Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla owner configurations begin

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just published by Electrek ... Tesla starts building more Model 3 vehicles with dual motor ahead of launch

We are getting more evidence that Tesla is getting closer to expand Model 3 options to include its dual motor all-wheel-drive powertrain. As shown by the Model 3 vehicle identification number (VIN) decoder, the 8th digit represents the type of powertrain and the number 2 means a dual motor. Last month, we reported on Tesla registering 19 Model 3 VINs with dual motor powertrain with NHTSA in the latest batch of new VINS. It happened right after the Tesla Model 3 dual motor powertrain design leaked in the latest design studio update. Tesla registered a new batch of Model 3 VINs this week – bringing the total in the 11,000s, which is an increase of about 3,000 VINs in the last 2 weeks. Two dozen of those Model 3 VINs were registered with dual motor powertrain – adding to the previous batch...

In the latest Model 3 online design studio update, Tesla says that the first Model 3 dual motor deliveries are coming in Spring 2018. Spring 2018 can mean anything from March to June so it could be coming quite fast. It makes sense since Tesla has been going for higher margin vehicles first with the Long Range battery pack and the dual motor option would be the next logical step in this strategy.

upload_2018-2-3_10-17-21.png

Reactions: Chewy3
I still plan to call. The email is a bit misleading. I had indicated all along (through the Tesla website) that I plan to order the standard version so why would Tesla send me an email stating that my Model 3 is ready to be configured but then when I go to configure, the only option is the premium version.

I still plan to call. The email is a bit misleading. I had indicated all along (through the Tesla website) that I plan to order the standard version so why would Tesla send me an email stating that my Model 3 is ready to be configured but then when I go to configure, the only option is the premium version.
Just marketing. Your names up and you can order something. Maybe you will change your mind.

The option to configure my first 3 order opened up about 10 days ago. I just received the invite email to configure a minute ago. With that said, I'm waiting on AWD on the first reservation. I do have two reservations but the second reservation was made long after the first and is not yet available to configure.

Reactions: UZJedi
CA owner / line-waiter.

03/31/16: Reserved ~10:30am in Costa Mesa store
01/09/18: Able to configure over the phone (called to confirm line-waiter status)
01/21/18: Able to configure online
02/04/18: Received invite email at 6:06am

Waiting for SR.

First day reservation on-line, MS owner in PA, been able to configure since January 17th, just got my email at 9:08am EST today. I am waiting until Wednesday night after the earnings call in case they make any significant announcements about the M3 in general. I'd consider dual motor if it's not priced out of sight.

Selecting that “standard range” box is non- binding. You still get your invite in (whatever) sequence.

Building up for a large batch of invites to non-owners? Crossing my fingers.

Still have owners that have not been invited. (like me)

My guess is that all over the current owners(in the US) have had a chance to configure(or have been missed for some reason or another like a different registered account). I think in the next two weeks we will see the first invites going out to day 1 reservation holders. The interesting thing will be if they also prioritize based on California first and then move east. I get the feeling that they will send the invites to the whole country at once to make logistics easier for deliveries.

I wonder what % of current owners chose to take the fully loaded 49k+ model. I also wonder what it will be for the day 1 reservation owners. Current Tesla owners are rich, so they could easily afford the 49k. But on the other hand, they already have a Tesla and are not freaking out like most of the rest of us to get their hands on one. Day 1 reservation holders I imagine will be a little harder up on money and thinking about waiting for the 44k version or the 35k version.

It will be interesting. I think that all the day 1 in store reservations will get a chance to configure before mid March. As for online reservation people it will depend on the % of people that confirm.

I'm aware of many owners that reserved after June 2017 that are still waiting (including myself) there is still a ways to go.