Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla open up the SuC network [in UK]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interested to see cars parked sideways etc to get the short cable to work somehow. This is a dreadful move by Tesla. Laughing at all the posts saying this is great, more investment blah blah. It’s all into Tesla’s pocket ffs. You won’t be thinking it’s great next time you’re waiting over an hour while non Tesla’s charge.
I still don't get if there is a quota of non-Tesla / dedicated stalls or if it's gonna be a free-for-all mayhem on major holidays

I realise that common sense is not common, but as any non-tesla EV owner will know, you need an app or a card to charge at any charger (the card can be a contactless card or a brand specific card). As the Tesla app will not show them any location that they can use that should eliminate some muppets. Those that expect to have a brand specific card wont get one as one does not exist, that only leaves those looking for where to tap their contactless card on the Tesla SC!

I would be surprised if there are too many muppets trying their luck, presumably because charger anxiety is already a "thing" for them they will work out what is required before setting off? Of course there are always some, they walk amongst us daily.

I am surprised that they have not restricted it to cars that have the CCS port in the "right" place, but we presume they know their own business and have seen the effects in Holland, France and Norway etc and reckon it will be OK.

I think this is just going to be a case of 'let's see what happens'. I was on the Supercharger team call with Tesla the other month and their reasoning and logic seemed sound. It's not a case of throwing everything open at once, it's a case of analysing the data and making informed decisions. That's not to say i won't be frustrated the first time i see dodgy parking or have to wait but if it gets more people into the EV game then i don't object.

I'm curious though... we have two electric cars and my father has one. Only mine is Tesla. Surely if they were logged into my Tesla account they could bypass the £10.99 monthly fee and enjoy the Tesla owners rate? I can't see how the supercharger would know. Am i wrong.?

You are wrong. Only the Tesla gets the Tesla rate for free all other vehicles pay a premium or a subscription.

Tesla is an american company, therefore they are used to the inscription on the US dollar bill:
"In god we trust, all others pay cash"

One thing Audi did beautifully with their e-tron is a CCS charge port on both sides. So convenient.. Wish Tesla had copied them for the refreshed line up, can't be that expensive...
It doesn't - they have ccs on one side and type 2 on the other so no better for rapid/supercharging than any other - in fact it's a stupid position for anything other than side-on charging.

Reactions: Cardo
You are wrong. Only the Tesla gets the Tesla rate for free all other vehicles pay a premium or a subscription.

Tesla is an american company, therefore they are used to the inscription on the US dollar bill:
"In god we trust, all others pay cash"
Indeed! So the supercharger would know you're not plugging in a Tesla even if its on an account that has a Tesla attached to it? Makes sense i suppose, the Superchargers are smart enough to 'speak' to the car to identify it so i suppose it would naturally know its not a Tesla

Already pictures of ignorant Ioniq cars plugged into the wrong charger for the space they're parked in because their charge port is on the wrong side.
Stupidity.

you mean pictures of ioniqs plugged in the only way they can, which Tesla is aware of and allowing by opening up to other makes? Not many cars have teh port in the same location as the Tesla, and even if on the same side it might not reach as the cable is ‘just’ long enough if you park right the way back.

Tesla opening up says you’re allowed to use it. That isn’t the Ioniq’s fault. Tesla will monitor and eventually update sites with longer cables or other rearranging to reduce this issue.