Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Owners in Alberta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I just bought the demo P90D from Chinook. I need it wrapped. I saw a couple posts that mentioned someone (Tera) who does this work but that she cannot do a full hood wrap. I have a couple questions:

1) Has anyone used her and if yes, what were the results?
2) Can she do a full wrap? (I texted her so maybe she will reply and answer directly)
3) If she can't do a full hood wrap, is there someone who does and what are results like?
4) What are costs?

This car is beyond awesome. I guess it will be few more years before the infrastructure for EV's is more robust.

I also have a second question that I also posted elsewhere. I am charging 240V that usually gets 32A, but today is only getting 24A. Has anyone else had this issue? I thought maybe due to cold, but it has been charging for long time now and still at 24A.

Thanks,
Jason

Jason, Here are some great pictures of a full wrap:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...l-Wrap-on-Metallic-Blue-(Calgary-Refine-Auto)

Yup, the Tesla is my winter car. :) The front wrap has been awesome, but the little wrap pieces on the rear quarter panel were too small/weirdly shaped. They didn't wrap forwards into the door sill and they don't come high enough on the rear quarter panel meaning I have chips right on the edge where the fender-door gap is plus I've got chips higher up on the quarter panel. I'd take a picture but my car's filthy right now.

Whom do you recommend in Edmonton for X pel?

In Edmonton I would recommend Car Pretty Edmonton for Xpel wraps :wink:. It was recommended to Me by another member on this site. Check them out at Edmonton Paint Protection and Graphics | Car Pretty. I had my car done there as well. I did the full front including bumper fenders and side mirrors plus A pillar roof kit, I'll probably do the rest later this year :smile:.

Hi,

I just bought the demo P90D from Chinook. I need it wrapped. I saw a couple posts that mentioned someone (Tera) who does this work but that she cannot do a full hood wrap. I have a couple questions:

1) Has anyone used her and if yes, what were the results?
2) Can she do a full wrap? (I texted her so maybe she will reply and answer directly)
3) If she can't do a full hood wrap, is there someone who does and what are results like?
4) What are costs?

This car is beyond awesome. I guess it will be few more years before the infrastructure for EV's is more robust.

I also have a second question that I also posted elsewhere. I am charging 240V that usually gets 32A, but today is only getting 24A. Has anyone else had this issue? I thought maybe due to cold, but it has been charging for long time now and still at 24A.

Thanks,
Jason
My thoughts, and IMHO only.... (there is no right or wrong answer, only what's best for you)... If you're going to do a wrap, go big or go home. Murphy's Law says the spot you don't cover will be the one that takes the damage. If you're doing the hood, I'd do the whole hood.

I would look at the shop that's doing the wrap. You really don't want dust or shmuck under the film if at all possible. A spotlessly clean shop, with some humidity to settle the dust, is the ideal scenario. I don't think I'd be comfortable with someone doing it in my driveway, but I'm a fussy guy.

There are plenty of products out there. I went with the Xpel Ultimate after looking at results of different films first hand, web research etc.

If your charge current has dropped (I'm assuming at home), you should look at the circuit you are using. Is there a significant voltage drop? The car will tell you voltage as well as current. I've seen the car reduce the amperage draw when it sees what it thinks is too much voltage drop (likely wiring is of an inadequate gauge). And once that location (based on GPS coordinates) has had the voltage drop problem, I think the car defaults to that rate unless you attempt to ramp it up with the charge screen amperage up/down buttons. Sometimes if you don't plug the charge connector firmly into the car, it gets concerned and does odd things too.... but I've found that this has become less of a problem with use, rather than more of a problem (seems like the opposite to what logic would suggest).

Congrats on the purchase... you will love it more every day... and just wait until the roads are warm and dry again!

Here is a picture of the wrap on my car in the area I think you mean. She did wrap it around about half an inch inside the fender-door gap.
That's exactly the spot! I wish they would've done that with mine. :mad:

- - - Updated - - -

Auto Obsessed on 63 ave. and 96 st. did mine. I've been moderately happy with the wrap, the problems I've had are that the wrap didn't go around some corners. I don't know if I can fault Auto Obsessed for that though, I've had extremely good service from them otherwise with my Tesla and some of my other cars and I suspect it's just that Xpel has released new templates for cutting their film. This post from Lon12 shows his Xpel wrap on the inside of the rear door opening - mine does that on the hood and on the front fenders but not on the rear quarter panel. My wrap was done 3 years ago; Lon12's was done more recently by a person in Calgary.

- - - Updated - - -

In Edmonton I would recommend Car Pretty Edmonton for Xpel wraps :wink:. It was recommended to Me by another member on this site. Check them out at Edmonton Paint Protection and Graphics | Car Pretty. I had my car done there as well. I did the full front including bumper fenders and side mirrors plus A pillar roof kit, I'll probably do the rest later this year :smile:.

What did they charge you? Auto Obsessed charged me $1700 for a similar kit.

For what it's worth I live in SK so we have comparable conditions, if I was to do-over, I'd probably just get PPF on the hood, and maybe just the front of it. I drive the car daily and anywhere and everywhere. Doing the whole car seems like overkill to me but it's a personal choice how much you get done.

Last edited by a moderator:
Refine did a great job on my car. Full body wrap makes it seem like there is no wrap at all on it. They wrap the film around the borders nicely and people don't notice it's got a wrap until I tell them. What I love is the secure feeling I get against scuffs and scratches, especially during these winter road times. Easy to clean, I am lazy so I take it through the touchless car washes in town.

Don't do it... if you are going to a brush car wash, I'll wash it for you for free at my house. No kidding.

