TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla OS 8 Update

Discussion in 'Hong Kong' started by AnubisDenko, Sep 23, 2016.

1. AnubisDenko

AnubisDenko Member

Anyone in HK already received the software update ?

Cheers
    Oliver

2. 808?

808? Member

Not yet, expect HK to the one of the last places to get the update, as usual.

Thank our lovely transport department for living in the stone age still.

3. jsiu

jsiu Member

#3 jsiu, Sep 23, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
    Under current transport legislation which is stone-aged, the approval is not automatic. Tesla HK should apply to TD for approval of 8.0. No doubt, TD is highly bureaucratic and red tape, the matter also depends on how Tesla HK diligently follow up with TD. TD is definitely to be blamed but Tesla HK's effort in pushing through should not be discounted.

TD is simply followed the current aged legislation. Hence, individual application for exemption such as 8.0 is therefore required. I don't want to say good words to TD but this is a matter of facts in legislation. Through various battles with TD in the past, I feel they did move a bit but at turtle speed (insane mode is not applied to TD).

To reiterate, Tesla HK's effort in pushing through all new version should not be discounted.

4. Lerxt

Lerxt Member

The legislation is not sufficient to cover this situation. The real reason is public service liability and the backwardness you get with non elected government that answers to no one.
    There is no reason why HK can't copy British law and practice and automatically adopt what is adopted in the U.K. in respect of motor vehicle law.

5. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

I'm not so certain about the legislative requirement for pre-approval.

Certainly, in the past, not every (if any) software update has required pre-approval. That was just the TD's knee-jerk reaction to the autopilot press stories.

The legislation allows for a type approval process, and so long as the modification (hardware or software) does not affect that type approval (ie; still meets regulations), I don't see anything in the legislation to require pre-approval.

Here is the legislation relevant to modification of a vehicle:

CAP 374 Road Traffic Ordinance s 53 Prohibition of sale, hire etc. of vehicles not complying with regulations

Here are the two guideline documents the government provides:

http://www.td.gov.hk/filemanager/en/content_1178/dondont.pdf
    http://www.td.gov.hk/filemanager/en/content_1178/alteration.pdf

As you can see, vehicle software is not mentioned at all. The only way that I can see that software would be involved is if it altered the performance of the vehicle, function of its safety systems (brakes, etc),, or modifies the vehicle in such a way as to violate an ordinance (e.g. adding a video player).

Interestingly, as a private individual I have asked Transport Department for pre-approval of a modification, and they refused - they said it is up to me to ensure the change complies with the legislation (which is absurd because no modern vehicle on the road today complies with the section 37 vehicle display unit legislation).

6. Captain_Kong

Captain_Kong Member

I think markwj is right.

Though I'm not a political commentator, but does HK's governance separated its legislative branch and executive branch?

No one elected TD and nor does this matters, just bureaucrats!

7. markwj

Mostly, yes.

P.S. Let's not go there...

8. Lerxt

Lerxt Member

It does matter. There is no one to answer for their portfolio responsibility to eject. They can be as hopeless as can be, without responsibility to whom they serve.

9. AnubisDenko

AnubisDenko Member

Any idea how long it took from v6 -> v7 ? Was it weeks or months until TD approved the software upgrade ?
    Although I can understand the reasoning behind it it does indeed seem a bit outdated behaviour.

10. markwj

v6 -> v7 was a mess because of the whole autopilot thing. Hopefully this should be simpler. I'm guessing less than a month.

11. AnubisDenko

AnubisDenko Member

Thanks for all the replies. Hopefully you are right and this is simpler.

12. mattse

mattse Member

Bureaucracy in HK: you gave them trouble, they will examine your application "more carefully" next time unless you gave them enough trouble to make them realize you aren't the one they can mess with

So, I don't see we having 8.0 anytime soon.....

13. FequalsMA

FequalsMA Member

it would be nice for once if we weren't the last or second last market in the world to receive these updates

14. donkeyrider

donkeyrider New Member

With the safety improvements in 8.0, especially with autopilot, you think the TD would be keen to approve it. But I guess their role is to follow the laws and regulations!

15. FequalsMA

FequalsMA Member

people fear what they do not understand
    if the status quo has been good enough (and has been lining their well enough pockets so far) then why change?

example can be found easily with the tourist-centric focus of the local retail industry.

16. mattse

mattse Member

I bet we won't be the last, Taiwan should be behind us...

17. samleemc

samleemc Member

Any one checked with Tesla recently?

18. lx3h

lx3h Charged.hk TSLA Grp Rep

The usual, when we get v8,0, you'll get it. It's not up to Tesla to know when TD will be done testing

• Informative x 1
  19. Lerxt

Lerxt Member

Does anyone at the TD actually have a drivers license?

• Funny x 1
  20. smtung

smtung Member

bureaucrat at TD must have hated Tesla so much as OTA updates add so much to its workloads.