Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla open up the SuC network [in UK]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In their defence the other brand chargers have pay methods on the units whereas Tesla doesn’t. I suppose it’s an easy mistake to think you can rock up and just tap a CC. I’m going to make a note of the ones I use on my 500 mile journey to check if they’re open to non brands.

Off topic. Newquay/Cornwall needs some SUC love! Luckily, a Hotel in Newquay had three Tesla WC. 2x 7.5kW and 11.5kW. For non guests £10.
yeah, cornwall in general is a bit desert SUC wise, but hayle/st ives and other places have few destination chargers and few non-tesla...

In their defence the other brand chargers have pay methods on the units whereas Tesla doesn’t. I suppose it’s an easy mistake to think you can rock up and just tap a CC. I’m going to make a note of the ones I use on my 500 mile journey to check if they’re open to non brands.

Off topic. Newquay/Cornwall needs some SUC love! Luckily, a Hotel in Newquay had three Tesla WC. 2x 7.5kW and 11.5kW. For non guests £10.
Heaven knows what the thought process is. Perhaps they’ve seen a headline and took a wild punt that the whole network is now available with a CC.
yeah, cornwall in general is a bit desert SUC wise, but hayle/st ives and other places have few destination chargers and few non-tesla...
Suffolk is also relatively speaking SuC-barren. Not like there’s isn’t grid or generation capacity either. Fair few T’s around too.

What's with Manchester being part of CPS

1654558974677.png

Spent a week near Penzance in Cornwall last week and drove from Bath. Stopped off at Darts Farm on both directions as was worried Lifton would be way too busy. Also Darts Farm had more things on and seemed a nicer stop despite it being a bit off the beaten track. Camborne is further down the road if I needed it but fortunately the Airbnb (converted barn) we stayed at had a Zappi charger recently installed. I was the first person to use it as the owner doesn't own an EV and worked a charm.

@Rirawin Its a Brucie bonus when there’s a charger at your destination! Best Western in Newquay had three Tesla WC and it was a 30 second walk from where I was staying. It was weird that it made me happy but super useful for charging up for the return home. I stopped at Amesbury on the way back. It’s not as nice as Darts Farm.

Reactions: init6
As demonstrated at Warwick services earlier this week. By the time I took the photo one of the white Model 3 had left, but originally the single MSM stood out as the black sheep of the family!
You can walk along certain streets in London and it’s quite literally one model 3 after the other. White seems the colour du jour, closely followed by black.

Reactions: Neilio
@Rirawin Its a Brucie bonus when there’s a charger at your destination! Best Western in Newquay had three Tesla WC and it was a 30 second walk from where I was staying. It was weird that it made me happy but super useful for charging up for the return home. I stopped at Amesbury on the way back. It’s not as nice as Darts Farm.
Indeed it is! When it comes to Airbnbs, I actively look/prioritise ones that have EV charging - it's even a filter now within the Airbnb app. When I was originally searching 6 months ago I was pleasantly surprised there were quite a few Airbnbs around Cornwall that had EV charging. No doubt that number will increase overtime.

Yes and it is always pretty busy, so may be better to use Exeter one or the farm one near Exeter or are they both the same?
The current "exeter" supercharger is at Darts Farm - TBH nicer than a service station. Basically it's a premium price farm shop. It's not far off the motorway, but is more faf to get to than the services. They have 8 SCv2, 4 SCv4, so reasonable amounts of capacity.
According to the map, there is also going to be an Exeter Motorway Service Station SC opening in Q3 - right now it's 17 Gridserve units at Exeter services, but those can get full at times, particularly Bank Hols.
In generally I'd probably take the petrol car for a UK bank holiday if i knew i was beyond range... Likely that'll only get worse until we see further investment in public rapids

Indeed it is! When it comes to Airbnbs, I actively look/prioritise ones that have EV charging - it's even a filter now within the Airbnb app. When I was originally searching 6 months ago I was pleasantly surprised there were quite a few Airbnbs around Cornwall that had EV charging. No doubt that number will increase overtime.

I actively look for charging, although you normally need to email to ask what "EV charger" actually means. Mostly means 7kw, but I've seem some 3.5 and some "you can use a granny charger" options, which to be fair will keep you reasonably well topped up for general day-to-day pottering.
I've had some locations where you park too far away to use a granny, some where it trips out the RCD (Generally indicating their wiring is less than ideal), and one refusal because they don't want to put up their direct debit (?!?).
Pays to apply some common sense when using a granny, eg stick to overnight / don't try and run it at the same time as an electric shower / electric cooker