MCMuggets

Very nice of you to offer! But the touchless car wash just uses spray. Arguably I should be using the hand sprayer but so lazy that I go through the machines that spray down the whole car in 6 minutes and then air dry it. I wouldn't be doing this if it weren't for the safety afforded to the car from the Xpel wrap. Speaking of the wrap, for those of you contemplating it, just do it... do the whole car. It is so worth the peace of mind as well as the look of zero-wrapping on the car.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, shout out to the fellow (if you are on this forum) I ran into yesterday in Westhills complex parking lot near Starbucks. Nice 85D in white! It was nice chatting with a new Tesla owner.

Hi Back

A lurker here. Had ordered the X as soon as it was offered but they offered the S "D" late October and as 4wd was in my criterion, I switched immediately. As a consequence, mine is probably one of the first or very early SD's after they finished the performance and other D specials. Mine went into the queue 1st week of January, into line February and in my driveway first week of March.

Regards

Very nice of you to offer! But the touchless car wash just uses spray. Arguably I should be using the hand sprayer but so lazy that I go through the machines that spray down the whole car in 6 minutes and then air dry it. I wouldn't be doing this if it weren't for the safety afforded to the car from the Xpel wrap. Speaking of the wrap, for those of you contemplating it, just do it... do the whole car. It is so worth the peace of mind as well as the look of zero-wrapping on the car.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, shout out to the fellow (if you are on this forum) I ran into yesterday in Westhills complex parking lot near Starbucks. Nice 85D in white! It was nice chatting with a new Tesla owner.

A lurker here. Had ordered the X as soon as it was offered but they offered the S "D" late October and as 4wd was in my criterion, I switched immediately. As a consequence, mine is probably one of the first or very early SD's after they finished the performance and other D specials. Mine went into the queue 1st week of January, into line February and in my driveway first week of March.

Regards
Hi, and welcome to you and to Jawae.

I guess you're not a new owner but welcome to a non-lurking role on the TMC :)

If you're interested in becoming a member of the Alberta Tesla Owners Club please email [email protected] or PM me with your full name, location (city), car specifics, email address and optionally a cell phone number.

Regards
Welcome! Good choice on the Model S - such a great car.

<RANT>
I guess I knew things could be 'interesting' owning a Tesla (for a whole range of reasons). The change to $ per KM fee for ranger service is really starting to irk me, but more-so, I'm bothered by Vancouver Service (not the technicians, who have been great). I haven't received the 7.1 update. As summon isn't here yet, it isn't that big of a deal. I waited patiently, not wanting to bug Tesla, as we are all aware how rollouts can take some time. At the suggestion of someone here on TMC, I reached out to Tesla in case there was a reason why 7.1 was not available to me. I emailed Vancouver, and also called Fremont (or wherever the 800 number goes). Fremont diagnosed the problem immediately, low 12v battery. She said Vancouver would be in touch with me 'very soon' to provide more details and sort it out. This was on Monday.
Again, not wanting to bother anyone, I left it when I didn't hear back Tuesday.... and again Wednesday. Finally I called today. It was confirmed that I needed a new 12v battery, but "the bad news is, since you are in Edmonton, it will be nearly $600 for a ranger visit". She said she would see what she could do to avoid that, and got off the phone. A short while later, she called back and suggested I drive down to Calgary next week (Ranger in town) to get it done for free. I was told he arrives Sunday night "but that would be a late night for you", and leaves prior to Saturday.
Taking a day off work to replace a ~$100 battery wasn't sitting well, but since she offered Sunday, I said I would do that. Ok, she had to get off the phone to make the arrangements, but would call back. Not ideal, but... as I said, I knew things would be Interesting Owning A Tesla.
She called back... Everything is a go, but it'll be $150 for them to overnight the battery to arrive in time.
At this point, I reminded her I put in this request on Monday. Had they gotten back to me in a reasonable timeframe, there wouldn't be this time crunch. She was nice and all during this, but she maintained it would be $150, did I want to proceed or not. The manager is gone until Monday, so she can't escalate it with anyone... Well by the time we got off the phone, she offered to email him, but made no promises since he was off.
A short while later, she called back and Tesla is covering the shipping.

I envy you guys in Calgary, not having to deal with this. So, anyone up for a get together later Sunday afternoon?

I have asked the tech about the possibility of changing it myself (since they are sending it to me) and to avoid a 6hr+ trip for 20 minutes of work. Looking briefly online, it doesn't sound like the battery is all that easy to get to (and I'm not super handy with a screwdriver lol), so I'll see what the Ranger says back

</RANT>
Sorry bout that, but I feel better now ;-)

If there wasn't an update due for 7.1, do you think that you would be notified that the 12V battery was low?
How many km on car now? Yours is Dec 2014? Hope it all works out for you soon.

Part of what bugs me is that I wasn't notified of a 12v issue... not by the car. To your point, if there wasn't the update, I would have kept driving it unknowingly. Having been reading a bit about the 12v issue, it sounds like I would have eventually gotten a warning, and still had some time left before the battery died (leaving me 'stranded'), hopefully. I asked for some more details around when the fault was logged by the car, but the lady I was talking to didn't have that info (she was a new hire, so I'll cut her some slack). I paid Tesla for annual maintenance in advance (which will now cost me $500+, or a trip to Calgary along with a bunch of planning, as I would need to borrow someones garage), so it sure would have been nice had they replaced it when I had it done a few months back... even if it wasn't throwing an error, since they well expect it to. 42500km.
I know (or at least think) that the 12v issue isn't yet urgent. Perhaps I could have waited a month and arranged a more convenient time with Tesla to meet in Calgary on a Saturday... it was just how this unfolded that left me a bit miffed.