Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla owner configurations begin

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a PA MS owner, first day deposit, no email but my account is allowing me to configure. My MS lease is up June 30 and I'm not interested in owning two cars (no chance of getting out of lease payments or trading in) for a long period of time. I was told by the sales manager at my delivery center that my invite would not expire, and so I can wait as long as a I want to configure the M3 and still receive in the four week timeframe. I am curious if anyone else is in my situation and holding off on ordering. My concern is that somehow the invite will expire and/or the tax credit will be reduced before I order and take delivery on the M3.

they won't expire your invite but the reduction on the tax credit is likely the longer you wait.

I am a PA MS owner, first day deposit, no email but my account is allowing me to configure. My MS lease is up June 30 and I'm not interested in owning two cars (no chance of getting out of lease payments or trading in) for a long period of time. I was told by the sales manager at my delivery center that my invite would not expire, and so I can wait as long as a I want to configure the M3 and still receive in the four week timeframe. I am curious if anyone else is in my situation and holding off on ordering. My concern is that somehow the invite will expire and/or the tax credit will be reduced before I order and take delivery on the M3.

I wouldn't worry about the tax credit getting reduced. Once the 200,000 limit hits, you'll still have at least 3 to 6 months at the full $7500 tax credit. If it's still a 4 week delivery, you'll have no problem getting the full amount that you qualify for.

I wouldn't worry about the tax credit getting reduced. Once the 200,000 limit hits, you'll still have at least 3 to 6 months at the full $7500 tax credit. If it's still a 4 week delivery, you'll have no problem getting the full amount that you qualify for.
Thanks, this is my thinking as well but it's hard to get straight answers from Tesla (or my accountant!) on this.

I’m in awe...
Thanks ... let's hope the factory production reaches 5,000/week soon! :cool:
All Tesla models .png

Reactions: Zaxxon
I also think if Tesla holds true to the Model 3 like they did with our S delivery timeframe last year, that California people will mostly be invited for delivery at the end of the quarter, so maybe invite in February or March with delivery in March, to make those sales delivery numbers by the end of 1st Qtr. Much easier and quicker to delivery locally as soon as a car get released from the Factory. Anything "in transit" gets counted in the following quarter.
While total US production to date is just a guess, most of the guesses suggest they should hit that mark in the next few months. If so that could affect March deliveries. I imagine a lot of March deliveries could be held up until after April 1, if Tesla could otherwise hit 200,000 in March.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
IIRC they allow current owners up to two reservations or maybe I'm just a special snowflake (unlikely).

From the official FAQ on the Tesla website:

Can I use my Tesla owner priority on more than one Model 3 reservation?
Yes. If you own one Tesla, you will receive priority for one Model 3 reservation. If you own two or more Teslas, you will receive priority for up to two Model 3 reservations.

Model 3 Reservations FAQ

• Informative
  • Disagree
Reactions: rsbell and bhzmark
I believe that's been shown to not be the case, as we've had other folks (I think) with only one (or zero, in the event of prior owners) current Tesla who have been able to configure both reservations. Possible I misinterpreted some posts, though.

And of course there's the conundrum that by the letter of the FAQ, if you own a Model S or X and then configure and purchase a Model 3, you now own two Teslas and should expect that second reservation to therefore get priority. :D

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark and KJD