Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Owners in Alberta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So this was a picture near our river valley... while I am partial to the Model S, seeing it by a BMW i8 is a pretty awesome site... I don't suppose anyone here owns both of these?
i82.jpg

Hi Calgary owners.

Our Saskatchewan comrade: Mayhemm is coming through town on the 16th (and possibly the 18th) as part of the Sun country E-mazing race (my money is on him winning this year). I'm hoping to meet up with him but I haven't picked a location yet (he will probably be up in the NE) but if anyone else wants to meet up maybe we can coordinate something. Maybe a pub type venue where some can eat if they want and others can just have a drink. Suggestions welcome.

So this was a picture near our river valley... while I am partial to the Model S, seeing it by a BMW i8 is a pretty awesome site... I don't suppose anyone here owns both of these?
View attachment 83712
Very cool! I haven't seen one in person and BMW will not service i vehicles in Alberta- you would need to bring/transport your car to Vancouver for service. Could use a lesson from Tesla on the service end of things. :rolleyes:

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Calgary owners.

Our Saskatchewan comrade: Mayhemm is coming through town on the 16th (and possibly the 18th) as part of the Sun country E-mazing race (my money is on him winning this year). I'm hoping to meet up with him but I haven't picked a location yet (he will probably be up in the NE) but if anyone else wants to meet up maybe we can coordinate something. Maybe a pub type venue where some can eat if they want and others can just have a drink. Suggestions welcome.
I'm always in for something like this. Earls NE near Barlow?

Very cool! I haven't seen one in person and BMW will not service i vehicles in Alberta- you would need to bring/transport your car to Vancouver for service. Could use a lesson from Tesla on the service end of things. :rolleyes:

- - - Updated - - -

i just came back from Vancouver and saw two i8. They look pretty cool. Yet I prefer my tesla.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Calgary owners.

I am back.., let me know and I'll meet you there as well. When ?

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds like that would probably be a good choice. Mayhemm is getting his car detailed by a guy who operates out of Davenport Motorsports, 1530 Aviation Rd NE. It is possible that this will not pan out and in any case I will probably pick him up from there so we could meet up somewhere more central if that suits any better.
I think this will be on the 16th, probably after 6. More details to follow.

View attachment 83712
I saw this TESLA parked there when I was in the area about a year ago. I was somewhat surprised that there was only street parking. Not the best considering the winter road clearing activities etc
Interesting about the i8 being in virtually the same street

i just came back from Vancouver and saw two i8. They look pretty cool. Yet I prefer my tesla.
The i8 is "futuristic" but the Tesla is actually the future.

It's hard to get excited about an ICE hybrid that's slower than an MS, costs more, and is less functional. Sure it looks neat, but that's just not enough for all the other compromises you'd have to make to have one.

I saw this TESLA parked there when I was in the area about a year ago. I was somewhat surprised that there was only street parking. Not the best considering the winter road clearing activities etc
Interesting about the i8 being in virtually the same street

Is this near the Conservatory? I've seen a White Model S around that area before. I also notice the i8 has a front plate holder (but no plate), might be a friend visiting from BC?

Saw this on Reddit, a heads up for any interested Edmonton and area Tesla owners of a Show and Shine at the Racing for a Cure event on Saturday.

https://www.facebook.com/events/892476880817154/

http://www.rfacedmonton.com/

I contacted the organizer, offering up my car to give rides in. He said thanks but no thanks,they didn't want it as it was a sedan and did not fit with the desirable exotic cars. I was going to at least go to the car show, but ended up with a scheduling conflict. I'm interested in hearing feedback if any one attends.

- - - Updated - - -

Tonight I checked out a red deer show and shine car show . Super turn out and it was an excellent event. Better than anything I have seen yet in Edmonton.

