bumps along the way, but it's hard to see a great future for Tesla superchargers unless they open up to the wider community. Why should a service area give up lots of space to an exclusive charging network? The world has moved on since the early days of Tesla.

Agreed. How hard would it have been for them to create a spreadsheet on their Pilot help page which gave clear indications of vehicle compatibility? There's a bunch of cars that simply won't be able to charge without parking sideways, taking up 3 spaces.

Agreed. How hard would it have been for them to create a spreadsheet on their Pilot help page which gave clear indications of vehicle compatibility? There's a bunch of cars that simply won't be able to charge without parking sideways, taking up 3 spaces.
I would hope that the majority of people would see sense if they had to take up 3 spaces, but I suppose this kind of thing has been seen before…

Tesla will just need to start making the charge cables longer, this isn't an unsurmountable issue. Seems like only a proportion of sites will be opened for non-tesla's, so I can see it being a bit like the CCS rollout with a few bays converted first.

It does seem ridiculous that UNECE regs are in tiny detail about self driving, but don't have anything on charge port location.

It's hardly bluff on Tesla's part. It's bang in line with its stated mission, which is to drive adoption of EVs not Teslas only. A healthy charging network with loads of superchargers is good for everyone. Of course there'll be bumps along the way, but it's hard to see a great future for Tesla superchargers unless they open up to the wider community. Why should a service area give up lots of space to an exclusive charging network? The world has moved on since the early days of Tesla.
Maybe. But then I still have the issue that it in effect reduces charger capacity and therefore hinders the adoption of EV's unless all cars have the charge point in an accessible to all chargers location.

To me it just feels like a minimum viable product rush job

If rolling it out across the board they would surely just fit longer cables ...
The problem is the current (short) cables fit neatly in the U opening (see below). Longer cables would hang outside the frame and would be more likely to be left on the ground. The best solution IMHO would be to retro-fit CCS sockets then non-Teslas could charge using their own cable.

supercharger.jpg

It seems to me that Tesla will gain a lot of valuable information about the use of non Tesla EVs and the owners.
EV charging is still relatively primitive.
I would like Tesla to have a camera on every charging station and fine non Tesla users for inappropriate behaviour.