Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla open up the SuC network [in UK]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I rarely use a SC, but ironically I want them to be widely distributed, fast and available to me at all times! Clearly Tesla, like any charging network want maximum occupancy in order to cover investment costs and generate profits. Opening the network up makes a lot of sense if currently there is occupancy/under-utilisation.

What I think it’s fair to concerned about is that this logical move may be bungled in its implementation. I think there are legitimate concerns about chaos at the SCs in the form of non-Tesla owners blocking bays (never underestimate the ingenuity of idiots), wasting time messing around with authorisation/payment etc, slow charging from some models, and general congestion at busy times. It’s got the potential to be a complete shambles, and really sour the Tesla experience.

Obviously there are mitigating measures to prevent chaos eg only opening up some SCs, reserving bays for Tesla, barring peak times etc, but again allowing for the ingenuity of idiots, the more complex the rules, the more likely you are to get a bay blocked by someone unable to understand the rules.

Also, presumably Tesla have modelled-in the massive number of new Teslas that they are putting on the roads?

It may work, but it could be a complete nightmare.

I would buy a share and be happy when you see a MG parked across three bays (otherwise you'll be raging)- then you'll see it as a cost of doing business rather than being annoyed when we are all delayed. As a Tesla shareholder, I welcome the news
  • New revenue stream across 100% of the EV market
  • Off brand EV's are increasing 'touch points' with the Tesla brand.
  • They get Tesla experience (Cementing Tesla as no. 1 EV brand.)
  • Real word comparison of charging rates when a car parked next to you.
  • Screen / tech envy
  • Raising the bar to new entrants in the EV charging network space - their market share is now tiny.
Don't get mad, get even 💰

Reactions: cryo
For me this was one of the biggest plus point of a tesla, I dont use SC all the time, but i have never had an issue, they always work and I dont think i have ever had to wait. If they become more open, my fear is that they will be taken up by plug in hybrids or slow charging cars.

My lease for my model 3 ends at the end of next year. I was strongly looking at sticking with a tesla despite some of its issues and is increase in price. The Super charging network is (for me) a real big selling point. If it now becomes open to all EV, It puts things like the Polestar or the Merc into the fight (Assuming they offering single pedal driving, which baffles me that VW group cars do not)

Reactions: Wol747
For me this was one of the biggest plus point of a tesla, I dont use SC all the time, but i have never had an issue, they always work and I dont think i have ever had to wait. If they become more open, my fear is that they will be taken up by plug in hybrids or slow charging cars.

My lease for my model 3 ends at the end of next year. I was strongly looking at sticking with a tesla despite some of its issues and is increase in price. The Super charging network is (for me) a real big selling point. If it now becomes open to all EV, It puts things like the Polestar or the Merc into the fight (Assuming they offering single pedal driving, which baffles me that VW group cars do not)
can plug in hybrids DC fast charge? I did not realise

You say "ignorant" but given where the charge port is if we are talking the Ionic 5 how else would they do it?
top-gun-inverted.gif

I understand this concern - see my earlier rant - but the more I drive about I am sure the greatest threat to the Supercharger experience we've had hitherto is the massive number of new Teslas on the road.

I think this is just going to be a case of 'let's see what happens'. I was on the Supercharger team call with Tesla the other month and their reasoning and logic seemed sound. It's not a case of throwing everything open at once, it's a case of analysing the data and making informed decisions. That's not to say i won't be frustrated the first time i see dodgy parking or have to wait but if it gets more people into the EV game then i don't object.

I'm curious though... we have two electric cars and my father has one. Only mine is Tesla. Surely if they were logged into my Tesla account they could bypass the £10.99 monthly fee and enjoy the Tesla owners rate? I can't see how the supercharger would know. Am i wrong.?
The supercharger would know because there is a handshaking protocol which exchanges the VIN, amongst other info.

This is how an SC can bill your car without you ever opening an app or tapping a card.

The other scenario that will occur that has not been discussed is that if a charger is half full or more with teslas parked in every other stall as they tend to do by habit even if its not a V2. when an ID3 rocks up and finds that there are no free chargers with with an empty bay to the right which is what he would need what he will do is pull into an empty bay to wait for the Tesla on the left to finish so will block 2 stalls while charging but will also block one while waiting.

Think this wont happen? what else can he do? Wait for two adjacent bays to be empty before driving in which may never happen.
And before you judge if the site was half full of ID3 and you arrived you would do exactly the same in your Tesla...

Of course what you can do in that circumstance if you need that blocked bay to charge is ask him to move with a promise to give back the bay when the charger on the left that he needs becomes available. What could possibly go wrong.....

So you're okay with them taking up two chargers then? You'd be quite happy to wait whilst there is a perfectly serviceable supercharger that you can't access because a car is in its designated parking space.
If they other cars fit, fair enough. If they don't fit, tough.
As per the other countries that already opened up, this is generally a non issue.

1. If the SuperCharger is quiet, who cares?
2. If the SuperCharger is busy they are never going to be able to get a space with 2 bays next to each other, and they will realise it's not going to work for them.

The only time a Tesla might be inconvenienced is if it get's busy after they have started charging.

What other countries see is that it's only cars like the Polestar, e208 etc with the charge port in the right position that make regular use of SuperChargers.

I noticed a thread on Twitter claiming the Tesla Chargers are now breaching the UK Public Charger rules by requiring both an App to control things and a pre-registered account & payment mechanism. Allegedly since they've opened some of them to the public they now have 12 months to comply with the no App required rule and to install a local card payment facility.

Since no Tesla charger has a screen or payment facility they'll need complete replacement to provide that.

Might be simpler for Tesla to terminate the trial within the next 11 months and revert to "owners/members only" unless they can wriggle out ot it.
It's a UK policy proposal, not a rule or law, as far as I understand.

With the requirement applying from the point of regulations coming into force for new chargepoints; 12 months to retrofit existing.

We need a thread to compile evidence of inappropriate Supercharger use i.e people blocking stalls etc. Some Superchargers are now open to all EVs and there is a fear that problems will occur. If this turns out to be the case then put a photo on here, with registration blurred.
Blame on the lack of unified charge port location design.

If Tesla is aware of the above factor, maybe a long enough cable could accommodate all brands of cars.