On a related note, there will be at leas. 2, maybe 3 Tesla's at a car show in Edmonton Sunday. Would be great to see even more. http://celebrationedmonton.com/events/fathers-day-show-shine-car-show

Lastly, I noticed that the red deer Superchargers have been cleaned up. They installed wheel stops, but these are low profile so the entire back end clears them right to the wheels (at least in very high suspension)

20150618_204522.jpg

I contacted the organizer, offering up my car to give rides in. He said thanks but no thanks,they didn't want it as it was a sedan and did not fit with the desirable exotic cars. I was going to at least go to the car show, but ended up with a scheduling conflict. I'm interested in hearing feedback if any one attends.
Is it just me or does that sound moronic. Perhaps I'm not understanding the definition of an exotic car though I recently had a guy who is part of an exotic car collective that meets weekly, invite me to attend any time I want (with my sedan).

This response seems to imply that there will be no sedans there but their facebook page says: "event is open to all and anyone who wants to show off their ride". A model S P85D is probably more expensive than some of the cars there, probably outperforms a bunch of the cars there and is certainly rarer that many of the cars there. Being that it might be the only electric car there I can't see how it doesn't qualify as exotic.

Is it just me or does that sound moronic. Perhaps I'm not understanding the definition of an exotic car though I recently had a guy who is part of an exotic car collective that meets weekly, invite me to attend any time I want (with my sedan).

This response seems to imply that there will be no sedans there but their facebook page says: "event is open to all and anyone who wants to show off their ride". A model S P85D is probably more expensive than some of the cars there, probably outperforms a bunch of the cars there and is certainly rarer that many of the cars there. Being that it might be the only electric car there I can't see how it doesn't qualify as exotic.

I agree with you Gpetti! Some context may be helpful, this is a two fold event. The main aspect is selling rides (money goes to charity) in 'exotic' cars. There is also a car show element. To be clear(and I perhaps should have called this out in my original post), the organizer specifically did say I should come to the car show, but that the Model S wasn't of interest in the 'selling rides' part. Part of me (the pre-Tesla part!) can understand why he perhaps thinks that way. His focus is to sell tickets. If you put a BMW 7 series and a Lambo side by side, I don't think the BMW will sell many tickets. The issue is I don't think he really grasped the uniqueness of the Model S P85D (in fact, he may not have known the P85D was any different from prior Tesla's, and I didn't feel it appropriate to argue/educate him).

With the main goal being to make money, and the sub goal being to put smiles on (sick) kids faces as part of the test rides, I honestly think the P85D would have done just as good a job as any Lambo, and better than some of the cars they are permitting/promoting (Porches, Audi R8s, Rolls Royce <tho some people may want the ride just to be in a Rolls, not for the thrill, which is cool with me>, Jag F-Type, Merc AMG C63). It is the F-Type and C63 that really irk me, our cars are soo much better than those in many many ways. They also have some pretty cool cars that certainly fit the bill, besides various Lambos and Ferraris, there is a Nascar, McLaren, Maserati MC12 Corsa and a Radical SR3RSX (those last two i've never heard of/seen, but the pics and specs are great).

In hindsight, perhaps I should have replied with a link to the Insane Mode videos on youtube, maybe then he would have had a change of heart. Although, had he accepted the Tesla, then I would have had to face the issue of charge... racing around a track all day is sure to deplete the battery quick. While I imagine they have fuel on site for the ICE cars, filling a Tesla without a Supercharger is an issue... Thats where I would have reached out to this group, what is better than 1 P85D? 10 P85Ds! We could have taken turns, tagging in and out as we deplete our batteries LOL.

I agree with you Gpetti! Some context may be helpful, this is a two fold event. The main aspect is selling rides (money goes to charity) in 'exotic' cars. There is also a car show element. To be clear(and I perhaps should have called this out in my original post), the organizer specifically did say I should come to the car show, but that the Model S wasn't of interest in the 'selling rides' part. Part of me (the pre-Tesla part!) can understand why he perhaps thinks that way. His focus is to sell tickets. If you put a BMW 7 series and a Lambo side by side, I don't think the BMW will sell many tickets. The issue is I don't think he really grasped the uniqueness of the Model S P85D (in fact, he may not have known the P85D was any different from prior Tesla's, and I didn't feel it appropriate to argue/educate him).

