Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Owners in Alberta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, I am able to charge again. Vancouver sent over a photo as a guide late this afternoon... of how to press a lever in the trunk to disengage the pin lock of the charge port. Oddly, I didn't have to move the pin much at all, just a little nudge and it opened up on its own. With the pin lock out of the way, I could charge fine. I tried removing the cable and reinserting it several times... but each time required me to nudge the lever. I charged up a bit, and headed to a family event.

Prior to getting me the picture, Vancouver also rescheduled the ranger who was in Edmonton, so he would head home Saturday instead of Friday. A part (presumably replacement charge port) was overnighted here, and the ranger should be installing it tomorrow. It is great that after the initial conversation, they decided to make allowances to assist me, it is just too bad they didn't address the initial call in a way that suggested this might be an option... being told I would be the cause of the ranger missing his flight to help me is only making me feel worse about the situation (and as a customer, perhaps I don't care what he misses as he does his job to assist customers...). If only they could have gotten me instructions on this lever ahead of time (and it is a bit odd that Tesla Service 1800# wouldn't have known to suggest this last night when I called). I had even asked Vancouver to explain it over the phone, but he insisted it would be best handled with photos (sent 5+ hours later). With the workaround, I would have been fine waiting a bit for the part to be replaced.

And of course when I got home just now, the charge port just worked, no touching the lever needed, and thus, the ranger visit is even less needed. I likely do have a failing charge port, so getting it replaced is may still be prudent.

So last weekend my family heard all about the fun of 'range anxiety'. This weekend they hear about me having to miss (actually just be late since I ultimately was able to charge) family events since my car broke and won't charge. Not much chance of me getting a referral out of family any time soon lol.

This is the lever that moves the lock pin of the charger. This piece is accessible through the trunk. In my car, there was a little carpet piece that quite obviously is removable (velcro). The opening is a touch smaller than the part in the picture... you see the orange plastic easily enough, but the lever is ever so slightly 'out of sight', but still quite easy to get to with your fingers.

Thanks for the information. I took a look at my charge port and it does not have the manual lever like yours does. Also, the cover is not held on with velcro. Just two bendable tabs.
So I guess I'll just try and keep my contacts clean.

Well, I am able to charge again. Vancouver sent over a photo as a guide late this afternoon... of how to press a lever in the trunk to disengage the pin lock of the charge port. Oddly, I didn't have to move the pin much at all, just a little nudge and it opened up on its own. With the pin lock out of the way, I could charge fine. I tried removing the cable and reinserting it several times... but each time required me to nudge the lever. I charged up a bit, and headed to a family event.

Prior to getting me the picture, Vancouver also rescheduled the ranger who was in Edmonton, so he would head home Saturday instead of Friday. A part (presumably replacement charge port) was overnighted here, and the ranger should be installing it tomorrow. It is great that after the initial conversation, they decided to make allowances to assist me, it is just too bad they didn't address the initial call in a way that suggested this might be an option... being told I would be the cause of the ranger missing his flight to help me is only making me feel worse about the situation (and as a customer, perhaps I don't care what he misses as he does his job to assist customers...). If only they could have gotten me instructions on this lever ahead of time (and it is a bit odd that Tesla Service 1800# wouldn't have known to suggest this last night when I called). I had even asked Vancouver to explain it over the phone, but he insisted it would be best handled with photos (sent 5+ hours later). With the workaround, I would have been fine waiting a bit for the part to be replaced.

And of course when I got home just now, the charge port just worked, no touching the lever needed, and thus, the ranger visit is even less needed. I likely do have a failing charge port, so getting it replaced is may still be prudent.

So last weekend my family heard all about the fun of 'range anxiety'. This weekend they hear about me having to miss (actually just be late since I ultimately was able to charge) family events since my car broke and won't charge. Not much chance of me getting a referral out of family any time soon lol.

