Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla owner configurations begin

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You are an existing owner in Cali who reserved at the store?? And you didn't receive your invite yet??

I was hoping online people would be next but I am surprised you didn't get yours.

Existing owner (as of Sept. 2016) in SF Bay Area and reserved at about 12:30 or 1:00 pm 3/31.

Based on the spreadsheet it looks like out of 27 people reporting reservation times everyone except 3 or 4 (including @bonnie) reserved before 11:15 am PT. So looks like there are still some CA owners/line-waiters like me to go through. The lines probably died down quite a bit as the day went on so hopefully won't take too long to get through the rest of us.

Once they get moving on orders this should be quick for the rest of us.

Depends on how you're defining "the rest of us", to be fair. I'm a lot more optimistic than I was a few days ago but we haven't seen anything in the way of actual evidence that they're doing better than a few hundred units per month. It looks good for existing owners in California, though.

Reactions: navguy12
So I count 30 CA stores on the Tesla site. Probably close to the count 3/31/16, give or take a few.

I was 90th in line, and got in about 11:15.

So if the cutoff so far is around 11:15, that's a total of maybe around 2700 orders by then.

I think most stores probably had at least a line that long.

So depending on the actual % that were owners (didn't Tesla say 7%)? then we might almost be through CA owners that made there deposit by 11:15 am.

The question is, how many hours into day 1 in CA do they invite, until they go back to the very first current owners that were in line outside CA?

Considering people who were invited 11/22 are getting 12/11 delivery (which is a day short of 3 weeks), actual production might only be 2 weeks.

You are assuming that the sequence is this:
1. Invite sent
2. Order received
3. Car produced
4. Car delivered

Remember, there is only 1 build configuration with multiple colors available as the only option. Wheels and tires are swappable at the delivery center. Plus there is a huge backlog of orders for every region and color.

I believe what Tesla is doing is building cars as fast as possible, with the sequence then being reduced to:
1. Invite sent
2. Order received
3. Group prebuilt cars together for shipment to delivery center
4. Deliver car

The fact that the spreadsheet shows VIN assignments ranging from 600 to 2000 from the first configuration invite pretty much confirms the "build first and figure everything out later" process.

It makes total sense when you think about it. It also allows for Tesla to get the maximum possible number of cars into customers hands by 12-31. It's even possible that they may put California non-owners ahead of non-California owners to maximize 2017 deliveries. We haven't gotten through the first half of California owners yet so that may not even come into play.

Just watch schoneluchts spreadsheet to see how it plays out. It's possible that the last minute confusion about whether the federal tax credit was going away happened too quickly for Tesla to alter any delivery sequence plans they had. But again, they are just building as fast as possible in any case.

The fact that two posters here who are owners each received two invites, instead of the previously stated one only, seems to point toward a California focus.

My $0.02

RT

Totally agree, with the limited options available today, they must be building cars before orders come in and assign them to owners after the fact. That's assuming they are able to get in front of the orders.

You are assuming that the sequence is this:
1. Invite sent
2. Order received
3. Car produced
4. Car delivered

Remember, there is only 1 build configuration with multiple colors available as the only option. Wheels and tires are swappable at the delivery center. Plus there is a huge backlog of orders for every region and color.

I believe what Tesla is doing is building cars as fast as possible, with the sequence then being reduced to:
1. Invite sent
2. Order received
3. Group prebuilt cars together for shipment to delivery center
4. Deliver car

The fact that the spreadsheet shows VIN assignments ranging from 600 to 2000 from the first configuration invite pretty much confirms the "build first and figure everything out later" process.

It makes total sense when you think about it. It also allows for Tesla to get the maximum possible number of cars into customers hands by 12-31. It's even possible that they may put California non-owners ahead of non-California owners to maximize 2017 deliveries. We haven't gotten through the first half of California owners yet so that may not even come into play.

Just watch schoneluchts spreadsheet to see how it plays out. It's possible that the last minute confusion about whether the federal tax credit was going away happened too quickly for Tesla to alter any delivery sequence plans they had. But again, they are just building as fast as possible in any case.

The fact that two posters here who are owners each received two invites, instead of the previously stated one only, seems to point toward a California focus.

My $0.02

RT

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Not to mention the recent story about cars piling up for re-work... The only value that changes on a per order bases is exterior paint color. everything else is there... auto pilot, and full autonomy are software enabled... and wheels area 5 minute switch if they guess wrong. so its easy to assume they are playing the odds on color choices and letting them fly through production and matching to orders... easy to do when there are 6 color choices. and of course TESLA is the master of statistics!

Totally agree, with the limited options available today, they must be building cars before orders come in and assign them to owners after the fact. That's assuming they are able to get in front of the orders.

Oh totally, given that the other real physical difference in the first run of cars is color and wheels, I wouldn't be surprised if they are doing a run of all one color, and then put 19" wheels, then do another run same color, aero wheels, etc.

Rinse repeat. And I bet that will continue throughout this process, and then over time they will get a better feel of preferences like color, wheels, and then PUP vs standard, LR vs SR, dual motors vs rear only. They will produce just strings of those cars, and sell them as the orders comes in.

It simplifies their line, and at least right now, allows to them pump out a ton of cars that will have giant skips in VIN #s.

Reactions: Rusty1
Honestly, the more I think about it, those initial invites are probably a test group to see on average what colors are more popular than others, and what the split on wheel types are. So they can have an anticipation of how many of each configuration they will need.

Honestly, the more I think about it, those initial invites are probably a test group to see on average what colors are more popular than others, and what the split on wheel types are. So they can have an anticipation of how many of each configuration they will need.
They are batch painted by color, so yes an educated guess as to demand for colors is necessary. Wheels don't matter as they are a just-in-time delivery to the factory and on the line.

I took the liberty of adding @dturkes and @rcsting to the spreadsheet. Feel free to update additional details if you are so inclined. They replied to an older thread and may not be aware of this one.

Model 3 invites to configure

RT
I would like to add my name to the list... i stood in line Annapolis MD, 3/31 reserved 2 and was about 20th inline. RN 1070245XX and 1074419xx... however about 3 weeks ago i changed my tesla address to Sacramento ca, even though i am in Maryland still. received email yesterday 12:28 EST. just not sure how to fill out your form.

I would like to add my name to the list... i stood in line Annapolis MD, 3/31 reserved 2 and was about 20th inline. RN 1070245XX and 1074419xx... however about 3 weeks ago i changed my tesla address to Sacramento ca, even though i am in Maryland still. received email yesterday 12:28 EST. just not sure how to fill out your form.

Not my spreadsheet, so I just filled in Annapolis Md, which is where you reserved. While some reservations were made by out of state reservation holders like yourself, it appears that only those that changed their addresses to California are being invited.

RT