Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Owners in Alberta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great idea, unfortunately I won't be able to make it. I'll keep an eye out for the other dates and hopefully I can make it next time.

On a separate note; did anyone visit the destination charging spot in West Edmonton Mall yet? I didn't realize they had one there until today when I was checking my phone app "ChargeHub"
Funny we were there a few weeks ago and valet parked but this wasn't available yet. Good idea.

I attended the Reynolds Alberta Museum History Road car show this past weekend. Weather could have been better, but it was still a decent event. They brought out their 1920 EV (Detroit Electric), and it posed with the Tesla's. This event welcomes car clubs, and it would be pretty awesome to have a dozen+ Tesla's show up next year, if others are interested.
IMG_20160612_154438.jpg

Hey Tesla AB Crew,

This is my first post but I've been a long time lurker of TMC. I'm interested in getting a Model X for my family in the next couple years. I'm having my garage renovated in August so I thought I'd drop in a NEMA 14-50 for my future EV and future proofing in general. I contacted 24/7 Electric here in Calgary and they were great to work with but the quote definitely came out to more than I thought it would.

My panel can handle the added room for the NEMA 14-50 (and even 100 amp from a HPWC if I want) but they have to fish 80' of 3/3 copper wire from the panel to the side of my garage that I want the plug. They also have to cut some drywall in my basement to fish the wire through. The quote for the NEMA 14-50 comes out to be $2,400. If I want to switch it to a 100 amp HPWC later, they would charge another $572 at that time and of course, I would still have to buy the HPWC, so it would be over $1,000 to switch to 100 amp HPWC.

He said Tesla requires them to use certain wiring and procedures, which drives up the price. That's fine, I'm all for safety but I just wanted to gauge if this price is reasonable or not. I'll probably go through it but I guess it was a bit discouraging seeing how these installation costs will be a barrier for EV adoption. A tax credit for this installation (like QC does), would be helpful.

Let me know your thoughts and if this is reasonable given your experiences in the AB area. Thanks.

Hey Tesla AB Crew,

This is my first post but I've been a long time lurker of TMC. I'm interested in getting a Model X for my family in the next couple years. I'm having my garage renovated in August so I thought I'd drop in a NEMA 14-50 for my future EV and future proofing in general. I contacted 24/7 Electric here in Calgary and they were great to work with but the quote definitely came out to more than I thought it would.

My panel can handle the added room for the NEMA 14-50 (and even 100 amp from a HPWC if I want) but they have to fish 80' of 3/3 copper wire from the panel to the side of my garage that I want the plug. They also have to cut some drywall in my basement to fish the wire through. The quote for the NEMA 14-50 comes out to be $2,400. If I want to switch it to a 100 amp HPWC later, they would charge another $572 at that time and of course, I would still have to buy the HPWC, so it would be over $1,000 to switch to 100 amp HPWC.

He said Tesla requires them to use certain wiring and procedures, which drives up the price. That's fine, I'm all for safety but I just wanted to gauge if this price is reasonable or not. I'll probably go through it but I guess it was a bit discouraging seeing how these installation costs will be a barrier for EV adoption. A tax credit for this installation (like QC does), would be helpful.

Let me know your thoughts and if this is reasonable given your experiences in the AB area. Thanks.

I used Panel Upgrade Experts for our 14-50 install. They were able to fish the wire without cutting any drywall in our finished basement. Also only about 20' of wire from my box to the middle of the garage. Charged $550 not including the city permit charges.

Call a different electrician. Don't tell them it's for a Tesla, the quote will likely be cheaper.

He said Tesla requires them to use certain wiring and procedures, which drives up the price
I've never heard of "certain wiring and procedures" before and in any case, the electrical code is what should apply. There is a whole thread on HPWC elsewhere on this forum with pages and pages of information - and some pretty good advice. I don't recall anyone saying that these chargers needed any wiring or procedures other than what is required by code.
Unfortunately, I can't recommend my original electrician as they didn't appear to know the code either and I had to have them modify the installation to make it meet code after the inspection.

I've never heard of "certain wiring and procedures" before and in any case, the electrical code is what should apply. There is a whole thread on HPWC elsewhere on this forum with pages and pages of information - and some pretty good advice. I don't recall anyone saying that these chargers needed any wiring or procedures other than what is required by code.
Unfortunately, I can't recommend my original electrician as they didn't appear to know the code either and I had to have them modify the installation to make it meet code after the inspection.
Thanks. I should have asked for more details about these 'Tesla requirements'. He mentioned something about requiring copper versus aluminium (I think) but that's all the details I got. As recommended, I've scheduled an estimate with Panel Upgrade Experts on Monday so I'm interested to hear what they say and I'll go from there.

Presumably this was an electrician recommended by Tesla? this seems to be a pattern with recommended electricians. Not sure either what "Tesla specified installation" means. might pose these questions in the HPWC thread to see what others think but while Tesla may be accumulating some best practices, these installations should not require anything more than wiring to code. That being said, I can't say if this is a bad price or not as my price was built into other electrical work and in any case my electrician messed up. I do vaguely recall that relatively long runs can really push the cost up, presumably this gauge (#3) is fairly expensive.

Thanks. I should have asked for more details about these 'Tesla requirements'. He mentioned something about requiring copper versus aluminium (I think) but that's all the details I got. As recommended, I've scheduled an estimate with Panel Upgrade Experts on Monday so I'm interested to hear what they say and I'll go from there.

Aluminum is not to code anymore. If you were retrofitting your house, the City would make you upgrade to Copper (Cu) wiring.