Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Owners in Alberta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If we get enough out, we might need to take turns at the supercharger.

Good morning everyone,

For anyone concerned with the weather, I have found a web cam of Canmore, I could be wrong but I think winter tires won't be necessary. The webcam show the road dry without any snow accumulation.
It might be cool or even cold, yet there won't be snow on the ground. The weather changes quickly, I know that Canmore has a snow fall advisory in effect, yet the weather should remain above freezing after Tuesday and for the rest of the week

have a look at the webcam and see for yourself. It's pretty cool and if you dig around a little on the site you can see a timelaps video of the last 24hrs and even month. There is no snow on the ground.

Canmore: Alberta: Downtown Mount Rundle from Main Street

i sent an invite for Greg G. and John L. to join us as well.

If there are too many TESLAs at the supercharger that need to be charged, We can leave a a few while we have lunch. Problem solved!

But then we won't have quite the impressive line of cars at the restaurant! I'm sure we can work through it. I'll likely be spending the night the day before <as much fun as driving the S is, Edm->Canmore->Edm in a day is stretching it a bit), so I should be all charged up in advance.

@Spurkey and @Zapped, if not Camore this weekend, are you guys interested in a possible Red Deer meet up sometime? I don't recall which other Edmonton owners we have on here (and does @'ing someone actually do anything? For some reason I thought it did, but really don't know).

Firstly , for all us summer tire optimists...what were we thinking? Might be back to Jacques garage at this rate. Still it's calgary. Might be +25 and bare by tomorrow. Secondly, look forward to seeing as many of you as possible on Sunday and thanks Footbag for starting to organize a Red deer gathering. Hopefully I'll be able to make that too.
Finally, Han Chen and mcmuggets, you have your cars yet?

A quick question for anyone that might have an idea why when I launched my car today, my tesla wasn't quite as fast as when I did the first time. I looked at the Data on the last 50km and it show that the motor only accessed 400kw, whereas when I launched it the first time, the power usage went as high as 580kw. Which explain why today's launch wasn't as satisfying.

is it perhaps because I had the car in range mode?

Last edited:
A quick question for anyone that might have an idea why when I launched my car today, my tesla wasn't quite as fast as when I did the first time. I looked at the Data on the last 50km and it show that the motor only accessed 400kw, whereas when I launched it the first time, the power usage went as high has 580kw. Which explain why today's launch wasn't as satisfying.

is it perhaps because I had the car in range mode?

Could it be your battery charge? The lower charge you have, the slower the launch will be. There is a very noticeable difference accelerating at 100% vs 50%

Firstly , for all us summer tire optimists...what were we thinking? Might be back to Jacques garage at this rate. Still it's calgary. Might be +25 and bare by tomorrow. Secondly, look forward to seeing as many of you as possible on Sunday and thanks Footbag for starting to organize a Red deer gathering. Hopefully I'll be able to make that too.

Come over anytime. If the weather turns really cold, I will as well change my tires .

Wow... snow today but sunny and warm tomorrow. That's Alberta for you! Summer tires are staying ON! I do NOT back down to Mother Nature! :)

Looking forward to getting a picture of four Model S's at the Canmore Supercharger. Great idea about car-pooling to the restaurant while some charge.

Any word from the other Edmonton folks like @vlad about coming down as well? Maybe Red Deer will be better for them. @Footbag will you bring the drone again - should be nice weather for some good rolling footage :)

What about @McNuggets and Han?

Wow... snow today but sunny and warm tomorrow. That's Alberta for you! Summer tires are staying ON! I do NOT back down to Mother Nature! :)

Looking forward to getting a picture of four Model S's at the Canmore Supercharger. Great idea about car-pooling to the restaurant while some charge.

Any word from the other Edmonton folks like @vlad about coming down as well? Maybe Red Deer will be better for them. @Footbag will you bring the drone again - should be nice weather for some good rolling footage :)

I indeed will... I'll even remember to hit RECORD this time ;-). Looking forward to getting some more good footage... Rolling footage, that sounds like a great challenge! Time wise, meeting earlier would be great, 11am or something similar. Want to give us more time to chat, I was disappointed having to leave during the lunch gathering last time.

No, the battery was at 90%. I wonder if it was because of the range mode! I'll take a picture of the power usage.

Theoretically range mode shouldn't have any affect when you are really putting your foot to the floor. It is supposed to figure out when you don't need as much power and then "sleep" the rear motor. That being said - anything is possible and it might be worth experimenting. Of course your first insane mode launch might have set the bar too high? The energy graph can be confusing and depending on whether you are looking at the 10Km 25 Km window or whatever, the power usage looks as if it is higher as it is measuring usage per Km and the more you stretch it the lower the readings look. Somehow that seems wrong to me but I'm pretty sure that is how it works. The other possibility is that your wife changed it to sport mode when you weren't looking (or put it in Valet mode :)

- - - Updated - - -

or M1ker (don't think he has responded). Maybe one of us could mention it in the Alberta EV forum too. Might need three shifts of charging! I dont imagine we'll really have a problem. They are superchargers after all.