View attachment 103392This is the lever that moves the lock pin of the charger. This piece is accessible through the trunk. In my car, there was a little carpet piece that quite obviously is removable (velcro). The opening is a touch smaller than the part in the picture... you see the orange plastic easily enough, but the lever is ever so slightly 'out of sight', but still quite easy to get to with your fingers.
I remember this happened to me in the summer... it was while the Ranger was here and the charge-port acted up (couldn't insert the charging wand). He overnighted the part you showed above and replaced the next morning. I was told it can be due to premature removal (insert dirty joke here) or trying to stick the charger in before the white light is on... I had the ranger at my home the night before he went to Edmonton so he was there yesterday (and today). Hope you get it worked out okay.

Thanks. @footbag, can you re-post the link that has your video in it? If people who want to be included could PM me, with as much of this as you are comfortable with: Full name (couples fine or TMC name if preferable), Tesla model, and last 5 digits of VIN if you're ok with that. See below for the banner that was placed in the Tesla factory last year. Any thoughts on message?

attachment.php?attachmentid=68705&d=1420824598.jpg

Well given this needs to be done by December 7th and I only have a couple of names, I'm thinking that either we abandon a group initiative (people can still do their own video clip if they want) or just do something simple and generic like the example below. I realize now that we don't have the actual video footage anyway but maybe a static image like this is good enough. This was only done as an example so if anyone has something a bit classier in mind, feel free to run with it.

Factory Thanks.jpg

Anyone interested of Driving to Canmore today.. Weather looks great.. I haven't been out of town for since the last meet. Way overdue.

I have to pass on this, family obligations. Next time!.

Also, I created a thread about my issue. Nothing different than what I posted here. I never did try to clean the connectors, nor did Tesla ever mention doing so. The ranger was by yesterday and swapped out the module. They even waived the new 'edmonton ranger fee' but soon enough I'll get stuck paying it. Yet one more reason to move down the Calgary ;-)

- - - Updated - - -

Well given this needs to be done by December 7th and I only have a couple of names, I'm thinking that either we abandon a group initiative (people can still do their own video clip if they want) or just do something simple and generic like the example below. I realize now that we don't have the actual video footage anyway but maybe a static image like this is good enough.

Ah, just realized I never did compile the video, and won't have time to today. Sorry everyone. I agree though that the shot above is pretty good (and I only say that as I saw at least one other person concur lol).

if anyone still wants to go for a drive I'm free this afternoon. ...

I took my car on the highway for the first time this morning. I drove out to Canmore with my son. Great trip except I was disappointed to see that 3 of the stalls at the Supercharger were taken by some large pickup trucks. At least there was one available spot for me. All three trucks were still there 45 minutes later when we left.

I took my car on the highway for the first time this morning. I drove out to Canmore with my son. Great trip except I was disappointed to see that 3 of the stalls at the Supercharger were taken by some large pickup trucks. At least there was one available spot for me. All three trucks were still there 45 minutes later when we left.
Has anyone made up a nice note that we could leave on their trucks?

Did you happen to mention it to the hotel? Were they receptive to doing something about it?

I think that's a fantastic picture. Beautiful skyline and Canadian flag in the centre.... red and white cars.

- - - Updated - - -

What time would you guys be going? What do you normally do there? Lunch?

Yes.. obviously it's too late now. There is a nice restaurant on the other side of the highway, the place is called Iron Goat. The view is spectacular and the restaurant is not bad at all!

@ggange has one... something along the lines of "how would you like it if I park my EV in front of the gas pumps so you can't fill up" LOL.

I'd like to take a survey of folks who have ICEd a charging stall and find out why they were there: ...laziness? ...didn't think EVs existed? ...nefarious motives? ...didn't see the sign? I wouldn't want to leave a nasty note if they simply didn't see the sign (I know, you'd have to be almost blind, but I would try to be nice about it anyway!), but if they just wanted a convenient open stall and didn't want the hassle of driving through the parking lot to find another ... the above note would be more appropriate. :smile:

One size doesn't fit all, but how about this:

"You are parked in an electric vehicle charging stall. Vehicles not equipped to handle the high voltages present may spontaneously burst into flame."

or, more seriously, this:

"You are parked in an electric vehicle charging stall. While this space is occupied by your vehicle, an EV cannot refuel. Next time, please find a regular parking spot so EVs can refuel. You wouldn't want an EV to hog a spot at a gas station where you fill up, so don't do the equivalent to someone else."