Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla open up the SuC network [in UK]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess this guy didn’t get the memo that not all sites were open to all 😅

FEEB55FB-8482-4074-A57C-21E06D905896.jpeg

As it’s a hire van, my guess is they have no clue what they’re doing and have either been told or heard SuCs are now open to all, without being aware of the specifics.

They were likely disappointed when they returned to the van.
Yep a definite possibility. There was a bloke standing nearby on his phone. I asked him if it was his van. He denied it. I reckon it was but hey ho.

There was a pop up event, quite literally, a black double decker bus with a pop up roof and DJ in the other part of the car park in front of the hotel doing quite loud sound checks when I left. Could have been part of the crew for this.

The new Dorking Supercharger is now showing as open to non-tesla, bringing the UK total to 21 (at time of writing Carmarthen is no longer flagged as open to all on Tesla's website map and the Birmingham marker is missing altogether but both are still available for non-Tesla on the app).

1681896177202.png

Reactions: Sean.
Out of interest, has anyone been to an open SC and had to queue behind non Teslas yet?
I think if it was happening even semi regularly it would have been posted here and probably as a full page article in the Daily Mail though after the first couple of paragraphs it would have segwayed to battery fires and Autopilot crashes for some reason.

Reactions: Lord Farquad
Damn minis!

I think SC layout is key to open chargers. They need to plan all future locations much better to ensure they’re future proof.
V4 with longer cables are coming to the UK...

They also seem to now favour the "side-by-side" rather than "end of stall" tombstone layout for sites.

It all helps.

Reactions: Lord Farquad
It's interesting to look at what's happening in France where more than 60 sites (probably more than two thirds of stalls) are open to all. I follow the French forums and you never hear of issues. What I have read is that many Tesla drivers are stopping at motorway services, where hundreds of new non-Tesla high-speed hubs have been installed in the last 18 months, instead of at superchargers. Obviously, they are more convenient. Tesla either hasn't won tenders for installations at these sites or didn't tender because it had no chance of winning with its V2 and V3 set-up. We're lagging the French but it is a sign of the competition that's to come on the UK motorway network. Tesla probably needs its V4 superchargers and to demonstrate it is open in order to secure these top sites in the UK.