- - - Updated - - -

For any of you thinking about driving in "insane mode" out to Canmore, they have been doing alot of aerial speed monitoring :) I think I may take a drive out with the family and have a look at my first Teslas. I will be pulling up in my rusted out Altima.......lol. All the best!

Thanks for the tip!
Ironically while I've yet to get a ticket in the Tesla (touch wood) I just received a ticket for speeding in my Enterprise rental car while my Tesla was in Vancouver for front motor replacement. Guess I was gunning it to take the boredom out of the driving experience.

@Spurkey and @Zapped, if not Camore this weekend, are you guys interested in a possible Red Deer meet up sometime? I don't recall which other Edmonton owners we have on here (and does @'ing someone actually do anything? For some reason I thought it did, but really don't know).

@Footbag : @ing should work depending how often a forum member frequents this website.
Sorry I didn't get back to you all sooner.
Since it is a bit of trip to the mountains from Edmonton, we'd prefer to go during the summer months with a better chance of good weather.

A few years back we had a opportunity to meet up with some great Roadster owners in the mountains.
We had a scenic drive together with some nice stops on Hwy 1A from Banff to Lake Louise, which we'd love to do again.
Also had a chance to drive each others cars, which was very interesting.

Anyway I hope you all have a good time this week-end and perhaps we'll catch up with you on another trip.

We haven't gotten our cars yet and haven't gotten any communication from Vancouver either. The My Tesla page shows "in transit from factory" and it has been the same for a few weeks now. Just emailed my DS tonight.... I hope it makes the wrap shop appointment at least! It's gonna be close I think. Just wondering, what was the timeline between getting your paperwork emailed to you and finally getting your Tesla at your doorstep? Thanks guys, have fun at your meets!

We haven't gotten our cars yet and haven't gotten any communication from Vancouver either. The My Tesla page shows "in transit from factory" and it has been the same for a few weeks now. Just emailed my DS tonight.... I hope it makes the wrap shop appointment at least! It's gonna be close I think. Just wondering, what was the timeline between getting your paperwork emailed to you and finally getting your Tesla at your doorstep? Thanks guys, have fun at your meets!
sorry there is no simple answer to that question, your mileage may vary. More likely than not your car is already in vancouver and awaiting PDI or just waiting for a transport to Calgary. These transports seem pretty scarce and somewhat unpredictable. I doubt many people in here would contradict that statement. Sorry not to be more help.

IMG_2515.JPG
IMG_2516.JPG
Theoretically range mode shouldn't have any affect when you are really putting your foot to the floor. It is supposed to figure out when you don't need as much power and then "sleep" the rear motor. That being said - anything is possible and it might be worth experimenting. Of course your first insane mode launch might have set the bar too high? The energy graph can be confusing and depending on whether you are looking at the 10Km 25 Km window or whatever, the power usage looks as if it is higher as it is measuring usage per Km and the more you stretch it the lower the readings look. Somehow that seems wrong to me but I'm pretty sure that is how it works. The other possibility is that your wife changed it to sport mode when you weren't looking (or put it in Valet mode :)

- - - Updated - - -

Here are the Energy usage when I launch my TESLA yesterday.. it seems quite low, I should be able to use more of the wattage available.
your thoughts.. Sorry I am dwelling on this.. I just want my tesla to run like a bat out of hell!

View attachment 78096View attachment 78097

- - - Updated - - -

Here are the Energy usage when I launch my TESLA yesterday.. it seems quite low, I should be able to use more of the wattage available.
your thoughts.. Sorry I am dwelling on this.. I just want my tesla to run like a bat out of hell!

I think the issue here is the way the graph works. I sometimes think about starting a whole thread about this energy tool as it can be easily misinterpreted. For example, anytime the car is parked but using power (e.g. door is open, climate control or music on etc.) the energy looks really high because it is normally showing you the average of power used per Km. If the car was only moved a few feet and then uses 400 Wh (could take hours or days even to rack up that much), the graph will ultimately show a very high (possibly more the 400 wh/Km) average. I think we tend to think in terms of the X axis being time bound. You have your graph set for 50 Km and I think you'll find that if you change it to 10 Km the numbers will be higher. This doesn't entirely make sense to me but I guess the key is that the number on the Y axis is an average of power over some distance. Apparently as you expand the distance that the graph covers, each point of measurement covers more distance to average over, thus one launch gets diluted. Not sure if that makes sense or is even correct but the bottom line is that the power number goes down if you expand the distance window.