With the main goal being to make money, and the sub goal being to put smiles on (sick) kids faces as part of the test rides, I honestly think the P85D would have done just as good a job as any Lambo, and better than some of the cars they are permitting/promoting (Porches, Audi R8s, Rolls Royce <tho some people may want the ride just to be in a Rolls, not for the thrill, which is cool with me>, Jag F-Type, Merc AMG C63). It is the F-Type and C63 that really irk me, our cars are soo much better than those in many many ways. They also have some pretty cool cars that certainly fit the bill, besides various Lambos and Ferraris, there is a Nascar, McLaren, Maserati MC12 Corsa and a Radical SR3RSX (those last two i've never heard of/seen, but the pics and specs are great).

In hindsight, perhaps I should have replied with a link to the Insane Mode videos on youtube, maybe then he would have had a change of heart. Although, had he accepted the Tesla, then I would have had to face the issue of charge... racing around a track all day is sure to deplete the battery quick. While I imagine they have fuel on site for the ICE cars, filling a Tesla without a Supercharger is an issue... Thats where I would have reached out to this group, what is better than 1 P85D? 10 P85Ds! We could have taken turns, tagging in and out as we deplete our batteries LOL.
Thanks for clarifying. I have to admit there are some pretty "exotic" cars" in that list but speaking personally I've found there are plenty of people who would likely pay for an insane launch and as you say there are a few cars that are relatively mundane compared to the P85D and our cards definitely attract way more attention than those. Anyway, your last point is well taken too. There would be only so many insane launches before things started to get less insane.

I met up with the folks this morning at second cup before all the supercars departed for the track. Amazing site to see. The Tesla doesn't make nearly enough noise to fit in with that crowd, nor would it last burning around a track all day. I like the idea of a few of us trading off - maybe next year.

Anyone going to the show and shine tomorrow? I was planning to go anyway to check out the cars, maybe if there are other owners there I'll enter my car so I get a better parking spot.

I met up with the folks this morning at second cup before all the supercars departed for the track. Amazing site to see. The Tesla doesn't make nearly enough noise to fit in with that crowd, nor would it last burning around a track all day. I like the idea of a few of us trading off - maybe next year.

Anyone going to the show and shine tomorrow? I was planning to go anyway to check out the cars, maybe if there are other owners there I'll enter my car so I get a better parking spot.

Any pictures from Second Cup?!! Jelous that you are in the 'know' to meet them at Second Cup, I so would have got to work late today to see those cars collected together.
As I said earlier, can't make it tomorrow unfortunately. Do take some pictures of the event if you go. On Sunday myself and one or two others were headed to a car show, and the more Teslas the merrier, if you are up for back to back car shows lol.

Not a great pic, but a pic nonetheless. When I arrived I got excited as I thought the blue car in the middle was a roadster- but it was a lotus.

I was planning on going to the lake this weekend but maybe I'll join you Sunday. I'll keep you posted.

The second cup gathering is posted on the event website (Schedule | Racing for a Cure), and they are doing it again tomorrow.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434754008.243356.jpg

Last edited:
Well this was a fun weekend. Saturday morning I checked out the pre-show gathering of the Race For The Cure cars. It is somewhat telling that those interested in cars are coming around to Tesla, as two people came up to me standing by my car (which was at a bit of a distance from all the Ferrari's/etc as I didn't want to intrude on their gathering) and said that out of all the cars present, the Tesla was the best/coolest one. I set Waldo loose: Race For The Cure 2015 - YouTube.
Then today, Zapped and I had a pretty fantastic time at a local Fathers Day car show. Lots of interest in the two Tesla's. Apparently my skin (in conjunction with the sun) wanted to join in on the fun, going all chameleon on me and mimicking the color of the two cars lol.
20150621_113851.jpg
20150621_130342.jpg