Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Overall Service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RachH

"Christine" Model 3 Blk Obsidian, LR, AWD
Jun 28, 2018
Denton, TX
I have read various complaints on this forum but I was not going to add to it. This is the first time I have publicly written about any of my issues I have had along the way. I really love my car so I was determined to stay positive and hope for the best.

I have now reached a tipping point and felt it was important to post some of my issues- hoping it will help others somehow. Case in point, make sure you cover your back on referral codes, credits to be applied and vehicle transfers as well as anything else that you just 'expect' to be taken care of (that a normal company would do). I have found that Tesla doesn't always do the basics and they definitely are not 'normal'.

I'm writing briefly about all of the issues just so it's all in one place. The first part, in my opinion, is growing pains of the company with the launch of the 3, so you can skip it if you know it.

I was a day 1 reservation holder but it took till November 2018 for me to get my car. For those of you who were day 1, I know you are shocked.

I called and talked to various reps to find out what was going on since everyone I knew from day 1 had already gotten their car and I still hadn't even gotten the opportunity to do the specifications. They all seemed just as shocked. And each time I was promised they (or someone else) would call me back. No one did.

Then I finally got the email that asked me to do my specifications and 'officially' order my car. And then it took even longer. And longer.

I was to the point of just canceling the whole thing and then I finally got word my car was ready.

Then after getting my car, and even though my rep said my referral code was attached to my account for free supercharging before I picked up the car, I was still charged for it.

I was extremely irritated at this point because of the various issues but luckily I got a really great manager to help me and he had my back- as much as he could. He made sure the free supercharging was added asked that all my charges be refunded. Then they laid him off. Ugh.

It had been frustrating but I was just happy to finally get my car and I thought everything was finally resolved so I didn't complain anywhere about it. I just blew it off and figured it was growing pains. I just wanted to enjoy my car. Which I have. I have even written a few very positive stories on this forum because I love it so much. But then....there was more....

In January I realized that my back light had a weird fogged up defective thing going on. Tesla said no problem, mine was not the only one, and they would replace it free of charge. It took almost 3 months to get the part and I had to keep canceling my appointment because the part wasn't there. But the car was drive able and the light was no biggie so I just let it go and decided to be patient.

Also in January, someone side-swiped me- only two months into having my car. Ugh. I went to a Tesla approved body shop (that I had used before with a different car and loved) back in January and they ordered the parts. Luckily my car is drive able but there were plenty of others in the shop that were not and had been sitting there for months.

Again, I decided to think positively and hope for the best since my car was not stranded in the shop. Sigh.

Then I saw what I thought were charges from Tesla from April 23rd. I didn't have my glasses on- my mistake- so didn't realize they weren't charges. I was really baffled since I had no charged anything and I was a bit annoyed. Turns out they were credits that were never credited from the supercharger/referral code debacle back in Nov/Dec. They had never fully credited my account as promised. I was annoyed but glad they at least credited back my account- even if it took 4 months.

When I got the car back in Nov 2018, I gave my SUV to my dad and used his car as a trade in. My dad got a renewal letter in the mail from the state for his tags- for the car that was traded in to Tesla 6 months before. Apparently Tesla never transferred the ownership. My dad contacted the service center we turned it into (and picked up my car) to find out what was wrong. No one seemed to know anything but they told him that he would receive a letter/phone call about it no later than two weeks. He didn't.

After emailing numerous times, trying to get someone on the phone and chatting with someone over the app, I was told that my dad would probably need to go to the DMV and fill out the paperwork again and send it in. My dad is 80 and has cancer (and lives out of state) and they were going to make him do all of that AGAIN after we already did it back in November?

That is when I lost it. Me dealing with all of this was one thing but knowing that my dads car was never transferred out of his name and if anything happened to the car my dad would be liable and/or at the very least have to deal with more crap because Tesla didn't do that one simple thing. I was PISSED.

I had been patient at first but when it hit around 3 1/2 months and still no word/parts from Tesla, combined with this title stuff, I started emailing and trying to reach someone on the phone to no avail. I finally got someone on chat and asked for a manager to call me ASAP or I was going to contact my attorney for breach of contract and/or the media. I was promised that one would call me in a few days and that he would try and help me get things resolved. This was on a Friday.

