Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla owner configurations begin

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IIRC they allow current owners up to two reservations or maybe I'm just a special snowflake (unlikely).

Oh cool! I will just continue to look at my "thank you" card they gave me for standing in line for hours in the cold. Tesla is making me seriously mad not honoring the fact that people waited in line having not even SEEN the car yet. Now owners get TWO oportunities to cut in line?! I am starting to lose all goodwill I had towards Tesla.

Yes they have the best tech, so I will still purchase, but if anyone "plays catch up" in the next 5-10 years I think this will be my last car from them.

Oh cool! I will just continue to look at my "thank you" card they gave me for standing in line for hours in the cold. Tesla is making me seriously mad not honoring the fact that people waited in line having not even SEEN the car yet. Now owners get TWO oportunities to cut in line?! I am starting to lose all goodwill I had towards Tesla.

Yes they have the best tech, so I will still purchase, but if anyone "plays catch up" in the next 5-10 years I think this will be my last car from them.
I get it. There are also many long term owners deferring delivery until the configuration they wants becomes available. It also appears there is a robust secondary market for Model 3s developing, yes some are asking a premium now but I expect that won’t last long. If you want one now (long range battery/pup) you could actually buy one.

Are there any other US owners on here who reserved 1st day and still not able to configure?

I reserved online pre-reveal (within 2 minutes of site opening) and have owned an X since July 2016. I’m in TX. I just checked site again and still not able to configure. Delivery Estimator dates show further out than what I’ve seen from other owners who reserved 1st day as well:

First Production: Jan - Mar 2018
Standard Battery: Early 2018
Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive: Oct - Dec 2018

There was a problem with my reservation early on but I thought it was all resolved. That is mainly why I am asking - trying to see if there may still be an issue.

T
I get it. There are also many long term owners deferring delivery until the configuration they wants becomes available. It also appears there is a robust secondary market for Model 3s developing, yes some are asking a premium now but I expect that won’t last long. If you want one now (long range battery/pup) you could actually buy one.

And that is the problem with allowing owners to cut. They already have at least one Tesla. They probably don't need another one. So AFTER they see the huge demand shown on the first day, by people who couldn't afford a Tesla before, they put in an order (or two now) in order to profit off the sale. Meanwhile, somewhere down the line some poor middle class family will miss out on the $7500 credit so someone who could afford a $135k car will get it twice.

Or, Tesla could have just done the right thing, and honored people's place in line and given cars in that order. It is bovine feces.

I technically owned 2 Tesla’s previously. Just not at the same time. I.e. I had an S. Then sold it when I got the X, which I still have. So that could be why they enabled my second reservation.

Worry not, I am not going to buy the second one at this time, if ever. When the AWD and other options are released, and when my X lease ends next April, I may.

So it’s not delaying anyone else’s purchase til then at least!

I technically owned 2 Tesla’s previously. Just not at the same time. I.e. I had an S. Then sold it when I got the X, which I still have. So that could be why they enabled my second reservation.

Worry not, I am not going to buy the second one at this time, if ever. When the AWD and other options are released, and when my X lease ends next April, I may.

So it’s not delaying anyone else’s purchase til then at least!

Oh dude, I don't blame you at all. If I were in your shoes I'd be doing the same thing. It's Tesla that allowed the line cutting. You should order the second one and sell it while there is still a tax credit. Free market and all that. If people have a problem with it they can take it up with Lord Elon.

I just picked up my Model 3 today and when I checked my Tesla account noticed my second reservation (made online 4/1) is ready to configure!

Maybe their system is screwy in that getting one Model 3 into your account becomes your 2nd Tesla and now you quality for early ordering on another Model 3 ?

In other words, maybe having one Model 3 in your account qualifies you for priority to order another?

T

And that is the problem with allowing owners to cut. They already have at least one Tesla. They probably don't need another one. So AFTER they see the huge demand shown on the first day, by people who couldn't afford a Tesla before, they put in an order (or two now) in order to profit off the sale. Meanwhile, somewhere down the line some poor middle class family will miss out on the $7500 credit so someone who could afford a $135k car will get it twice.

Or, Tesla could have just done the right thing, and honored people's place in line and given cars in that order. It is bovine feces.

I’m insulted by this notion of “line cutting.” I supported Tesla by purchasing 2 Model S’s over the past two years. Why shouldn’t I benefit?

They have said all along that the sale of early Model Roadster/S/X have enabled us to get here. Without us there would be no Model 3.

If the $7500 is that big a deal, go buy a Bolt. It’s much cheaper. The problem here is that you think you are entitled to something that you are not.

I’m insulted by this notion of “line cutting.” I supported Tesla by purchasing 2 Model S’s over the past two years. Why shouldn’t I benefit?

They have said all along that the sale of early Model Roadster/S/X have enabled us to get here. Without us there would be no Model 3.

If the $7500 is that big a deal, go buy a Bolt. It’s much cheaper. The problem here is that you think you are entitled to something that you are not.

Taking this from another angle, the vast majority of S/X/Roadster owners appear to have reserved the Model 3 on March 31 or April 1, 2016. Model 3 delivery estimator

Most of the ones who reserved later will be taken care of with today's batch of configuration invites and the next one (probably next week or the following week).

So everyone else in line will wait at most 2-3 extra weeks for S/X/Roadster owners who reserved after April 1, and as production ramps up non-owners farther back in the queue will only wait a few extra days.

Tesla has been clear about owner priority all along, but in any case the effect of "late" owners "jumping the line" is trivial in the grand scheme of things.

Last edited:

I suppose you bought your car out of cherity for Tesla? Or did you buy it because you WANTED the car? Thanks for funding the 3. You also got to drive a Tesla around for years when most of us couldn't afford to.

I'm insulted that I waited in line, gave Tesla $1k to hold my place in line and they gave that place away.

Funny how you seem to feel entitled to cut in line.

I suppose you bought your car out of cherity for Tesla? Or did you buy it because you WANTED the car? Thanks for funding the 3. You also got to drive a Tesla around for years when most of us couldn't afford to.

I'm insulted that I waited in line, gave Tesla $1k to hold my place in line and they gave that place away.

Funny how you seem to feel entitled to cut in line.

You’re welcome.

• Funny
Reactions: smartypnz and EinSV
Got the invite to design. I am a non-owner line waiter for a reservation in AZ. Then my brother bought a Tesla so I put in another reservation through him in aug 2016. Going back and forth on whether to wait for the smaller battery or just design now and get it in 4 weeks.

I’ve been obsessed about this thing and constantly checking threads. I want it first but don’t know if the extra money is worth it.
If I wait for the smaller battery, I wouldn’t get the premium options either. Just $1k for diff paint and $5k for auto pilot. So $41k vs $55k. Any help would be appreciated.