Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla (or aftermarket) MS wheel will not fit M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

03DSG

Apr 5, 2016
Ontario
It turns out that Tesla has most likely changed the bolt pattern for the M3. The MS 19 inch wheels use a 5 x 120 bolt pattern. We now have an indication that the M3 will use a 5 x 114.3 bolt pattern.

TSportline has a M3 wheel guide:

The Tesla Model 3 Wheel and Tire Guide

Bolt Pattern

TSportline and Tesla sell MS wheels with a 5 x 120. This makes sense to me. As the M3 is much lighter than the MS the disc brakes and corresponding hubs don't need to be as large. Using a smaller bolt pattern may keep the design in scale. Both 5 x 120 and 5 x 114.3 are very common in the industry. I'm contacting TSportline to verify.

Just spoke to TSportline and they said the information they have from Tesla is the M3 bolt pattern is indeed 5 x 114.3. They will be confirming this later this month an a customer car. If true this locks out using ANY MS wheels on M3.

Just spoke to TSportline and they said the information they have from Tesla is the M3 bolt pattern is indeed 5 x 114.3. They will be confirming this later this month an a customer car. If true this locks out using ANY MS wheels on M3.
Not that I am advocating their use but adapters are out there to change 114.3 to 120 pattern. However they are probably too thick and wheel offset will be thrown way off.

Hellfire and damnation. I was hoping that a bunch of Bay Area resident swould buy with the Aeros and swap on some Model S wheels immediately after so I could pick up a cheap second set of Aeros with brand new tires. Hopefully enough people go aftermarket to still make this possible.

My thinking is that I'll unmount the rubber from the second set of Aeros, store the tires until I burn through my first set, put snow tires on the second set of Aeros and have my tire needs covered for as long as I'll probably have the car.

Reactions: MP3Mike
You would have to machine the back of the wheel hub the same thickness as the adapter plate. Not for me.
Yes, if you wanted to keep the same effective wheel offset. Looking at pictures of the 3 though, to me I think it would look slightly better with the wheels pushed out slightly and was contemplating spacers anyway. Offset could be compensated with whatever

Is 114.3 pretty common? I'm used to 112 for my Audi and I know BMW and Tesla use 120.