On the following Monday I finally got an answer to my email I had sent the first of May (weeks later) saying that he saw the chat guy Chandler was handling things and that Jason from the parts department was helping me so I should be all good now. I wrote back and said I have no idea who Jason is and Chandler just sent messages to the different departments- he said he couldn't really help me himself.

On that Wednesday, I finally got word from Jason in the parts department that made it sound like 'oh it fell through the cracks, we don't know why you haven't gotten the part' kind of thing which is crap because the body shop had regularly been reaching out to them and had made no head way. The body shop finally got the final part the end of last week.

Still no call from a manager.

After a week and a half of not hearing from a manager, I chatted with someone again and they said a manager would get to me when they got to me. They are busy and have other people to contact- they have a list. And there is no specific time when someone will get back to me. It will happen when it happens. I seriously was told that.

Then I got an email from customer service that the transfer to my dads car 'supposedly' is done after 6 months. The rep said for my dad to 'not worry about it' anymore and if he gets any other renewals in the mail then to 'ignore them'.

I asked more than once 'does this mean it's out of my dads name' and I got this same weird/vague answer again.

It's been 2 1/2 weeks and still no call from a manager. The only thing I got was an email from another representative saying since I contacted my attorney and the media then I needed to talk to their legal department. They couldn't 'help' me anymore- not that they were really helping me in the first place.

In their mind, and from what they said in the email, they have already done everything that was needed:

- The transfer to my dads car 'supposedly' is done after 6 months (but it was never actually confirmed).

- The final part was finally sent to the body shop after over 4 months

- The credits were finally added to my account after 4 months

They never addressed the other issues I have had that I didn't even list here. AND still no call- just another blow off. I'm just so sick of it all. I really love my car and I just want to enjoy it. I wish they would all just do the BASIC things so I can enjoy it.

I have 3 friends who want to buy a Tesla (two of them X's) and I can't really recommend the cars anymore due to the poor service which is a shame. I really hope their is a light at the end of the tunnel and they hire some people to actually take care of their customers and who know how to keep parts in stock. If not then I can't see this company staying in business. So freaking sad.

So bottom line, does anyone know any managers and/or someone who can actually call me? I want to make sure my dads car is actually transferred without him having to go out of his way. Thanks in advance!!

My LEXUS dealer welcomes me with graciousness.
I have a new clean loaner car at my want.

The hostess at the cafe bar offers me mochas and espressos...along with a wide assortment of nibbles.
The two story waterfall is soothing as I relax in the expansive second story customer lounge...

What home service? No Problem.
A flatbed tow truck comes to my place with a clean loaner car....takes my car to the dealer...
returns my car....ahhhhh

Concierge service? awesome...
I enjoy special deals and events...lunch at Post Ranch?
On the house...

I feel appreciated and valued.

I wouldn't put up with the crap I read about here at a Denny's...
But at a Michelin star establishment?
You must be kidding.
Spending over $100k for a car and being treated like dog dirt...
This religious fervor needs an intervention

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Garlan Garner
My LEXUS dealer welcomes me with graciousness.
I have a new clean loaner car at my want.

The hostess at the cafe bar offers me mochas and espressos...along with a wide assortment of nibbles.
The two story waterfall is soothing as I relax in the expansive second story customer lounge...

What home service? No Problem.
A flatbed tow truck comes to my place with a clean loaner car....takes my car to the dealer...
returns my car....ahhhhh

Concierge service? awesome...
I enjoy special deals and events...lunch at Post Ranch?
On the house...

I feel appreciated and valued.

I wouldn't put up with the crap I read about here at a Denny's...
But at a Michelin star establishment?
You must be kidding.
Spending over $100k for a car and being treated like dog dirt...
This religious fervor needs an intervention
Lexus treated my dad like a king when he took his GX in for service.
And that wasn’t even their most expensive car. They didn’t care.

Reactions: Garlan Garner