Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla open up the SuC network [in UK]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Presumably at Adderstone SC? I was there on Wednesday afternoon and there was a BMW in Bay 1 using the lead for Bay 2 because of the plug location. A dark coloured Tesla came in and I suggested he back up to Bay 1 from the far side to access the plug which he did. It is very handy having access to both sides at this location, I had previously suggested it to a VW driver who could not access the plug from the one remaining slot because of their charge port location.

When I came back to Adderstone again on Thurs night, the HGV's were parked up for the night on the far side - so that option won't work at night!
Yup Adderstone. What you describe with the BMW is exactly why two bays were free but could not be accessed by Teslas even though you could park up. They need to make charging cables the length of petrol pump hoses if they want to enable vehicles to charge from either side in any parking space. It's a mess.

You're right that at night it becomes nigh impossible to do this because of HGV parking. I was there two nights in a row but thankfully no other non-Teslas were around.

Reactions: Overworked
The UK total is now up to 30: three more existing Scottish superchargers have just been opened up to non-Teslas (I noticed a post about this on a non-Tesla forum). Eurocentral (12 x V2), Fort William (6 x V3) and Inverness (6 x V2) are showing on the app and Tesla's Find Us map:

View attachment 983466
Newmarket is available on the app, becoming the 31st UK site open to non-Teslas.
I expect Luton will appear on the app soon too since it has V4 stalls (it went live yesterday). At time of writing, Luton has a Tesla only supercharger pin on Tesla's Find Us map. Newmarket doesn't yet have a marker.

2023-12-13 Newmarket Non-Tesla.png

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Newmarket is available on the app, becoming the 31st UK site open to non-Teslas.
I expect Luton will appear on the app soon too since it has V4 stalls (it went live yesterday). At time of writing, Luton has a Tesla only supercharger pin on Tesla's Find Us map. Newmarket doesn't yet have a marker.

View attachment 998956

nice .. that's actually closer to my house than Trumpington

It will be interesting to see what happens with Luton. Instavolt have just opened 6 nearby as well on the same day.

Unless you have a deal with a third party charging provider, the Tesla chargers are going to be cheaper than Instavolt for most non-Tesla’s.

• Informative
Reactions: UkNorthampton
It will be interesting to see what happens with Luton. Instavolt have just opened 6 nearby as well on the same day.

Unless you have a deal with a third party charging provider, the Tesla chargers are going to be cheaper than Instavolt for most non-Tesla’s.
You wonder sometimes if people know? I was at the superchargers in Banbury charging a non Tesla recently. They are litterally 5 metres from some Ospreys but other than me all the cars at the supercharger were Tesla's and there were several cars at the Ospreys which would have been at least 50% more expensive and I wondered if the people at the Ospreys had deals, couldn't be bothered setting up a Tesla account or just did not know they could use them or how much cheaper they were.

• Informative
Reactions: UkNorthampton
You wonder sometimes if people know? I was at the superchargers in Banbury charging a non Tesla recently. They are litterally 5 metres from some Ospreys but other than me all the cars at the supercharger were Tesla's and there were several cars at the Ospreys which would have been at least 50% more expensive and I wondered if the people at the Ospreys had deals, couldn't be bothered setting up a Tesla account or just did not know they could use them or how much cheaper they were.
Its certainly cheaper for me to charge my Y on Osprey rather than Tesla SC as have lots of Bonnet referral/reward credit. So always use the Banbury Osprey rather that the adjacent Tesla SC.

• Informative
Reactions: Jason71

View attachment 998956
Luton is now on the app and Tesla's Find Us map. I forgot to add Heartlands, and with the addition of Lifton (not yet showing on the Find Us map at time of writing) the UK total is now 34.
2023-12-15 FindUs Open To Non-Tesla.png

As the list of superchargers available to non Tesla owners grows around the world I appreciate that Tesla will generate more money, not only from additional superchargers being in use for more of the time but its a big positive for those considering an EV because its a complete package that others don't have, - but its like an instant gratification satisfied, whilst in the long term this is going to cost them dearly as loyalty to the marque will be damaged especially if Tesla owners are queuing to charge whilst Non Tesla's are on the chargers.

From my personal perspective my 2020 Model 3 is a brilliant car with some rather crap autopilot software that Tesla/Electric Jesus has no intention of fixing for anywhere outside of the USA.
As the model has developed over the years, the removal of features and equipment has gone a few steps too far for me to be interested in buying another Tesla even though the Highland does look visually a big improvement - and all reviews so far seem to indicate it drives better and quieter too.

My car has been fault free, but I don't rack up the miles, just 9600 so far and its absolutely pristine - so potentially this car will last me for many years to come.

I do have a plan in my head though. Most of my journeys its just me in the car, therefore I don't need a car model 3 size, and perhaps the rumoured model 2 would suit me - IF I like what is offered when the time comes though I suspect even more features will be stripped out to achieve its market price.

As the superchargers open up to non Tesla and other manufacturers of EVs are producing cars that rival the Tesla in terms of affordability, desirability, build quality, - and in some cases are better equipped with a more traditional layout, just the fact the Tesla supercharger network will be available will undoubtedly tempt people away from Tesla and to be honest I'm one of them, so a non Tesla with the use of the superchargers in my mind is the best decision ever and opens up the greatest choice.

Reactions: Js1977 and Pants